• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Longest train commute/ train in south east."

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    In case it's useful - I know of a room in a shared house becoming available in a month's time. It's in Slough... which some will laugh at, but it's an 8 min walk to station and then a 21 min fast train to Paddington.
    I lived in shared house once. Could never get in the bath/toilet. One of the other guys was always in there knobbing his girlfriend in the bath. Must have been comfier than the bed I guess.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's cool. Din't mean to be condescending. I hear those years with the little ones are the quickest to pass by.
    Nah no problem. Needs must and all...

I guess you're lucky....

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    <snip>
    Considering a role in London. 1hr 45 by train. Pricing is nuts - £216 for a one off return or £234 for a weekly season. I think every day would be bit mad but it might be worth doing the trek home once/twice a week.

Anyone do similar? Am I living in a fantasy world though expecting trains into/out of london at peak times to be not rammed full?

Bugger driving though - even google maps is telling me up to 4 hours for the drive in the morning...
    In case it's useful - I know of a room in a shared house becoming available in a month's time. It's in Slough... which some will laugh at, but it's an 8 min walk to station and then a 21 min fast train to Paddington.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    3 hours door to door each day (up to 2 days WFH in theory, although in practice I needed to be with the rest of the team most days so i'd head it to main site, or another office anyway), and it is tiring. Been doing it for 6 months and was planning to be on this project until the end of the year but called it a day and self benched from this Friday. I backfilled for me so leaving on good terms. For me though, it wasn't so much the travel that done for me, but the extra hours expected to be worked on top - definitely not smooth project, and all the extras just makes it unsustainable.

If work was more controlled then i could easily have stuck it out, but for me the work wasn't fun so easier to bail and look forward to a long hot summer

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Done that for quite a few years and don't miss it one bit but they wouldn't go for the WFH malarky. I used to catch that train each Monday - scoff my fry up and try to get some sleep. Leaving the house that early is crap as it means you have to be up at 4 - making Mondays a very long day. I used to have to be out for 4:20 and have one of the selection of local nutter taxi drivers who would ferry me into town.

I used to work in Geneva and it was a shorter and cheaper commute than virgin trains
    I'd fly down - it's only 35 minutes runway to runway - if it weren't for the fact that flights from Manchester to London all land at Heathrow.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Probably not too bad compared to some. At least Im home most nights...
    That's cool. Din't mean to be condescending. I hear those years with the little ones are the quickest to pass by.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Actually that's a little sad.

Spend a lot of time throughout the day with mine, don't appreciate it until I read something like this.
    Probably not too bad compared to some. At least Im home most nights...

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday.
    Done that for quite a few years and don't miss it one bit but they wouldn't go for the WFH malarky. I used to catch that train each Monday - scoff my fry up and try to get some sleep. Leaving the house that early is crap as it means you have to be up at 4 - making Mondays a very long day. I used to have to be out for 4:20 and have one of the selection of local nutter taxi drivers who would ferry me into town.

I used to work in Geneva and it was a shorter and cheaper commute than virgin trains

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Spend a lot of time throughout the day with mine, don't appreciate it until I read something like this.
    so PC taught you all the tricks of signing on?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    You get used to it. Up at 545, in office by 8. Leave 4 or 430 - home by 530 or 6.

See the kids before the youngest goes to bed. Not a problem. .

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I woke up at 7.30am this morning.The commute downstairs to the office was strenuous, one of the kinder left their toy car on the stairs. Nearly took me out I tell you.
    You actually walked? I often roll takes much less energy.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Spepific reasons? P taking hours?
    Hours and 'culture'.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    I know you should never say never... but in the case of working with Accenture again it would be accurate
    Spepific reasons? P taking hours?

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Accenture is different role.... :-)
    I know you should never say never... but in the case of working with Accenture again it would be accurate

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    This +1.

The 2 minute commute from the bathroom to the desk can be too much some days

In addition in another post PC mentions Accenture, I cannot see this working out well
    Accenture is different role.... :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X