• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Growing old under Generation Y"

Collapse

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Bloody boomers. Or is it Gen X? I forget what they all are.
    Generation X

My Generation by Generation X c/w Dancing with Myself

Generation X (Billy Idol)

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    JUst call them Billy Idol...

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Who is to blame for that generation's failed parenting skills?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Then you've only got your own generation to blame for not bringing your kids up right.
    Who is to blame for that generation's failed parenting skills?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I miss Gricer.
    More than you miss herpes?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I think it's made up bollox and that you peaked with your famous five style homoerotic outings in the country. But that's just my tuppence.
    I miss Gricer.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I largely agree with that. When I was a kid we respected our elders. It was normal for us kids to keep an eye on the elderly and shop for them etc. These days it is more common for the youngsters to show resentment to the elderly however, this seems totally opposite to young Europeans I have met.
    Then you've only got your own generation to blame for not bringing your kids up right.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Couldn't care less. I'm generation X. I'll be in my old age on my baby boomer parents' money.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Unending tedium.
    Tediu

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    I was having a really inneresting discussion ...
    I stopped reading there, because the daft way you spell "inneresting" is really antoying!

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    hmmm...

Well if the technology is that shaky that there's some chance I'm going to need to override its autopilot in the first instance there's not a cat in hell's chance I'll be getting in one of these contraptions anyhow.

I'd feel safer getting a lift from one of our local's regulars who gets so pissed he has to be carried out to his car in the carpark.

Disclaimer: Even though said drunken soak makes his drunken way home through the country lanes, I wish to make it clear that I totally disapprove of this behaviour.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 8 May 2017, 11:46.

Leave a comment:

• doconline
    replied
    I was having a really inneresting discussion about this at the bar of my local hostelry on Friday night with our resident grouch who is generally quite excoriating about the Gen Y, and he seems to think that life isn't going to be much fun for us when we're all old.

Let's face it - when some of us are in our dotage the millenials & their offspring will be running the show.

What with their safe spaces and general namby-pambyness, I think it's entirely possible that they'll enact legislation to prevent anyone over a certain age from driving a car. I can also see a situation where old people will be forced out of their homes & into state approved care homes via punitive taxation or more direct methods.

The future could be rather scary for us budding crumblies.

Besides, as they all spend way too much time in cyberspace and somehow believe that science fiction is going to become reality (c/f the thread bout simulated reality, belief that immortality will be achieved within their lifetimes) maybe a type of Logan's Run world will come to pass & nobody is allowed to live past a certain age. Except, of course, the elite who can afford the elixir of immortality.

What do you think?
    Hopefully won't affect me, I plan to be living overseas somewhere warm within 7-10 years if I can keep contracting for that long and one of the southern European countries will let me live there, if not it will have to be further afield.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Oh, and the other topic of discussion (since none of you has bitten) was this; Will you be able to use a driverless car to get back home from the pub while p!ssed?

We came to the conclusion that some killjoy somewhere will decree that you need to be fully compos mentis in case you have to veride the car's driverless function for whatever reason.
    What? Like this you mean?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-car-elon-musk

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I was having a really inneresting discussion about this at the bar of my local hostelry on Friday night with our resident grouch who is generally quite excoriating about the Gen Y, and he seems to think that life isn't going to be much fun for us when we're all old.

Let's face it - when some of us are in our dotage the millenials & their offspring will be running the show.

What with their safe spaces and general namby-pambyness, I think it's entirely possible that they'll enact legislation to prevent anyone over a certain age from driving a car. I can also see a situation where old people will be forced out of their homes & into state approved care homes via punitive taxation or more direct methods.

The future could be rather scary for us budding crumblies.

Besides, as they all spend way too much time in cyberspace and somehow believe that science fiction is going to become reality (c/f the thread bout simulated reality, belief that immortality will be achieved within their lifetimes) maybe a type of Logan's Run world will come to pass & nobody is allowed to live past a certain age. Except, of course, the elite who can afford the elixir of immortality.

What do you think?
    I largely agree with that. When I was a kid we respected our elders. It was normal for us kids to keep an eye on the elderly and shop for them etc. These days it is more common for the youngsters to show resentment to the elderly however, this seems totally opposite to young Europeans I have met.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Unending tedium.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Oh, and the other topic of discussion (since none of you has bitten) was this; Will you be able to use a driverless car to get back home from the pub while p!ssed?

We came to the conclusion that some killjoy somewhere will decree that you need to be fully compos mentis in case you have to veride the car's driverless function for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X