• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I let my daughter go on a school trip"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Condescending perhaps but it's more of a hatred of control and religion. As for teenagers in short skirts, you are the only person to mention that - which I think perhaps says more about you than me.
    d000hg's propensity for wearing short skirts is legendary. She is known as Madame Bow Wow on the circuit or so a large bird (MF all dressed up) told me.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Remind her to wear a slightly condescending look as well as appropriate clothing while you're at it.

I think maybe Woohoo should go on the cultural trip too... though ideally not hang around all the teenagers in short skirts. Actually are they allowed to wear short skirts when doing sport, this is actually a valid question given everything else.
    Dubai Netball League - Social and competitive netball in Dubai, UAE

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Remind her to wear a slightly condescending look as well as appropriate clothing while you're at it.

I think maybe Woohoo should go on the cultural trip too... though ideally not hang around all the teenagers in short skirts. Actually are they allowed to wear short skirts when doing sport, this is actually a valid question given everything else.
    Condescending perhaps but it's more of a hatred of control and religion. As for teenagers in short skirts, you are the only person to mention that - which I think perhaps says more about you than me.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I presume as long as there are no external people spectating they will be OK.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Be honest with your daughter.

Tell her it's a backward country that treats women like crap but it's one of the better ones in that region.

It's running out of its source of money, so is trying to be friendly to tourists to get their money. But they dislike our customs and way of life.

If you break a local law that might seem faintly ridiculous or even funny to her it could land her in real trouble.

Stick with groups, lone girls/women will get harassed - they are not used to it.

Don't wear anything revealing, you will offend their sensitive little hearts and then get harassed.

She will love it and if she ends up in prison for being drunk in public, you can tell her you told her so in a really smug way that you like.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Next year, the teachers are arranging the school darts team to play in Bora Bora.

Meanwhile, in America....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Next year, the teachers are arranging the school darts team to play in Bora Bora.

Only a really high standard of accommodation there, as well, how they survive

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    A friend of mine lives in Dubai and I've been over there to visit her a few times.

I personally don't like the place. Not necessarily due to their culture (run on hypocrisy) but simply because it just isn't my sort of place, much like I'm not all that fussed by New York. The architecture is awful. It's like the equivalent of a boy racer going through Halfords with a magnet. Build quality is also appalling, even in some of the better hotels I've seen finishes that make you wonder who got paid to sign it off. The Palm is pointless and Atlantis is the most god-awful thing I have ever seen.

The best time I had was when we went to Oman for a boat trip (dolphins!) and, on another visit, a day out dune buggying. Apparently Abu Dhabi (my mate lived there initially) is nicer; I will probably go there when I next do a BA points run.

I've walked around parts of Dubai on my own. No-one harassed me (maybe there's other reasons for that ) but I can't say I felt particularly safe either.

I say send your daughter on the trip (it's expensive, she'll need lots of spends). It'll be a good experience one way or the other. It's only by going there that I was able to form my opinion of it. Some people love it, my mate tolerates it because it pays well and she likes the weather (except in full summer).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    It's fine until something goes wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tal-sex-charge
    If she stays with at least 2 female pals and doesn't do anything stupid she should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Tell her to steer clear of airport first class lounges.

Leave a comment:

• teapot418
    replied
    It's fine until something goes wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tal-sex-charge

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    ask the experts

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...-arab-emirates

note the drugs cover perscription stuff as well. So if she is taking an opiate she could be in trouble.

Dubai travel advice for women - Lonely Planet

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs..._of_Dubai.html

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Tell her it's a backward country that treats women like crap but it's one of the better ones in that region.

It's running out of its source of money, so is trying to be friendly to tourists to get their money. But they dislike our customs and way of life.

If you break a local law that might seem faintly ridiculous or even funny to her it could land her in real trouble.

Stick with groups, lone girls/women will get harassed - they are not used to it.

Don't wear anything revealing, you will offend their sensitive little hearts and then get harassed.

She will love it and if she ends up in prison for being drunk in public, you can tell her you told her so in a really smug way that you like.
    I'd hazard a guess that the only view most teenagers have of Dubai is that <insert celebrity name> goes on holiday there and it looks cool due to endless articles in the teen media.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X