• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't wind up Maajid Nawaz"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Do you follow , or even attempt to read, any of what the who's who of population geneticists in that list said? Or do you think your brain farts are sufficient to form a conclusion? And you call me a Feck wit? I honestly feel sorry for you wandering through life in a fog of ignorance.
    I did and their main objection seems to be with the use of the word Race, specifically the definition of a biological race :
    A Troublesome Response: Nicholas Wade Still Avoids the Debate About Race and Genetics | HuffPost

The word ‘‘race’’ is not commonly used in the non-human biological
    literature. Evolutionary biologists have many words for subdivisions
    within a species (Templeton, 2006). At the lowest level
    are demes, local breeding populations. Demes have no connotation
    of being a major subdivision or type within a species. In human
    population genetics, even small ethnic groups or tribes are frequently
    subdivided into multiple demes, whereas ‘‘race’’ always refers
    to a much larger grouping. Another type of subdivision is
    ‘‘ecotype’’, which refers to a group of individuals sharing one or
    more adaptations to a specific environment. Sometimes the defining
    environmental variable is widespread, so an ecotype can refer
    to a large geographical population. However, sometimes the environmental
    heterogeneity can exist on a small geographical scale. In
    such circumstances, a single local area with no significant genetic
    subdivision for almost all genes can contain more than one ecotype
    (e.g., Oberle & Schaal, 2011). Ecotypes are therefore not universally
    a major subdivision or type within a species, but sometimes
    merely a local polymorphism. Ecotypes cannot define ‘‘race’’ in a
    manner applicable to all species, and whether or not ecotypes
    can define human races will be addressed later. Of all the words
    used to describe subdivisions or subtypes within a species, the
    one that has been explicitly defined to indicate major geographical
    ‘‘races’’ or subdivisions is ‘‘subspecies’
    I'm not sure terming those with predominantly African heritage (for instance) as subspecies is particularly helpful with the layman.

https://lesacreduprintemps19.files.w...-in-humans.pdf

If they wanted to use another more accessible term I would be fine with it.

They see race as a social construct not a result of evolution. The majority of the public don't. From the outside it seems to be like redefining genders to include edge cases. It won't be popular and most people won't understand why you want to do it.

As my 'Brain fart' said if they want to rename it then great, but it is a thing at least for many, there do seem to be traits in each 'subspecies' that are interesting and need working with just as there are cultural reasons for actions we should investigate.

I prefer to go round in my 'fog' than I would be like you with my head up my arse.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I honestly feel sorry for you wandering through life in a fog of ignorance.
    Does that mean that you wouldn't feel sorry for him if you weren't wandering through life in a fog of ignorance?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    hmm so we are all really exactly the same, evolution of isolated strains travelled at the same rate and picked the same biological advantage over the millennia. Significant differences in appearance & physical composition of these different 'races' is just a quaint symptom and has no effect on their abilities. Makes perfect sense maybe there was a sky fairy in charge?

I do feel sorry for those that suffer certain diseases more because their ancestry and the strain they came from obviously had nothing to do with it.

Ass you really are a feckwit.

Now if the scientists wanted to describe the evolutionary strains differently and avoid the race word I can see a point in that, how about "Common Ancestry" or "Darwinian strain". But to try and convince people that disjointed systems kept to the same plan and level of progress in different parts of the world with different environments is laughable. Up until 2000 years ago procreating with anyone over 100 miles away was shockingly rare.

With the best engineering and design we still synchronise our time with a single source so it stays valid. However we are expected to believe the outcome from separate evolution processes which is billions of times more complex than keeping time manages to stay in sync over millions of years and billions of random chances.
    Do you follow , or even attempt to read, any of what the who's who of population geneticists in that list said? Or do you think your brain farts are sufficient to form a conclusion? And you call me a Feck wit? I honestly feel sorry for you wandering through life in a fog of ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Aussieschlong is not very bright nor well educated.
    So he was taken in by a journalist who wanted to sell a book (controversial books about race sell well).
    Unfortunately 140 population geneticists I.e. The people who really know about this stuff signed a letter saying he was talking bollox:
    Geneticists decry book on race and evolution | Science | AAAS

HTH! BIKIW
    hmm so we are all really exactly the same, evolution of isolated strains travelled at the same rate and picked the same biological advantage over the millennia. Significant differences in appearance & physical composition of these different 'races' is just a quaint symptom and has no effect on their abilities. Makes perfect sense maybe there was a sky fairy in charge?

I do feel sorry for those that suffer certain diseases more because their ancestry and the strain they came from obviously had nothing to do with it.

Ass you really are a feckwit.

Now if the scientists wanted to describe the evolutionary strains differently and avoid the race word I can see a point in that, how about "Common Ancestry" or "Darwinian strain". But to try and convince people that disjointed systems kept to the same plan and level of progress in different parts of the world with different environments is laughable. Up until 2000 years ago procreating with anyone over 100 miles away was shockingly rare.

With the best engineering and design we still synchronise our time with a single source so it stays valid. However we are expected to believe the outcome from separate evolution processes which is billions of times more complex than keeping time manages to stay in sync over millions of years and billions of random chances.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Very interesting read.
    If you're a gullible cretin, yes. Oh wait ....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    It's an old debate but this article speaks on the biological basis of race. And Time has a left leaning bias Sue.

Former New York Times Science Editor: Race Is Real | Time.com

The liberal left will not push anything that makes them look heartless. Even if it is for the greater good of the indigenous working class.
    Very interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Thanks that article is exactly what I was trying to say. i.e. Vive Le Difference! Not all races are the same and anyone who says otherwise is a racist.
    Aussieschlong is not very bright nor well educated.
    So he was taken in by a journalist who wanted to sell a book (controversial books about race sell well).
    Unfortunately 140 population geneticists I.e. The people who really know about this stuff signed a letter saying he was talking bollox:
    Geneticists decry book on race and evolution | Science | AAAS

HTH! BIKIW
    Last edited by sasguru; 15 August 2017, 20:11.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    It's an old debate but this article speaks on the biological basis of race. And Time has a left leaning bias Sue.

The liberal left will not push anything that makes them look heartless. Even if it is for the greater good of the indigenous working class.
    Thanks that article is exactly what I was trying to say. i.e. Vive Le Difference! Not all races are the same and anyone who says otherwise is a racist.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    WHS. You knew where you were with the Krays. They only did their own and you could leave your door unlocked.
    Not quite correct. They would shank anyone. But they did shake your hand first.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Sounds like you've explained Brexiters down to a tee...
    Of course pretty sure all the Remainers love it when a bunch of pikeys show up, rob their telly and tulip on the couch!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Do please explain what you understand the terms to mean. Show references if you wish.
    I really wouldn't bother.

You won't get much more than one liners in response.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I think you are just deliberately trying to avoid the argument by being pedantic.

Fact is that people who grew up with different influencing factors will have different (not better or worse) brains - this is not something we can or should try and change.

Also people who grew up with different influencing factors will also have different cultures, standards and values - some of these are incompatible with the cultures, standards and values of the country they have moved to and so they need to to stop.

If they refuse to stop and instead bring about enclaves and subcultures and insist on continuing to practice these cultures, standards and values when they are in direct contravention of the host countries laws must be stopped and removed - if needs be by force.

And that is apparently a racist attitude.
    Sounds like you've explained Brexiters down to a tee...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your whole post shows you don't know the difference between nationally, ethnic group and race.

No wonder SAS piped up.
    I think you are just deliberately trying to avoid the argument by being pedantic.

Fact is that people who grew up with different influencing factors will have different (not better or worse) brains - this is not something we can or should try and change.

Also people who grew up with different influencing factors will also have different cultures, standards and values - some of these are incompatible with the cultures, standards and values of the country they have moved to and so they need to to stop.

If they refuse to stop and instead bring about enclaves and subcultures and insist on continuing to practice these cultures, standards and values when they are in direct contravention of the host countries laws must be stopped and removed - if needs be by force.

And that is apparently a racist attitude.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Your whole post shows you don't know the difference between nationally, ethnic group and race.

No wonder SAS piped up.
    Do please explain what you understand the terms to mean. Show references if you wish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X