• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Developer Timekeeping"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I guess its about perception. Contractors and perms are not always judged by the work they do but rather that their timekeeping fits in with the majority.
    This, sadly.

Too many managers simply don't trust their workers (permie or contractor) if they don't see them at their desk 9-5pm.

They assume the worker MUST be slacking (because that's what they'd do themselves?).

They simply cannot fathom that those different work hours, whether it be from really early (2 guys in my team are in at 7am every day) or later simply works for them for whatever reason.

Maybe they do the school run, maybe they are a one car family and their other half needs a lift, maybe the rush hour traffic isn't worth it, maybe they want to be home to have dinner at a normal time with their family, and a million other reasons.

Now, there is obviously good reason to have core hours for work collaboration reasons, which really is what the OP wants. But they should be sensible and allow for flexible working, which is the way the world is moving (where possible obviously, there are many jobs where it cannot work)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I didn't say it was, it was merely an observation of the 8-4:30 crew who don't realise how long people often stay.
    I can turn up to clients any time from 7am

I know some people work early and others work late, both having time to avoid the chitchat in the office so some productive work is actually done.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And this is a big deal because?
    I guess its about perception. Contractors and perms are not always judged by the work they do but rather that their timekeeping fits in with the majority.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I didn't say it was, it was merely an observation of the 8-4:30 crew who don't realise how long people often stay.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Eat humble pie damn you - you know Kaiser78 is right. Remember "You will respect my authoritah!"
    Kaiser is NAT? Noooooo, I liked Kaiser.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Eat humble pie damn you - you know Kaiser78 is right. Remember "You will respect my authoritah!"
    Alright then, if I have to...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Everyone loves working with the class snitch, it's great for team morale. That and the team huddles, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Everyone loves working with the class snitch, it's great for team morale. That and the team huddles, of course.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Loads of people there to see you turn up at 10am. Not a soul in sight to see you leave at 8pm.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Loads of people there to see you turn up at 10am. Not a soul in sight to see you leave at 8pm.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Just to update on this thread from last week...

Said developer has been spoken to has agreed to be in the office earlier when required, no issues. Simple discussion simply resolved.

So those who said this was a case of micro management and questioned OPs intelligence, sadly way of the mark in this instance. Enjoy the humble pie.
    So you can't explain why you need a meeting at 8.30am. You can't explain why the other developers can't work until you have this meeting. You can't explain the lack of communication within the team. I'm guessing you have demotivated the contractor by making him change his hours. There is a good chance now that the contractor will jump ship at the next offer of a decent contract, taking his knowledge with him that the team seem to rely on so much.

Pretty piss poor day at the office for you.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OP - so are you this guys PM or manager or just another team member?!
    He's the carpark attendant.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    OP - so are you this guys PM or manager or just another team member?

If you're just another team member then, I'd be well peed off if another contractor was getting involved and whinging about me. None of anyone elses business.

Expecting someone to do the exact hours you want them to do unless there is a very good reason is OTT. Fair enough, everyone can be expected to make an effort for a specific thing but its not school and theres no school bell for first lesson!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The humble pie makes you look a bit of a pillock. Of.course he's going to come in earlier. You've not won anything.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X