• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Terrible luck! SHLTNLUK(Should Have Listened To NLUK)"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And she's regretted deferring the Jury service ever since.....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    I declined twice within a couple of years. First time the reason was hardship (divorcing, ex-wife and child depending on my income). The second time (I'd been out of contract for eleven months and got the call for jury service to start the same day as a new gig) was also hardship. So if there's a genuine reason there's no harm in at least asking for a second deferral.
    interesting to know.

I declined because of a major project and asked for after mid September I got October from memory.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If you have not deferred before then politely decline. Explain you have just started work for a new client and it would cause you serious difficulties if you went on Jury service now suggest a new date (they hit it within 2 weeks AFAIR) . You get one decline before they get sniffy.

Declined once, served once.

Not sure if IPSE would cover a later jury service.
    I declined twice within a couple of years. First time the reason was hardship (divorcing, ex-wife and child depending on my income). The second time (I'd been out of contract for eleven months and got the call for jury service to start the same day as a new gig) was also hardship. So if there's a genuine reason there's no harm in at least asking for a second deferral.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    NLUK you need to change your avatar.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post

You, sir, are God.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    Should've given him your MGM code.
    Don't get bugger all for a renewal or would have lol.

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    No. It's 'Listen to NLUK'
    Should've given him your MGM code.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So the moral of the story is once you have IPSE membership (or QDOS insurance) DON'T let it lapse.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    So the moral of the story is once you have IPSE membership (or QDOS insurance) DON'T let it lapse.

Leave a comment:

• Rabotnik
    replied
    It gets better. My agency just went into administration...

I just started this gig at the beginning of January and then as time went on I found out some of these other contractors had trouble getting paid for December (previously it was OK I think). Incidentally, I already worked through this agency for a long stretch (disguised permie??? ) previously and never had any payment problems. They blamed the missed payments on their 3rd party invoice discounter and claimed they would be using a new one from February. So when I renewed IPSE I thought I might as well get the Plus insurance just in case they were bulltulipting and the wheels fall off some time down the line.

Turns out "down the line" is today and once again my insurance doesn't cover it since I'm in the 60 day waiting period (which is understandable). Sucks to be me huh?

One of the guys paid a company to do a background check on the agency and administrators have been called in. The current contractors have all been shifted onto another larger agency, so going forward we should be paid, but I doubt I will ever be paid for January and the start of February

Really angry at myself for not having insurance in place already against this, especially since I am the sole earner in my family. I've been an IPSE member for the past 6 years too, it was only on the previous renewal I switched to standard and then I had a gap between November and February before I jumped back on Plus. Could have even had QDOS insurance for like £69

Oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda

(don't know if I can or should name the agency yet)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Get it deferred, they are usually OK with a good reason (make something up if you have to). It worked for my wife, mind you her jury summons did coincide with our honeymoon.
    And she's regretted deferring the Jury service ever since.....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Does Mrs vetran piss on your cornflakes every Valentine's Day?
    no she slathers me with love. frequently.

Cornflake pissing is more The Donald's preference allegedly, I assumed it was you & MF that supplied that service.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    sad sloppy socky. You used to be funny.
    Does Mrs vetran piss on your cornflakes every Valentine's Day?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    My IPSE membership ended last November and I was dithering about renewing it since I thought there was no point and mentioned it in a thread where NLUK chastised me for not understanding the benefits. Woe unto me for not heeding his words of foretelling!

I just started a new gig in January, so last Wednesday (8 Feb) I thought fok it, I'll be a responsible grown up now and get the Plus membership with the insurances included. Then on Saturday (11 Feb) I get a jury summons in the post...

So I called IPSE this morning to see if I'll be covered and they said no, since the summons was issued on 8 Feb (the same day I signed up). They said if I'd signed up 1 day earlier or the summons had been printed one day later I would have been covered.
    Get it deferred, they are usually OK with a good reason (make something up if you have to). It worked for my wife, mind you her jury summons did coincide with our honeymoon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X