• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BBQ Time

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BBQ Time"

Collapse

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    As sardinhas só são boas no mês de Junho/Julho quando estão bem gordinhas.
    Eu nao sabia disso. Obrigado.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Yep, the misses popped into Sainsburys and bought 4, just as a tester.

She is a bit funny with fish, so far she only likes Salmon and Sea Bass. She couldn't even bring herself to try the sardines because of the smell. I had a couple, just plain and thought the taste was lovely. Will definitely be looking up a few recipes in the future.
    I'm the same. Hast to be very fresh & as a rule I only have it by the coast but now I'm across the border into Dorset may be having a bit more

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Neat. You had that tonight?

In my own case, I tend to avoid supermarket fish. They sell it as fresh but it's all been frozen and I often find it too dry. Flavour can be tainted too. Often the same thing with the fishmonger on your local market.

I always order mine from the local pub who get a daily delivery from Lyme Regis & all the boats down there are day boats so you always know it's never been frozen.
    Yep, the misses popped into Sainsburys and bought 4, just as a tester.

She is a bit funny with fish, so far she only likes Salmon and Sea Bass. She couldn't even bring herself to try the sardines because of the smell. I had a couple, just plain and thought the taste was lovely. Will definitely be looking up a few recipes in the future.

I'm not sure I have many options in Manchester for fresh fish?? I get our meat from a great butcher in Flixton, makes all the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    I may give that a go - Fish Friday at Waitrose.

Have to say I was surprised at the lovely taste of the sardines. The misses didnt like the smell and the flies flocked to it but as a taster, just sardines on their own, lovely.
    Neat. You had that tonight?

In my own case, I tend to avoid supermarket fish. They sell it as fresh but it's all been frozen and I often find it too dry. Flavour can be tainted too. Often the same thing with the fishmonger on your local market.

I always order mine from the local pub who get a daily delivery from Lyme Regis & all the boats down there are day boats so you always know it's never been frozen.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Sim. Gosto de sardinhas
    As sardinhas só são boas no mês de Junho/Julho quando estão bem gordinhas.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Pesto stuffed mackerel.

Get the person on the Waitrose fish counter to head & gut the fish.
    Make the pesto (I use home grown basil, rocket and garlic with some roasted pine nuts, olive oil and salt) and leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
    Make 3 scores down either side of the fish, put pesto into the scores and put some into the cavity.
    Wrap in foil, or cook it on a hot plate. 4 minutes one side, 3 the other.

Not only is it quick, easy and tasty, the fish is sustainable, British, and very good for you.
    I may give that a go - Fish Friday at Waitrose.

Have to say I was surprised at the lovely taste of the sardines. The misses didnt like the smell and the flies flocked to it but as a taster, just sardines on their own, lovely.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    SARDINES!!!!

Are you calling me?
    Sim. Gosto de sardinhas

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Fancy doing a fish dish, just need some ideas?
    Pesto stuffed mackerel.

Get the person on the Waitrose fish counter to head & gut the fish.
    Make the pesto (I use home grown basil, rocket and garlic with some roasted pine nuts, olive oil and salt) and leave it in the fridge for a few hours.
    Make 3 scores down either side of the fish, put pesto into the scores and put some into the cavity.
    Wrap in foil, or cook it on a hot plate. 4 minutes one side, 3 the other.

Not only is it quick, easy and tasty, the fish is sustainable, British, and very good for you.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by MeMeMe1966 View Post
    Blimey that's expensive! I only get 5 BBQs max out of a 10KG bag. The fuel is more expensive than the meat!
    I agree but the food tastes better! I've ordered another bag but yep something cheaper would be better.

Leave a comment:

• MeMeMe1966
    replied
    I think I'm going to finish early and have a BBQ.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blimey that's expensive! I only get 5 BBQs max out of a 10KG bag. The fuel is more expensive than the meat!

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Grilled sardines but I can never find them fresh enough.
    SARDINES!!!!

Are you calling me?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Ok so have the sardines, chicken, corn on the cob and German beer. All sorted.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The old man will do it for you for a small fee.
    'Bone' (Urban Dictionary: bone) Sardines he must have a smaller pecker than AssSnob no wonder you stray.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Boning raw sardines sounds like hard work. I've always done them cleaned but with the bone still in.
    The old man will do it for you for a small fee.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Got some from Waitrose, right or wrongly I cleaned and boned them before putting them on the fire.
    Boning raw sardines sounds like hard work. I've always done them cleaned but with the bone still in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X