• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK Expats in Europe"

Collapse

• SandyD
    replied
    btw What happened with Malta issue?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

The Brexit trap that's closing on Britons who live in Europe

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...live-in-europe

UK citizens living in Europe will end up with fewer rights than EU citizens living in the UK after Brexit and fear they could be “locked in” to the country where they have moved to, it has emerged.

“The EU citizens in the UK will be able to travel freely if they want they go to another country. I can’t. I have two opportunities – one is to remain here for the rest of my life or the second is to go back to the UK. We are landlocked,”

“You regularly see the 3 million EU citizens in the UK and 1.2 million UK citizens in the EU in the same sentence as if they are in mirror positions,” he said. “They are not. UK citizens will lose all their rights, EU citizens do not. We are in a far worse position.”

UK citizens won’t lose their rights, they simply won’t be able to use them while they live in the UK,” Hole said. “They will still have the right to live in another EU country, the right to work there, the right to freedom of movement, the right to have their qualifications recognised.

Our position is we will have none of these,” he went on. “The 1.2 million UK citizens living in Europe will lose all their acquired EU rights after Brexit. How we address that remains a question her
    I, as a UK citizen, lose my European citizen rights in 27 countries, other EU nationals lose their rights in one country the UK. Hardly a good deal for the UK and certainly not democratic or fair to those UK nationals who live in other parts of the EU,” said Bernadette Faulkner, who has lived in Munich with her British husband, Alan, since 1977.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMax
    I am going the Irish Passport route myself
    Sadly my family are boringly English.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm going the dodgy East European geezer in the pub route
    See if you can get one for me?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    There are already a few that are sweating that the UK will no longer be bound to keep increasing their pensions in line with inflation.
    They shouldn't have voted out then..

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    You are quite right and the same goes for the rest of the EU. My suggestions are in support of obtaining a residents permit.

If Brexit goes horribly wrong, there were be many disappointed property owners who will be bound by the three or six month stay limitation.
    There are already a few that are sweating that the UK will no longer be bound to keep increasing their pensions in line with inflation.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    +1. 10 more months to go.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Poor British refugees, don't worry most of the European countries are open to receive you all... for now.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    NLYUK putting on accents again?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I am not moving to quire citizenship or to get EU passport to work in Europe, I genuinely just want to move to retire kind of thing, its something I wanted to do for a while but needed to do some contracts to pay more of the mortgage...I'd also like to take my family with me, which maybe a problem as they are too young to retire. I can show income like BTL ( however one doesn't know how the BTL will pan out after Brexit if its a hard Brexit !!)

My grandparents are not Irish ...
    Interesting where, Mediterranean ?

A lot of Germans retire in Turkey so it I doubt it will be a problem.

What about similar places in the UK such as Bognor Regis?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not the expats I know. Brexit has just speeded up the intent to become a citizen of the only true democracy in Europe.

You want to be careful of that. Owning property or even a ltd co in Switzerland will not give you a residency permit, nor a work permit, meaning you're limited to 3 months stay if you're not part of the EU. I can imagine that once Britain has left the EU, British citizens will find that they are in a similar situation.
    You are quite right and the same goes for the rest of the EU. My suggestions are in support of obtaining a residents permit.

If Brexit goes horribly wrong, there were be many disappointed property owners who will be bound by the three or six month stay limitation.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

A first move would be to open up a bank account in the country of your choice. (Do this NOW).
    Many countries won't allow you to open up a bank account without a permanent address in the country along with proof that you reside there such as a utility bill

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    UK Expats in Europe...............and ye shall knowest them by their interminable whining and bitching about the democratic wishes of a country they have long since departed and stopped contributing to.

Not the expats I know. Brexit has just speeded up the intent to become a citizen of the only true democracy in Europe.

There are some EU countries that don’t recognise dual citizenship but the rule is not enforced with the exception of Austria. In fact the EU says that citizens should not be barred from having dual nationality.

Residency is the main path to obtaining citizenship but it is not the only factor. Owning property will help a lot as it is proof of address and proof of paying council tax and utility bills.

A first move would be to open up a bank account in the country of your choice. (Do this NOW).

Another tip is to open up a limited company in the country of your choice even if it is dormant. Some countries will encourage new business start-ups and you can start up a company with one Euro and a free business bank account.
    You want to be careful of that. Owning property or even a ltd co in Switzerland will not give you a residency permit, nor a work permit, meaning you're limited to 3 months stay if you're not part of the EU. I can imagine that once Britain has left the EU, British citizens will find that they are in a similar situation.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    I recall long time ago many here had properties in France, I think a few actually had their families living in France while they go contracting wherever required. Am sure some of you may have properties in Spain and the like... I expect the ones who were there for a while can get an EU passport.. what about the ones who just owned a holiday property?

What is the view with regards the Brexit now?? I have planned to move to Europe someday permanently, am contracting in Europe now, but would like to move permanently not for work, just to live there. I know its a bad time now with guarantee of UK expats rights living in Europe.. anyone have any thought on moving at this bad time??
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    On the legalities, a period of residency (not property ownership) is required to qualify for citizenship. Some countries (like Spain) do not recognise dual citizenship, but I don't know whether in practice they have a way of enforcing the repudiation of British citizenship.

Do you happen to have an Irish grandparent? Irish citizenship through birth or descent
    There are some EU countries that don’t recognise dual citizenship but the rule is not enforced with the exception of Austria. In fact the EU says that citizens should not be barred from having dual nationality.

Residency is the main path to obtaining citizenship but it is not the only factor. Owning property will help a lot as it is proof of address and proof of paying council tax and utility bills.

Another tip is to open up a limited company in the country of your choice even if it is dormant. Some countries will encourage new business start-ups and you can start up a company with one Euro and a free business bank account.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X