• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The 50 year old programmer"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I guess you don't mean this one.

It must be this one

Yes, that's essentially my hair style - without the beard.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Don't care - 'cos I lived in a civilised country with reasonable tax laws, not your IR35 raddled hell-hole of a land.
    Did they force you to have the same silly haircut as your leader?

..Oh, and keep an eye out for U.S. Battleships.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    ..and this. ..and this. ..and this.

No Direction and Control here, your Honour. None whatsoever.
    Don't care - 'cos I lived in a civilised country with reasonable tax laws, not your IR35 raddled hell-hole of a land.

I did nearly end up doing some R. But thankfully the work turned out not to be necessary.

Leave a comment:

• 56samba
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    There was a "motorbike regatta", where hundreds of blokes dressed up in 30-40's dapper gear, rode into town on their vintage motor bikes.

Admittedly some of them didn't look ridiculous, but a lot of them did.

I guess you're talking about the DGR www.gentlemansride.com the charity ride raising millions globally for mens cancer charities. It was a lot of fun

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I enjoyed being a manager, but much prefer coding. My clients will say "can you do this and this?" on some new bit of technology. I just say yes... and enjoy the pressure of having to deliver.
    I enjoyed managing, and studied a management degree, which was surprisingly interesting. Found that I enjoyed developing more though.

A mate moved up to Newcastle to take on a management role within his company. First day he had two women come into his office, they where arguing and crying. Obviously a long standing feud and saw the new manager as an opportunity.

Anyway, he asked to go back to programming before the day was out. If anyone is interested the women that wasn't the bosses daughter was let go.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    My clients will say "can you do this and this?"..
    ..and this. ..and this. ..and this.

No Direction and Control here, your Honour. None whatsoever.

I swept those floors because..? They were dirty!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I enjoyed being a manager, but much prefer coding. My clients will say "can you do this and this?" on some new bit of technology. I just say yes... and enjoy the pressure of having to deliver.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost

Ah, the smell of punched card chad in the morning, it smells of ........ History
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I find it interesting that this seems to be about programming more than IT in general. I found that after 5 years of programming (PL/1 IBM Mainframe) it all got a bit boring and I had no desire to start completely from scratch. I moved to a DBA role and have felt that this normally expands and progresses rather than starting from scratch all the time although I'm now seeing the programmer mentality creeping in which seems to create a whole new database platform to fill a small gap in functionality of the existing ones. These address the gap but throw away all the good features of the existing solutions.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Kids.

Not a punched card between 'em.

Now, when I were a lad...

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Full dressers?
    No, regular tourers.

I prefer to stay in a hotel at my destination, rather than drag it along with me.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Really good read, got me thinking a little.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Linky: Software Developers After 40, 50 and 60 Who Hate Being A Manager, But Love Coding.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post

For the record, I've two motorcycles. So I guess I must really have some issues.
    Full dressers?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

My point is, I'm an older woman and I'm absolutely loving it. Wonder if I'd feel more self conscious if I were a man?
    Inneresting

Leave a comment:

Working...
X