• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK threatens Spain with war over gibraltar"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Where would we find young people stupid enough? Maybe tell them there is free wifi over there?
    We wait for the weather to warm up a bit, and tell them the beer's cheaper over there. To seal the deal, we'll send over some of our slappers, make sure they get really paralytic and our brave troops will have free blowies (and perhaps more) for the duration of their service.
    Apart from a cost to the NHS in treating iffy diseases, it'll be the cheapest war we ever fought.
    A few more summers like that, and the Spanish will have forgotten all about Gibraltar. Problem sorted.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    If it come to handbags, I have a plan. We'll send a few hundred thousand young volunteers to Spain under civilian cover, to fight the locals, smash up strategically important installations (such as bars and nightclubs), and turn parts of Spain into mini warzones, without the Spanish government suspecting anything. Do we think it's a goer?
    Where would we find young people stupid enough? Maybe tell them there is free wifi over there?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Hmmm.......inneresting.

Anybody over a certain age will remember that the border between Gibraltar and Spain was closed until, what, the late 70s?

If you were in Spain and wished to get onto the Rock, the easiest way in was to take the ferry from Algeciras to Ceuta and then get the ferry from Tangiers back over to Gibraltar.

Pretty convoluted huh?

Anyway, the last time I was in Gib I was sold an out of date mivvi. On its packet it said "Not to be sold individually" and it also displayed signs of having been thawed and refrozen.
    I was very disappointed as I haven't had a mivvi since I was a girl.

That said, I went to one of the many eateries that feature Chicken Kiev on the menu. Haven't had that since the seventies either....

I can also highly recommend the HMS Breakfast fry-up at the Lord Nelson pub should any of you ever be visiting.
    Very much a boy now though

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Hmmm.......inneresting.

Anybody over a certain age will remember that the border between Gibraltar and Spain was closed until, what, the late 70s?

If you were in Spain and wished to get onto the Rock, the easiest way in was to take the ferry from Algeciras to Ceuta and then get the ferry from Tangiers back over to Gibraltar.

Pretty convoluted huh?

Anyway, the last time I was in Gib I was sold an out of date mivvi. On its packet it said "Not to be sold individually" and it also displayed signs of having been thawed and refrozen.
    I was very disappointed as I haven't had a mivvi since I was a girl.

That said, I went to one of the many eateries that feature Chicken Kiev on the menu. Haven't had that since the seventies either....

I can also highly recommend the HMS Breakfast fry-up at the Lord Nelson pub should any of you ever be visiting.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Everyone knows there isn't going to be any military conflict with Spain, it's just embarassing having an ex Tory minister sounding like a 3rd world tinpot dictator on prime time TV. The fact that the papers run with it and get some ex naval commander to talk about how they can singe the King of Spain's beard just raises the level of excruciating embarassment.

If it come to handbags, I have a plan. We'll send a few hundred thousand young volunteers to Spain under civilian cover, to fight the locals, smash up strategically important installations (such as bars and nightclubs), and turn parts of Spain into mini warzones, without the Spanish government suspecting anything. Do we think it's a goer?

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    At one time people thought there would never be a war with Argentina over some piece of rock.
    Oddly the gvmt of the day was quietly withdrawing (the only Navel vessel was a research vessel and it was being withdrawn iirc) and was engaging the Argies in 'talks' (Douglas Hurd iirc).

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    If the Spanish start cutting up rough over Gibraltar, the UK could always resuscitate the Perejil Island Crisis and stir up trouble over Ceuta and Melilla

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    I'm pretty sure attacking a member state of NATO would have pretty dire consequences, remember it's a defensive pact not an aggressive one.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    At one time people thought there would never be a war with Argentina over some piece of rock.
    Spain and the UK are both members of NATO. Argentina wasn't, still isn't. If Spain starts being stupid, I'm sure the US will make a phone call and tell them to stay away from the military installations.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Everyone knows there isn't going to be any military conflict with Spain, it's just embarassing having an ex Tory minister sounding like a 3rd world tinpot dictator on prime time TV. The fact that the papers run with it and get some ex naval commander to talk about how they can singe the King of Spain's beard just raises the level of excruciating embarassment.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    That would not be a bad thing as long as the essential facilities are there. Unfortunately, Britain is going to look like Bow, with dozens of high-rise blocks of flats and not a single cafe or restaurant, a couple of Tesco Express shops, one dry cleaner, one gym and a couple of tiny food shops for miles... if you live there you need to take 4-5 stops on the DLR to get to the nearest place (Canary Wharf or Stratford) where you can sit for coffee or a bite. It's a gulag with new studios being offered for 350K-450K, for a cage with a fold-out bed.
    The UK has shown they will not tolerate that.

Leave a comment:

• squarepeg
    replied
    Presumably by weeds and bushes you mean parks?

Do you want the whole of the UK to look like Canary Wharf?
    That would not be a bad thing as long as the essential facilities are there. Unfortunately, Britain is going to look like Bow, with dozens of high-rise blocks of flats and not a single cafe or restaurant, a couple of Tesco Express shops, one dry cleaner, one gym and a couple of tiny food shops for miles... if you live there you need to take 4-5 stops on the DLR to get to the nearest place (Canary Wharf or Stratford) where you can sit for coffee or a bite. It's a gulag with new studios being offered for 350K-450K, for a cage with a fold-out bed.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    This excuse is as old, worn and false as it is convenient. Even in inner London there are large swathes of wasteland with nothing but weeds and bushes, so not exactly a green belt. Not even talking about repurposing farm land or green

The labour+material cost for a 2 bedroom flat is less than 100k, the other 200k+ go to line up the pockets of the councils and the large building companies, which are working in a cartel to stem the flow of new builds to milk the market. So heer is a thought - use some of the 50bn of the HS2 budget to build a couple of 100'000s homes, then sell them with 100% markup, return half the money back to the HS2 budget and use the other half to build another couple of 100'000s homes. But of course that would be too sensible and will wreck the GDP which artificially inflated by house price bubble.
    Presumably by weeds and bushes you mean parks?

Do you want the whole of the UK to look like Canary Wharf?

Perhaps you would also like to restrict humans to 4 feet high? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_%27Em_Out_by_Friday

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    This excuse is as old, worn and false as it is convenient. Even in inner London there are large swathes of wasteland with nothing but weeds and bushes, so not exactly a green belt. Not even talking about repurposing farm land or green

The labour+material cost for a 2 bedroom flat is less than 100k, the other 200k+ go to line up the pockets of the councils and the large building companies, which are working in a cartel to stem the flow of new builds to milk the market. So heer is a thought - use some of the 50bn of the HS2 budget to build a couple of 100'000s homes, then sell them with 100% markup, return half the money back to the HS2 budget and use the other half to build another couple of 100'000s homes. But of course that would be too sensible and will wreck the GDP which artificially inflated by house price bubble.
    of course. I have a book on the illuminati if you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X