• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Transferable Skills"

Collapse

• The_Equalizer
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Sounds like a sequel to Lock, stock and two smoking barrells.
    On a bit of a tangent, anyone seen RocknRolla? Stumbled across it over Easter and really rather enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Imagine you're a coder but have had enough of IT, the money isn't that important to you anymore but you need to carry on working for another 10 years.

Is there anything that would pay, say £30-40k pa for which you would be suited without retraining?

I can't help feeling the choice is stick with the status quo. get a plan b together or just site for a cr@p paying McJob.
    Well if you like cycling, why not become a Deliveroo rider?

I heard this morning that McDonalds are introducing a home delivery service.

Quite tempted to put myself out to tender as it happens as I feel I have a competitive edge in terms of the number of happy meals I can carry on my 'bent.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Imagine you're a coder but have had enough of IT, the money isn't that important to you anymore but you need to carry on working for another 10 years.

Is there anything that would pay, say £30-40k pa for which you would be suited without retraining?

I can't help feeling the choice is stick with the status quo. get a plan b together or just site for a cr@p paying McJob.
    Viola

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/McDonald's/salaries

Business Manager

37 salaries reported

£31,315 per year

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Funnily enough a friend knows the real person who the posh weed grower was based on
    If he's got any bundles of cash that need counting, i've got a free weekend

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Funnily enough a friend knows the real person who the posh weed grower was based on

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    The original was 'Golf, masturbating & strangling animals'.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    A friend of mine became a floorwalker at the local 6th form college.
    Not an option for BBP - not since the incident.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Golf, masturbating and torturing animals.

Leave a comment:

• motoukenin
    replied
    Problem with any product based idea is the marketing, getting your product out there even on a modest scale can cost 100K plus, seen a number of betting and stock market apps going nowhere because the dev has not been able to attract a significantly large enough investment.

Steps for creating a business are fairly straight forward:

1) Find or develop a product that you get excited about needs to be a new idea to attract attention
    2) Get Angel investors or less likely bank finance to market and sell the product
    3) Get a team together that have skills in selling and marketing on a budget
    4) Export to other countries, bear in mind that you can get charged anything from 5 - 10 K per country to make sure a product meets that specific country product regulations
    Last edited by motoukenin; 27 April 2017, 06:57.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    I'm setting up a betting farm. It's matched betting on the grid scale.

I already developed most of the automated betting software. But I need smart manual labour to place the initial bets - screen scraping doesn't work.

I'm looking for smart undergrads that have compsci and maybe some stats knowledge. But I can teach them the stats- that's the easy bit. There's no intelligence there. Stats is the low hanging fruit of the maths world.
    Friend of ours (a single mum) used to do that for a company. It was very attractive to her working from home and with no set hours. I believe she had a degree and career etc. but the kids interrupted it.

Maybe a good source of staff?

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    screen scraping doesn't work.
    Have you tried SikuliX?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    [QUOTE=Fronttoback;2408261]I'm setting up a betting farm. It's matched betting on the grid scale.

I already developed most of the automated betting software. But I need smart manual labour to place the initial bets - screen scraping doesn't work.

I'm looking for smart undergrads that have compsci and maybe some stats knowledge. But I can teach them the stats- that's the easy bit. There's no intelligence there. Stats is the low hanging fruit of the maths world.[/QUOTE]

You are obviously 'thick as mince' (Copyright AssSnob 2010)

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Farming

I'm setting up a betting farm. It's matched betting on the grid scale.

I'm looking for smart undergrads that have compsci and maybe some stats knowledge. But I can teach them the stats- that's the easy bit. There's no intelligence there. Stats is the low hanging fruit of the maths world.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied

You could go back on the game.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied

How about............... Instead of working 10 years for GBP 300k total. Why not stay as a contractor and earn the same GBP 300k in 3 years?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X