• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whats best for a short term contract"

Collapse

• CarlHammonds
    replied
    Sorry I meant Sole Trader. Seems like its this or the umberella, I do have a close relationship with the company I am working with.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd initially be tempted by sole trader if this is with someone you know... there are indemnity issues and many companies won't deal with sole traders but this sounds more likely a small company wanting some freelance work doing?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What's a small trader? That's not a company structure I'm familiar with.

I would do umbrella if I had no intention of doing another contract ever again.

You can't create a LtdCo, trade for a few months and then close it down without having to submit something. There'll be paperwork and taxes somewhere along the line and the costs (time and money) won't be worth the return for the short amount of time you're talking about.
    Depends.......

Actually you can, often with a few other "Directors".

If you live in India and are going to return there within 2-3 years, its a very viable (albeit illegal) and profitable option

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

You can't create a LtdCo, trade for a few months and then close it down without having to submit something. There'll be paperwork and taxes somewhere along the line and the costs (time and money) won't be worth the return for the short amount of time you're talking about.
    I would expect that OP means sole trader.

I wouldn't have imagined an umbrella is that efficient for only 1-2 days per week.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Depends.....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    For short term I would just go with an umbrella, unless there are several facts you're not telling us.
    Are you currently in a permanent job?
    Are you planning on doing more contracts after this one?
    Have you spoken to your accountant?

Leave a comment:

• CarlHammonds
    started a topic Whats best for a short term contract

Whats best for a short term contract

Hi there,

I have been offered a short term contract, 3 to 4 months, 1-2 days a week. Which is the best one to set up:

a) a limited company.
    b) Use an umberella agency.
    c) set up as a small trader.

In the past I have been a limited co. but I closed this about 2 years ago.

Could I not just set up as a Ltd co. and close the co down after 3-4 months, not having to do a annual return?

Working...
X