• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Staff shortages pushing up wages..."

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It may be coincidence, but I've noticed a marked increase in emails for my saved contract searches over the last month or so.

So far then Brexit is suiting me just fine, if it means less competition from overseas contractors resident in the UK.

(Nothing against them personally whatever, but I put my own needs first.)
    Even if this is true, it's stage 1. Unfortunately IT (and many other service sector industries) is a non-location-specific industry:

1. Shortage of labour, wages rise
    2. Companies decide to offshore faster/move jobs to cheaper countries - private sector jobs decline
    3. Tax take from private sector declines, squeeze on public sector finances - public sector jobs decline

Thus does a country become poorer. Only those with exceptional skills can buck the trend.

Stage 3 seems to have escaped some public sector Brexiters notice - the same people who talk about Corbyn's magic money tree seem to think it doesn't apply to them

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Exactly this.....
    Says the man who sees a valid business opportunity in a hotel that bans Jews.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I'm not sure that is entirely true. The rules of the club do say things about the rights of EU citizens who work in the UK. There was of course plenty the UK could have done to control immigration of non-EU citizens and also some significant changes that could have been made around EU citizens.
    The rules are EU citizens have to be treated the same as UK citizens.

However there was nothing stopping the government consulting it's lawyers to make the restrictions make sense.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    So, if it is to control the number of people entering the country, why blame the EU for the Home Secretary failing to do their job?
    It isn't the EU who decides who we can or can't let in.
    It isn't the EU who decides who gets or doesn't get housing or free healthcare
    The UK Home Secretary is in charge of out borders, not the EU
    The UK Health Secretary is in charge of who pays what for the NHS. The EHIC doesn't give people free healthcare. In some countries you pay for it.

So, why was the EU blamed for failures of the UK government?
    I'm not sure that is entirely true. The rules of the club do say things about the rights of EU citizens who work in the UK. There was of course plenty the UK could have done to control immigration of non-EU citizens and also some significant changes that could have been made around EU citizens.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    think this was the underlying reasons for Brexit, the competition for resources, be it Jobs / housing / healthcare etc, not a bunch of xenophobes
    So, if it is to control the number of people entering the country, why blame the EU for the Home Secretary failing to do their job?
    It isn't the EU who decides who we can or can't let in.
    It isn't the EU who decides who gets or doesn't get housing or free healthcare
    The UK Home Secretary is in charge of out borders, not the EU
    The UK Health Secretary is in charge of who pays what for the NHS. The EHIC doesn't give people free healthcare. In some countries you pay for it.

So, why was the EU blamed for failures of the UK government?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    think this was the underlying reasons for Brexit, the competition for resources, be it Jobs / housing / healthcare etc, not a bunch of xenophobes
    Exactly this.....

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It may be coincidence, but I've noticed a marked increase in emails for my saved contract searches over the last month or so.

So far then Brexit is suiting me just fine, if it means less competition from overseas contractors resident in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    BBC reporting today that the flow of non-UK workers coming to the uk April-June 2017 has slowed to 100k per quarter from 225k+

Need to wait until October to see if this is just a blip.

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    BBC reporting today that the flow of non-UK workers coming to the uk April-June 2017 has slowed to 100k per quarter from 225k+

Need to wait until October to see if this is just a blip.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Pay in GBP or in real money terms?
    GBP

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Pay in GBP or in real money terms?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Too much money concentrated in the hands of too few leads to a lack of velocity of money.
    I don't know, those hyper yachts can shift when they need too....

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    Too early for it to be a firm trend but lest we forget the Tier 1 and 2 Visa changes we flagged on this forum in April will be having an effect.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Me too.

Like for example The Coop.
    You mean Co-op Bank? They are a bit fecked....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I'm a big fan of cooperatives - like john Lewis.
    Me too.

Like for example The Coop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X