• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh FFs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh FFs"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So no treatment for anyone in A&E who is drunk? No treatment for smokers or obese?
    Not to mention crossing the road! No-one is forced to cross a road.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Totally agree. Individual freedoms are fine provided others don't have to pick up the bill.
    So no treatment for anyone in A&E who is drunk? No treatment for smokers or obese?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Cultural sensitivities should not be given precedence over the very real harm that consequently takes place. Also it just gives the intolerant more and very real ammunition to demonise. Western liberal democracies should be robust in not allowing unhealthy practices just because its 'traditional'
    Totally agree. Individual freedoms are fine provided others don't have to pick up the bill.

Cultural and religious practices should also not be allowed to trump civilised, rational and humane laws. We should ban halal and kosher slaughter and circumcision. Why are we tolerating the unnecessary mutilation of infants? Of course any such suggestion is called Islamophobic, anti-Semitic etc,

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    The thing is nowadays, banning marriage is not the same as banning making children. Plenty of couples are having kids without marriage.

Much better solution is to establish the relation between the parents in the pre-natal exams, then make them aware of the risks and make them sign a waiver that the state is not going to finance any genetic disabilities caused by the inbreeding.
    Everyone should be sterilised until they can pass an exam assessing their suitability as parents.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Isn't that why the queen selected a different father for Andrew and Edward?

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    The thing is nowadays, banning marriage is not the same as banning making children. Plenty of couples are having kids without marriage.

Much better solution is to establish the relation between the parents in the pre-natal exams, then make them aware of the risks and make them sign a waiver that the state is not going to finance any genetic disabilities caused by the inbreeding.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Cultural sensitivities should not be given precedence over the very real harm that consequently takes place. Also it just gives the intolerant more and very real ammunition to demonise. Western liberal democracies should be robust in not allowing unhealthy practices just because its 'traditional'.
    Funnily enough most of the first cousin marriages I know about are in white British population.

The problem with some other cultures is because they marry cousins over generations, like the Royal families did in Europe, even if they aren't marrying a first cousin they are still too closely related if there is a blood or other genetic disorder in the family.

I know one of my school friends' sisters' married a second cousin and the subsequent birth defects were due to this. As a result my friend and her next sister married who they liked pointing this out to their parents. The parents were devastated to have sick grandchildren.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My wife only told me they were related. She only got involved when they had to take 3 of them, that the parents had tried to look after at home, back into care.

The parents had them tied up in a cellar, they wanted the greatly enhanced carers allowance that comes with profound disabilities.

How sad.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Was this a half-sibling relationship or a cousin relationship?

I heard years ago when I was a teenager that this is a major problem in parts of the Middle East e.g. Saudi.

There are also female Labour MPs in the NW who campaigned to stop cousin marriages in their local communities due to the impact it had on the children and families. The national Labour party wasn't impressed....
    My wife only told me they were related. She only got involved when they had to take 3 of them, that the parents had tried to look after at home, back into care.

The parents had them tied up in a cellar, they wanted the greatly enhanced carers allowance that comes with profound disabilities.

Cultural sensitivities should not be given precedence over the very real harm that consequently takes place. Also it just gives the intolerant more and very real ammunition to demonise. Western liberal democracies should be robust in not allowing unhealthy practices just because its 'traditional'.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Half brothers and sisters, not uncommon for some cultures to have more than one wife, although only one is 'offical' in this country.

One family my wife has had to deal with had produced seven profoundly disabled boys, both physical and learning difficulties before they stopped. All need 24 hour 2 to 1 care.
    Was this a half-sibling relationship or a cousin relationship?

I heard years ago when I was a teenager that this is a major problem in parts of the Middle East e.g. Saudi.

There are also female Labour MPs in the NW who campaigned to stop cousin marriages in their local communities due to the impact it had on the children and families. The national Labour party wasn't impressed....

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So what degree of kinship is permitted that's closer than cousins?
    Half brothers and sisters, not uncommon for some cultures to have more than one wife, although only one is 'offical' in this country.

One family my wife has had to deal with had produced seven profoundly disabled boys, both physical and learning difficulties before they stopped. All need 24 hour 2 to 1 care.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Time to ban marriages amongst cousins or closer.
    So what degree of kinship is permitted that's closer than cousins?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Well that'll be half of Cornwall fecked then.
    and the Isle of Wight

Ofsted chairman quits after Isle of Wight 'inbreeding' comments
    Ofsted chairman quits after Isle of Wight 'inbreeding' comments

and the royals

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    fine, Norfolk might have issues as well.

No fear or favour!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X