• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why the UK cannot compete"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Yeah but how many?

In order for most kids ( 12 - 14?, I think I was that old when I did my round, 6 days a week, Saturday was the killer all the papers were twice as heavy ) to have a paper round, most people would need to have a paper delivered.

Since most people don't have a paper delivered, most kids cannot do a paper round.

It's simple supply and demand init?
    I've seen 3 different kids on different streets delivering weekend papers. I've seen two different newsagents in their cars in two different area which are next to each other delivering daily newspapers in their cars.

The areas are wealthy parts of London.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They do in my area do paper rounds and kids do some of the deliveries.
    Yeah but how many?

In order for most kids ( 12 - 14?, I think I was that old when I did my round, 6 days a week, Saturday was the killer all the papers were twice as heavy ) to have a paper round, most people would need to have a paper delivered.

Since most people don't have a paper delivered, most kids cannot do a paper round.

It's simple supply and demand init?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Why not fined the father instead of a 5 years child?
    Actually they should have used a bit of common sense, it's a 5 year old girl making some pocket money, not a business. Absolutely pathetic

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Why not fined the father instead of a 5 years child?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Same down here where it's mostly small towns and villages full or retirees still upholding the old traditions.

Saw a paperboy just the other morning, though he may have been taking the postie's bicycle for a joy ride.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Kid's doing paper-rounds? Pretty much no kid does a paper round these days for the simple fact that almost nobody get's a paper delivered anymore.

Kid's don't do milk-rounds either for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    So why do the school kids settle for a paper round
    Kid's doing paper-rounds? Pretty much no kid does a paper round these days for the simple fact that almost nobody get's a paper delivered anymore.

Kid's don't do milk-rounds either for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    So it's ok to get around trading laws by using kids. Sounds like something the drug paddlers have known for ages.

Then again if their rules state you have to be 18 or over to get a licence then all those under 18 can trade without. So why do the school kids settle for a paper round, when they can just set up a stall selling whatever they want anywhere they want.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    UK is a sick bunny and needs....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you don't film the child, how do the parents know to pay the ransom?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Since when has it been illegal to film a child?
    Are you being serious?

You go to a local playpark and whip your camera out - see if you can get some shots of 5 year olds on a swing and coming down the slide.

You'll be lucky to get out alive.
    Quite possibly, but that doesn't address the legality of filming a child.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The private sector would be worse. They would have full time enforcement officers backed up by a firm of solicitors and collection officers.

Just look at what has happened in London Burroughs when parking enforcement is privatised. You get over zealous parking wardens.
    indeed good point, well made.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Typical systemic public sector culture of absolute omni-incompetence.

Honest to god, they should say to every single office based public sector employee "We're going to be getting someone, anyone, in from the Private Sector to shadow your job for 3 months. At the end of it, they're going to take over on a trial period of one month whilst you have garden leave. If after that, they appear to do a better job (whilst not expecting to be rewarded for failure, or to be employed for life), then your contract is terminated.."

That would solve the issues in the public sector overnight (well after 3/4 months).
    The private sector would be worse. They would have full time enforcement officers backed up by a firm of solicitors and collection officers.

Just look at what has happened in London Burroughs when parking enforcement is privatised. You get over zealous parking wardens.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Our local council sent out a reminder that it was the last chance to pay 40 notes for a twice weekly garden bin collection for the year and then their hard working underpaid workforce went on strike so no collections so far, a refund

Leave a comment:

• rl4engc
    replied
    Typical systemic public sector culture of absolute omni-incompetence.

Honest to god, they should say to every single office based public sector employee "We're going to be getting someone, anyone, in from the Private Sector to shadow your job for 3 months. At the end of it, they're going to take over on a trial period of one month whilst you have garden leave. If after that, they appear to do a better job (whilst not expecting to be rewarded for failure, or to be employed for life), then your contract is terminated.."

That would solve the issues in the public sector overnight (well after 3/4 months).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X