• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trump is a disaster for Brexit"

Collapse

• sirja
    replied
    I really would not worry too much. I am getting more and more convinced that the Govt really don't have a clue. Lets see how things unfold once the talks start. I think as the reality of the UK's position starts to get clearer we'll see a fair amount of 'Positional adjustment' David Davies and Boris are realists, you only look at their past speeches, much as they want the UK to regain control of it's affairs they fully understand the risks of a 'Hard' brexit. I expect that the 'transitional deal' to be quite close to what we've got now, and it'll take at least half a decade to get a final deal.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Like all nervous people, I'm constantly left having to change my mind.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Nice sound and engine but so nasty and plasticky inside
    As was the 'original'.

Leave a comment:

• Fronttoback
    replied
    Well it's a pity that even if Brexit was the right idea, the timing has proved all wrong.
    Taking the charitable view and assuming that Brexit is Britain looking outwards to the world at large, it has come at exactly the time when the largest economy in the world is retreating into protectionism and isolation, most probably leading to a tit for tat trade war between the major economic regions.
    Brexit Britain will merely be caught in the crossfire.
    Anyone who thinks that Britian will thrive in that sort of environment needs their head examined.
    You talk like Brexit and Trump were independent events. You are aware of the worldwide rise of the right wing over the last 5 years? Trumps candidacy facilitated Brexit! It was a Fischer Spassky game 6 knight move that has shown who has a real position. The capitalists have taken the game. Your cause and effect is way off- you're more of a draughts man, I bet.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Same with the Tesla Model S I was determined to like. Love the technology, but despite being a luxury car with a luxury interior it looked tacky and toy-like inside. £100k car....

And it weighs two tons - two tons! It's not even that big, hardly any space......
    Christ almighty! That's almost as much as Shauny's mobility scooter!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Flip me, the whingers are out in force this morning.

Like the chorus from some Greek tragedy!
    Certainly a tragedy is looming - well aside from Trump who is a tragedy already - but for once Greece isn't at the centre of it.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Problem is Trump will ruin the US car industry by protectionism.
    When local producers have no competition they become sh!te.
    And American cars are already sh!te.
    There's a reason Chevrolets aren't coveted round the world like Mercedes and Audis. They're only going to become worse.

PS Acquantaince of mine has a Mustang. Nice sound and engine but so nasty and plasticky inside. far, far worse than a Hyundai.
    Same with the Tesla Model S I was determined to like. Love the technology, but despite being a luxury car with a luxury interior it looked tacky and toy-like inside. £100k car....

And it weighs two tons - two tons! It's not even that big, hardly any space......

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    There's a reason Chevrolets aren't coveted round the world like Mercedes and Audis. They're only going to become worse.

PS Acquantaince of mine has a Mustang. Nice sound and engine but so nasty and plasticky inside. far, far worse than a Hyundai.
    The Koreans learnt from other nations the US car manufacturers refused to.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

We're making a point, you got one?
    Any idea at all about how Britain will thrive in 2/3 years?
    Like all intelligent people, I'm willing to change my mind.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Trump's trade adviser accusing Germany of currency manipulation . Looks like Trump wants a trade war with everyone apart from the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/57f104d2-...c-082c54a7f539

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Trump's trade adviser accusing Germany of currency manipulation . Looks like Trump wants a trade war with everyone apart from the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/57f104d2-...c-082c54a7f539

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well it's a pity that even if Brexit was the right idea, the timing has proved all wrong.
    Taking the charitable view and assuming that Brexit is Britain looking outwards to the world at large, it has come at exactly the time when the largest economy in the world is retreating into protectionism and isolation, most probably leading to a tit for tat trade war between the major economic regions.
    Brexit Britain will merely be caught in the crossfire.
    Anyone who thinks that Britian will thrive in that sort of environment needs their head examined.
    absolutely US banks already on the one hand planning to withdraw activities back to the US whilst building up their European operation.

We can guess what this will do to London as a financial centre.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The US-Australian trade deal, negotiated by the Bush administration was a poor deal which has led to less trade between the two countries due to Bush being a tough negotiator and Trump now wants to tear it up and make an even worse one.

Go figure where this is going for the UK.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    That's just what I was thinking, gave the EU the push, tried to get off with the USA only to find she wants to take us up the Oxo Tower, leaving us as property-stricken spinsters with our one-bar collective electric fire in our £10k flats that were once worth £500k before the debt rug disappeared as Sterling achieved parity with the Matabeleland Gumbo-bean....
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X