• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Flagstone Flooring

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flagstone Flooring"

Collapse

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    There is always the possibility that you'll unleash an ancient evil.
    Cool

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    There is always the possibility that you'll unleash an ancient evil.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    Make sure your tinkering with the floor doesn't end up becoming a 'renovation of a thermal element' and becoming subject to building regs and the utter stupidity within.

#BitterExperience
    It'll send my EPC rating through the roof, that's for sure. All this insulation & double glazing - it's no wonder I have damp issues. These old properties are supposed to be able to breathe.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Make sure your tinkering with the floor doesn't end up becoming a 'renovation of a thermal element' and becoming subject to building regs and the utter stupidity within.

#BitterExperience

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Your wife does not have a damp problem. At least not with you.
    strange she is always dripping wet when I pop round.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    you have a damp problem.
    Your wife does not have a damp problem. At least not with you.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If there's a damp issue, the first thing to do is remove the paint from the walls. The number of people who try to solve damp in old buildings with non-breathable paint is amazing.
    Your walls need to breathe. Seal them and you have a damp problem.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The problem is that those stones will be bloody freezing which is why they were probably badly covered in the first place.

The fact that the beams are rotting means that moisture has been collecting in the form of condensation.

You would need to do some more examinations and go from there. I might be tempted to rip the floor up and then decide wether or not to lay a damp proof course and insulation under the flag stones to reduce the cold and wet. this will never be a simple job feel free to post some pictures...

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    If it's old enough, you might find only soil underneath the flagstones.
    I have to dig some of mine up every few years and infill. -usually the place where we stand in front of the woodburner.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    As a fan of horror, I am concerned you might release all the evil spirits that have been buried there.
    Have you seen the movie Christine about a Big Red Plymouth....?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    As a fan of horror, I am concerned you might release all the evil spirits that have been buried there.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    I know there's a few old country cottagers on here
    You're not wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Our house is 1920's so not an old cottage but my view is people are only too quick to cover the period features up and the end result generally looks a lot worse. e.g. our house has four fireplaces, only one was in use, I opened up two more and it looks better and gets better airflow.

You might find the chipboard(!) is covering up some issues that have been hidden away, probably just an uneven floor but maybe damp (ironically made worse by the addition of wooden flooring and double glazing.
    Yes - the wooden batons were completely rotten.

Originally posted by sal View Post
    If you decide to go for it bear in mind that you might have to change the doors and patch the walls (if a drywall was slapped only extending to the new flooring) as there will be a gap at the bottom and also there will be a step/tripping hazard on each doorway, unless you lower all rooms accordingly.
    I was thinking of getting a nice bit of hardwood with a chamfer on it to butt up to the raised areas.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    what he says, but be careful you haven't just uncovered the original hearth.
    you might be best taking up some unobtrusive bits at the opposite corners to get an idea of the extent of flagstone floor.
    You see, I knew it wasn't a waste of time posing on here. Shame I've just returned the multitool to Brandons...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones human remains under that.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    You could also try lifting one of the flagstones to see if there's a older layer of Saxon flagstones under that.

OH in Time Team "Look what Oi've foind doiwn 'ere Tony!" mode.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X