• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Get it Right - Big Brother is Watching"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    I just don't get the 'I'm a contractor and I can't afford to buy stuff so I download it illegally' argument. If you like films by certain directors pay them to make more.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Transmission, encrypted peers, ignore unencrypted peers, never had a letter ever.

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    If you want to do that sort of stuff why on earth aren't you set up "correctly" to do it
    Virgin have always refused to pass on details so didn't think I needed to bother. Guess I do now

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Probably all part of the most draconian state surveillance legislation ever introduced in the developed world, namely the Investigative Powers Act. Check out Section 56: Investigatory Powers Act 2016. Basically means that agents of the state will be allowed to tell lies in court in order to secure convictions, and furthermore it bans anyone from questioning those lies.

You're ****ed matey boy....

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not get one of those but did get a phone call earlier asking questions about whether my tiny business used any music on the premises.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Isn't it?!

How disappointing. I had that saved in my Sky TV planner to watch next weekend, but I probably won't bother now and watch Time Team instead.
    No, sadly. I tried to convince the missus it was a spin-off from Holby City, but she wasn't buying it...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    "Nurses in Latex 3" isn't, apparently, a documentary about medical staff working on the Malaysian plantations, ...
    Isn't it?!

How disappointing. I had that saved in my Sky TV planner to watch next weekend, but I probably won't bother now and watch Time Team instead.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    No real need for that, the headers will usually show the origin of the file (e.g. a known or otherwise obvious torrent site) and usually a fairly hefty clue as to the title (e.g. the filename). "Nurses in Latex 3" isn't, apparently, a documentary about medical staff working on the Malaysian plantations, but you probably already knew that.

Most torrent sites are blocked at the ISP level anyway, I only know of one which still works.
    So interestingly it was a Pirate Bay proxy. Now these are normally blocked, so have to do a Hide My Ass to access it.
    Anyway this one wasn't blocked, went straight in, no malware and was able to download one of the recent Star Wars films.

I can only think

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    IIRC the beeb mentioned this was happening, ISPs sending out emails to slap people on the wrist.

How do they know? Packet inspection?
    No real need for that, the headers will usually show the origin of the file (e.g. a known or otherwise obvious torrent site) and usually a fairly hefty clue as to the title (e.g. the filename). "Nurses in Latex 3" isn't, apparently, a documentary about medical staff working on the Malaysian plantations, but you probably already knew that.

Most torrent sites are blocked at the ISP level anyway, I only know of one which still works.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    IIRC the beeb mentioned this was happening, ISPs sending out emails to slap people on the wrist.

How do they know? Packet inspection?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Received a nice email earlier into my inbox from my ISP.

'This is an educational email. We noted that someone downloaded XYZ yesterday at x O clock using your internet connection. Tut tut tut, this was a copyrighted film, blah blah blah, sending the boys round'

Seems it some kind of new drive from the Government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...ampaign-update

No doubt I will now be chased by some other company for damages or HMRC for some form of uncollected tax.

Anyone else had this recently?
    Did Mrs MF clock that you've been watching Patio Killers 3 again?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I think all the big ISPs were forced into this, but they're only allowed to notify you "in case you didn't realise" not actually do anything about it?

The idea that your ISP doesn't routinely monitor traffic is somewhat naive, surely?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    If you want to do that sort of stuff why on earth aren't you set up "correctly" to do it

Leave a comment:

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Better go check the mail

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Which ISP?
    Virgin. But reading up its BT as well

Leave a comment:

Working...