• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Overseas purchases - warning to fellow CUK cheapskates"

Collapse

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    More importantly this is what is going to happen to anyone in the EU buying British goods. Day one after Brexit watch sales in the UK collapse for companies offering goods into the EU. Some people refer to this as a "cliff edge".

So much for the clever cloggs retort that the US have no problems selling stuff into the EU.

But option 2 is most likely, so this won't happen.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    This is what it’s going to be like after Brexit for everything from EU.

Still control of our borders what..
    More importantly this is what is going to happen to anyone in the EU buying British goods. Day one after Brexit watch sales in the UK collapse for companies offering goods into the EU. Some people refer to this as a "cliff edge".

So much for the clever cloggs retort that the US have no problems selling stuff into the EU.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    This is what it’s going to be like after Brexit for everything from EU.

Still control of our borders what..

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I'm utterly gobsmacked that there is any live adult human who doesn't know this already.

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Do they ever re-request it?
    Well yeah, but not via any legitimate process I recognise that would ever end up in court.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SeanT View Post
    Because companies like this deliver first and then try to bill you later, I've been known to pay the duty only (via bank transfer to account details they supply) and their additional admin fee (sometimes more than the duty) somehow slips my tiny little mind...
    Do they ever re-request it?

Leave a comment:

• SeanT
    replied
    Because companies like this deliver first and then try to bill you later, I've been known to pay the duty only (via bank transfer to account details they supply) and their additional admin fee (sometimes more than the duty) somehow slips my tiny little mind...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why not buy British? There are some very good British inflatable sheep. So I am told....

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Surprised they delivered it first and then asked for the duty and VAT, usually they want that up front before delivery.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    the fee used to be about £70.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    That's why you need to be careful when receiving or sending gifts
    Me send gifts???? I'm safe on that one.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Ahh such an innocent.

Royal Mail can charge you the same.

That's why you need to be careful when receiving or sending gifts outside the EFTA as to their value.

BTW You also need to be careful when shipping your own stuff from abroad using a courier.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    I've been caught by this. Bought something off a random web site, turned out it came from China.

The worst bit is that it's not just the VAT you pay, you have to pay the courier an admin fee in the region of £10 as well. (Edit: sorry, I see you mentioned the fee.)

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    started a topic Overseas purchases - warning to fellow CUK cheapskates

Overseas purchases - warning to fellow CUK cheapskates

Never heard of this before, so tip to anyone else. Brought something from the US, got home to find it had been left with a neighbour.

Shortly afterwards got a phone call from DHL asking for a duty/VAT payment + fee. I assumed it was a scam but after a few online checks, including HMRC site, I found it wasn't. Apparently overseas purchases often do not include duty and VAT which is then charged by the delivery company. Then they add a fee.

Bah!!!! Bloody government - biggest fraudsters of all!

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
    Pay duties and taxes, customs duty for personal goods shipped by DHL
    UK Buying USA Import VAT Customs Duty Parcel Force Fees | eBay

Working...
X