• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's a Bob (agent/resource)?"

Collapse

• squarepeg
    replied
    Originally posted by mjcp View Post
    Reading a few posts, I gather imported staff are sometimes referred to as "Bobs" and that Indian agents/agencies/outsources are also occasionally referred to as Bobs.. So, what's a Bob (as it seems, multiple people/things can be one...) ?

Cheers..

mjcp
    It's a noun used to describe Johnny Foreigners of Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi descent employed for very low wages in the IT industry and sitting far too close to the white strapping boys from Kent (mostly pro-Brexit).(*)

(*) To be fair, one has to acknowledge that the aforementioned groups seem to be incapable of learning to speak the version of English spoken by the other group which prevents them from understanding each other. This flaw of character frequently leads to completely different definitions of the meaning of words "deliverables", "delivered", "complete" (with the exception of the phrases like "complete idiot", "completely ****ed"), "working", "failed", "honest", etc.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Reading a few posts, I gather imported staff are sometimes referred to as "Bobs" and that Indian agents/agencies/outsources are also occasionally referred to as Bobs.. So, what's a Bob (as it seems, multiple people/things can be one...) ?

Cheers..

mjcp
    Bob = Bottom of barrel (a reference to the typically substandard work performed by certain bodyshop companies, which tended to be from a particular part of the world). So a "Bob" is generally someone who has been selected solely on the basis of being cheap.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Ah, Thanks for the responses, I thought it was something along those lines...

Re the link to Mr Shawadiwadi's entry.. a nice little giggle in the absence of a BOFH this week.

mjcp
    Whats a <SNIP - I will save the Mods the Trouble>

I would imagine the term originally came about due to the term "Achha" (pronounced ah-chha), along with the pronounced head shake.

New to most, but not those that had spent a lot of time in India for years.

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Ah, Thanks for the responses, I thought it was something along those lines...

Re the link to Mr Shawadiwadi's entry.. a nice little giggle in the absence of a BOFH this week.

mjcp

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Best to keep it that way IMO. Make my blood boil that place.
    As much as CUK? Considering <mod deleted> as racist term is just silly.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Never been there in my entire life
    Best to keep it that way IMO. Make my blood boil that place.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
    Never been there in my entire life

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    It is a term that was of its time.

Its use is no longer encouraged and I remove it and replace with the nationality of the person it refers to.

Unless it refers specifically to Mr Shawadiwadi.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I missed that one at the time

Leave a comment:

• europetractor
    replied
    Still Bobs are more like lords or dukes compared to eastern europeans or russians. I think it is because those have never been conquered.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    There was only ever one Bob.

Bob Shawadiwadi
    Ah yes.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/ind...140318-20.html

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes it's a racist term. Just like jock is for a Scottish person.

Rasism, you get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    There was only ever one Bob.

Bob Shawadiwadi

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied

Cheers..

mjcp
    Bob is a racist CUK term for Indian. A bit like Dago (as in Diego) for Spanish speaking people.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X