• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looks like it is kicking off in Sweden"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Great! Tell him hello from moi. Has he still got them online somewhere?

This last one six months ago, couple of young females. Unfortunately this Norwegian bloke only recorded when just me and some other bloke up there. Bah!

https://www.facebook.com/NordpoolenG...4513494298344/

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    BTW Xogg, Mike sends his regards and says he still has some dodgy photos of you dancing with that bird in Derby!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Still managing the mad dancing. RR was certainly one of the most boring contracts I ever had even by aircraft standards. What happened to erm.. forgotten his name now, that nice chap you sat next to? (Mike?)
    Yes it was Mike. He's up at Warton, I was there with him for a while until last year. He's just come out of a long-term relationship and is nowTindering his heart out.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Ah. A mention of ancient history and Gibbon is back. How ya doin' Gibbon?
    I've just started reading his book. Fascinating stuff.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Still managing the mad dancing. RR was certainly one of the most boring contracts I ever had even by aircraft standards. What happened to erm.. forgotten his name now, that nice chap you sat next to? (Mike?)

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Not so bad Xogg, seems a long time from mad dancing at Xmas 2005 in Derby. You Ok? I went back to RR a few times, each time worse, never again.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Funky?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Of course Aeneas was going to have a few spats with the prejudiced and xenophobic indigenous Italians

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    According to the comments below the blog that is a load of tosh.
    Indeed I just though bet she is a bremainer.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Quite. Totally unpreventable given all the lorries on the roads in cities.

Maybe we should stop this daft PC pretence that the current wave of terrorism in Europe it is nothing to do with migrants and minorities, the products of previous migration, and control our borders properly. If we only took in high performers who accept our core values and integrate we would not have these problems.
    Odd..

All the recent terrorism comes via imans who were given money to indoctrinated people via Saudi Arabia. Saudis aren't exactly poor.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    "Of course Aeneas was going to have a few spats with the prejudiced and xenophobic indigenous Italians, but he brought Trojan style and enterprise, accepted that his people needed to learn the indigenous language if they were to stay, and helped found the alliance of peoples which constituted the Roman Republic. If the sophisticated Trojans hadn’t come to Italy, it would have remained the narrow-minded provincial backwater they discovered there. Instead, they (along with the locals and immigrants from Greece who had already got there) helped create the economic miracle that was ancient Rome."

So it's Ok to invade a backwater? As long as you bring 'civilisation' then slaughter, sorry 'spats' are ok?

Economic miracle? Rome was never more more than a subsistence economy driven to it's limit, underpinned by plunder and slavery.

Hall is a self-promoting Greek professor constantly trying to advertise the supposed relevancy of ancient, and particularly Greek culture. It isn't relevant, in any way, far too alien, but is fascinating in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    I thought mentioning the M word was an instant ...?
    It is. M for moment, m for millisecond. They're all synonyms for instant.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied

Maybe we should stop this daft PC pretence that the current wave of terrorism in Europe it is nothing to do with migrants and minorities, the products of previous migration, and control our borders properly. If we only took in high performers who accept our core values and integrate we would not have these problems.
    You can never tell who is going to integrate well. Having said that, high performers might have a better chance to become high earners and that can help them become more peaceful, because once you have some worldly possessions you are less likely to want to stop enjoying them. When you have little and see little chance of climbing the social ladder, you may think that blowing yourself up is an attractive way to vent your frustration. I don't think people fleeing the war want to be in Europe, they's rather go back, but once a war starts rolling, there is no way of telling when it's going to end. Accepting our values sounds easy, but it's difficult to do in practice, because even if they try to do so, they are constantly reminded that they are different, foreign.

This is what Sadiq Khan had to say when he wrote an introduction to his "Fairness not Favours"

"(...) no matter how hard I try not to allow my faith to define me as an MP – no matter how many times I ask not to have my religion precede my occupation when I am introduced or described – the fact is that others do often define me by my faith."

I think this is a shared experience among foreigners, not just Muslim. As soon as they look/speak/dress/behave different than the majority of the local population, they will be branded in a certain way and they may not be able to ever shake it off. Eastern Europeans were often called "communists" before 2000. Now they are called "economic migrants". Anyone with a brown skin is now a Muslim or a terrorist.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

far too sensible

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    It's certainly simpler and cheaper than getting hold of the right kind of explosives for a suicide bombing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X