• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any IT contractor voting Labour will pay less tax than under the Tories"

Collapse

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Politicians now understand there's been a step change in the stupidity of the population - for the first time since the Victorian age, there are more stupid than clever people in the country. When that's the case, you can induce them to vote against their own interests.

Demographic analysis shows that the its the least educated and poorest who now support the Tory party:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/04/25...iding-britain/

They shouldn't whine when a combination of Brexit and Tory economic policy squeezes them to death (literally in some cases) .
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    So yes the 'well educated' - e.g. those who have been a permanent student and now have 2 or 3 degrees and a PHD and have lived/worked inside educational institutions for their life are more likely to vote labour - I think we kind of know that.

However being well educated does not correlate with having 'intelligence' or being a 'high earner' as such these findings are completely irrelevant.
    QED.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Politicians now understand there's been a step change in the stupidity of the population - for the first time since the Victorian age, there are more stupid than clever people in the country. When that's the case, you can induce them to vote against their own interests.

Demographic analysis shows that the its the least educated and poorest who now support the Tory party:

They shouldn't whine when a combination of Brexit and Tory economic policy squeezes them to death (literally in some cases) .
    So yes the 'well educated' - e.g. those who have been a permanent student and now have 2 or 3 degrees and a PHD and have lived/worked inside educational institutions for their life are more likely to vote labour - I think we kind of know that.

However being well educated does not correlate with having 'intelligence' or being a 'high earner' as such these findings are completely irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And that is the right thing!
    Agreed.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Haven't read the manifesto, but I have two political pamphlets arrive in my letterbox this morning.

The Labour one is from the local candidate, she's the sitting MP with a wafer thin majority. It discusses Brexit briefly, but also the NHS, local housing issues, and her record in parliament.

The Tory one is from Theresa May, and is double-A4 and alternates between
    - Brexit. Strong and stable
    - Corbyn. Hung parliament and chaos
    - Brexit. Opponents will ruin our chances of the best deal. Only we can get the best deal, and we don't need any opposition to this
    - Corbyn. A vote for him weakens my negotiating position
    - Brexit. A vote for me strengthens my negotiating position.
    - Corbyn. Did I mention hung parliament and chaos?
    PS. Strong and stable leadership.

I still have no idea who the Tory candidate is, or what their policies are except "not chaos". Apparently.
    Don't forget the crushing of saboteurs.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I don't understand the ones who are going to vote Tories? Have you read May's manifesto?
    Haven't read the manifesto, but I have two political pamphlets arrive in my letterbox this morning.

The Labour one is from the local candidate, she's the sitting MP with a wafer thin majority. It discusses Brexit briefly, but also the NHS, local housing issues, and her record in parliament.

The Tory one is from Theresa May, and is double-A4 and alternates between
    - Brexit. Strong and stable
    - Corbyn. Hung parliament and chaos
    - Brexit. Opponents will ruin our chances of the best deal. Only we can get the best deal, and we don't need any opposition to this
    - Corbyn. A vote for him weakens my negotiating position
    - Brexit. A vote for me strengthens my negotiating position.
    - Corbyn. Did I mention hung parliament and chaos?
    PS. Strong and stable leadership.

I still have no idea who the Tory candidate is, or what their policies are except "not chaos". Apparently.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The particular system in use was designed to never allow a party a majority.
    And that is the right thing!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Damn, you beat me to it .... was going to say the exact same myself. Shaun doesn't do facts unless it comes from the Mail or a big painted bus.
    He does find truth at the bottom of Buckfast bottle.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Don't confuse him with facts. The Water Gate has been open since 8 a.m., and they've got the Cider Festival on.
    Damn, you beat me to it .... was going to say the exact same myself. Shaun doesn't do facts unless it comes from the Mail or a big painted bus.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Are they allowed to do that under devolution?
    As TM says, there is already PR. SB is a simpleton, so take no notice.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Just listened to some sanctimonious whining SNP woman on the radio waffling on about how "people want to see real democracy".

Well if that is the case, and being as how the SNP hold sway over the political direction of Scotland with their "mandate", why don't they instigate a Proportional Representation system into the next Elections to the Scottish Parliament?

Nobody can seriously argue that to do so would not be moving towards "real democracy". But I expect that the hypocritical charlatans will not consider doing any such thing.
    Are they allowed to do that under devolution?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    There is a proportional representation system you ******* dick
    Don't confuse him with facts. The Water Gate has been open since 8 a.m., and they've got the Cider Festival on.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Just listened to some sanctimonious whining SNP woman on the radio waffling on about how "people want to see real democracy".

Well if that is the case, and being as how the SNP hold sway over the political direction of Scotland with their "mandate", why don't they instigate a Proportional Representation system into the next Elections to the Scottish Parliament?

Nobody can seriously argue that to do so would not be moving towards "real democracy". But I expect that the hypocritical charlatans will not consider doing any such thing.
    There is a proportional representation system you ******* dick

Had there not been, the constituency seats would have been something like 59/7/3 SNP/Tory/Lab

You should read up on how it works, but it does actually end up with total seats (constituency seats plus list seats) being relatively close to the % vote overall. The particular system in use was designed to never allow a party a majority.

If there hadn't been a proportional system, Ruth Davidson would not have been an elected MSP until the most recent election, Labour would have had a majority in the first two terms, and the last two would have been massive SNP landslides. Only the SNP's first term in power would have been a coalition or minority government, which it was anyway.
    Last edited by TestMangler; 19 May 2017, 09:05.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I don't understand the ones who are going to vote Tories? Have you read May's manifesto?
    and the alternative is?

Jezzybull

Tim Far out

or Nutty Nuttal?

None of them have any real sensible ideas.

I suppose we could vote for SNP it will be back to the noughties.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    1.5m imaginary shiny new homes to be built by 2020, what's not to like...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Project Fear. If you don't vote for the Tories, you're not really British. It worked for Brexit, the schmucks will vote with them again, doesn't matter what they do.
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's strong and stable.
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Unlike the mental state of those who will be voting tory

Leave a comment:

Working...
X