• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Roundabouts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Roundabouts"

Collapse

• NigelJK
    replied
    just use a tape adapter should cost you £1 on eBay.
    Don't buy the cheap rubbish. The only one that works well is the Sony one.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    The bike is Y reg. That's Y the first time around, 1983 in other words.

It has a factory fitted hifi system in keeping with the era; radio and cassette player in other words (with a very nice pair of Wharfedales set into the fairing)

I've looked into swapping it out with something more up to date but it's hard to do if I want to retain handlebar controls, intercom, and CB functions.

Consequently I'm probably one of the few people left who retains an extensive audio cassette collection.
    You should be able to add an Aux or just use a tape adapter should cost you £1 on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Don't those things come with thousand watt music systems, or was that a custom mod a cousin of mine did to his?

If it has a decent music system just have a cop car/ambulance siren recording on your mp3 and play it when approaching roundabouts. All the other traffic will stop or be paying a lot more attention looking for the blue lights, giving you chance to make progress.

Alternatively leave the sofa at home and get something more suitable for town traffic.
    The bike is Y reg. That's Y the first time around, 1983 in other words.

It has a factory fitted hifi system in keeping with the era; radio and cassette player in other words (with a very nice pair of Wharfedales set into the fairing)

I've looked into swapping it out with something more up to date but it's hard to do if I want to retain handlebar controls, intercom, and CB functions.

Consequently I'm probably one of the few people left who retains an extensive audio cassette collection.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Don't those things come with thousand watt music systems, or was that a custom mod a cousin of mine did to his?

If it has a decent music system just have a cop car/ambulance siren recording on your mp3 and play it when approaching roundabouts. All the other traffic will stop or be paying a lot more attention looking for the blue lights, giving you chance to make progress.

Alternatively leave the sofa at home and get something more suitable for town traffic.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    I meant lose a bit of my furniture :-)

At least I've unhitched my trailer.

Is that what you call your meat and two veg, Malcolm

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    That's one way to stop the traffic but it's a bit chilly this time of year ;-)
    I meant lose a bit of my furniture :-)

At least I've unhitched my trailer.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    I suppose it's time to 'fess up.

it's a <cough>Goldwing</cough>

I guess I could ride it naked though even then it's a heavy bike.
    That's one way to stop the traffic but it's a bit chilly this time of year ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    Yes, a smaller trail bike might not be as pretty as the (I presume) Harley style bike that you ride but it's a lot more practical for commuting on.
    I suppose it's time to 'fess up.

it's a <cough>Goldwing</cough>

I guess I could ride it naked though even then it's a heavy bike.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 19 January 2017, 13:45.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Then ride in the outer lane then.

Loads of people have bad roundabout manners and as a vulnerable road user take care of yourself.

I do this on two roundabouts I use on a push bike. Though only on the smaller one do I need to go right.
    But if I ride in the outer lane to turn right (i.e. take the 3rd exit) what about all the clowns in the inner lane who will take me out when they take the 2nd exit?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Doesn't stop me having to change lanes from the inner lane to the outer lane when I'm turning right and putting myself at the mercy of some a*hole who's been in the outer lane all the way round.
    Then ride in the outer lane then.

Loads of people have bad roundabout manners and as a vulnerable road user take care of yourself.

I do this on two roundabouts I use on a push bike. Though only on the smaller one do I need to go right.

Leave a comment:

• Smartie
    replied
    Experience

Most people disagree but I loathe the darn things.

I ride a motorcycle. It's a full dresser meaning not only do I have to be wary of the normal attendant hazards of roundabouts, such as patches of spilled oil but also the laws of physics vis a vis the dimensions of my bike and the tightness of the curve I have to negotiate in order to get across the roundabout.

You see, it's very heavy & when I'm in the inside lane to turn right and the traffic is chugging along at a snail's pace, the bike has a sudden desire to fall over & foot has to swiftly meet tarmac (sometimes painfully) to prevent this from happening.

There's one roundabout where the lane I'm in suddenly splits into 2 half way across & I always get a brief panic attack wondering whether the 20 ton artic in my blind spot is going to cut me enough slack to let me cross into the other lane or will I disappear under his wheels.

As for mini roundabouts, the work of the devil in my opinion no matter what mode of transport I'm using.

You see, when a car coming from the opposite direction wants to turn right on one of these stupid things, it just doesn't register with my brain that he has right of way because ostensibly he's cutting right across my path. Even though there's a poxy white circle in the road.

What about you - love 'em or loathe 'em?
    I've been riding for 20 years - currently on a Honda Fireblade. The first thing I'd suggest is getting a bike that you can handle comfortably in the conditions that you usually ride in.
    Yes, a smaller trail bike might not be as pretty as the (I presume) Harley style bike that you ride but it's a lot more practical for commuting on. Keep the Harley for quiet weekends on straight roads and get a better commuter - you are a contractor right? ;-)
    Seriously, it's a major safety issue.

You should also ride assertively - 2/3 towards the centre of your lane and get in front of traffic at lights/roundabouts where possible which should be most of the time.

Plan ahead - you shouldn't really end up in a situation where a lorry has a chance to be a problem for you. You're more agile and faster and you can always hang back if worried.

Personally, I enjoy roundabouts as long as there's not enough traffic to hinder my enjoyment of physics ;-) Actually I did ride a Harley in California once - good fun but when I chucked it around a corner as I would usually, the back wheel slid a couple of feet. Damn those squared off tyres!

Anyway, get a different bike.

Oh yeah, and I would also recommend getting your head around priority on mini roundabouts sooner rather than later ;-)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I ride a motorcycle. It's a full dresser meaning not only do I have to be wary of the normal attendant hazards of roundabouts, such as patches of spilled oil but also the laws of physics vis a vis the dimensions of my bike and the tightness of the curve I have to negotiate in order to get across the roundabout.

You see, it's very heavy & when I'm in the inside lane to turn right and the traffic is chugging along at a snail's pace, the bike has a sudden desire to fall over & foot has to swiftly meet tarmac (sometimes painfully) to prevent this from happening.
    Doesn't stop me having to change lanes from the inner lane to the outer lane when I'm turning right and putting myself at the mercy of some a*hole who's been in the outer lane all the way round.
    nope but it does mean you would be able to move out of their way quicker.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Drive a car. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Mini roundabouts are worse when they're on local rat runs - many of the locals simply ignore priorities and see it as a straight road if they're on the main route pre-roundabout days.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

There's one roundabout where the lane I'm in suddenly splits into 2 half way across & I always get a brief panic attack wondering whether the 20 ton artic in my blind spot is going to cut me enough slack to let me cross into the other lane or will I disappear under his wheels.

As for mini roundabouts, the work of the devil in my opinion no matter what mode of transport I'm using.

You see, when a car coming from the opposite direction wants to turn right on one of these stupid things, it just doesn't register with my brain that he has right of way because ostensibly he's cutting right across my path. Even though there's a poxy white circle in the road.

What about you - love 'em or loathe 'em?

When did this upgrade from a reticulated cycle to motorcycle happen ? Did I miss that story?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X