• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Breakfast of Champignons"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Has anyone seen Gricer or anyone from his stable recently?
    Yep we all have.

Btw I know female motorcyclists but they ride normal bikes.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Quite a bit of trying far too hard waffling about foraging mushrooms
    ...even more.... petty little details cut & paste from wikipedia...
    Has anyone seen Gricer or anyone from his stable recently?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'm not sure I ever tried it, thinking it a weedier alternative. Maybe next time I visit Scotland (?) alongside some Lorne sausage.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Breakfast of Champignons

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Black pudding omelette is a winner by the way, especially slices of a narrow-gauge pudding.
    I prefer white pudding (no, that's not a racist comment), it's spicier and far nicer.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Black pudding omelette is a winner by the way, especially slices of a narrow-gauge pudding.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Black pudding needs no ornamentation!

And you're not making your own beans? Heinz beanz are the Strongbow of beans which apparently means they're not actually beans because they're rubbish beans.

I've not made baked beans from scratch yet but simmering tinned beans with fried onion, chilli and chorizo is just wonderful - a meal in itself maybe served with crackers and coffee.

Depends on the Black Pudding - Butcher made deserves eating naked, supermarket best needs a little love.

Branston beans.

Hmm sounds interesting.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Black pudding needs no ornamentation!

And you're not making your own beans? Heinz beanz are the Strongbow of beans which apparently means they're not actually beans because they're rubbish beans.

I've not made baked beans from scratch yet but simmering tinned beans with fried onion, chilli and chorizo is just wonderful - a meal in itself maybe served with crackers and coffee.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Hmmm. Not at all creepy.

You seem indecisive when it comes to sauces.
    No just prepared.

Red for Black Pudding & Bacon.

Brown For Sausage meat

Chilli to wake up the beans.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Flip me, you must be crackers!

One dodgy Amanita among that lot and you'll be needing a liver and kidney transplant within two hours of eating it, or else you'll die for sure within a week.
    Members of the amanita genus are easily distinguishable owing to the presence of a sheath, or a volva. They also have white gills and their woodland habitat should also be a clue that it's not a field mushroom.

Mistakes can be made when the fruiting body is not yet fully formed. When out faraging, probably best to only pick specimens to eat where the cap is fully formed.

A common cause of mushroom poisoning is from ingestion of the yellow staining mushroom. It looks like a regular field mushroom and is a member of the same genus (agaricus) but the flesh, when cut or damaged, turns yellow; hence it's whenever I come across a fresh crop, I always make a little cut in one of the caps just to make sue. Interestingly, not all people are affected but those that are will get an unpleasant tummy upset from eating this agaric.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 18 January 2017, 21:10.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    my girls are good layers even in winter
    Hmmm. Not at all creepy.

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    There's nothing better than mushrooms for breakfast (at least a couple of them)....

You seem indecisive when it comes to sauces.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    There's nothing better than mushrooms for breakfast (at least a couple of them)....

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm a mushroom maniac!

Often to be seen traipsing over the local meadows with a wicker basket over one arm.

To me, a plate sized field mushroom fried in butter on a thick slice of buttery toast is manna from heaven.

Mmmm.... you just don't get those lovely rich, black juices soaking into the bread with the shop bought ones.

Other faves I pick locally are various boletes, parasol mushrooms, blewitts, puffballs, hedgehog fungus.

And that's just the autumn. In spring there are a few places where I gather St George's mushrooms and another where morelles grow.

Then of course there's the year round Jew's ear that I often use as an ingredient in soups.
    Flip me, you must be crackers!

One dodgy Amanita among that lot and you'll be needing a liver and kidney transplant within two hours of eating it, or else you'll die for sure within a week.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destroying_angel

The destroying angel (Amanita bisporigera) and the death cap (Amanita phalloides) are responsible for the overwhelming majority of deaths due to mushroom poisoning. The toxin responsible for this is amatoxin, which inhibits RNA polymerase II and III. Symptoms do not appear for 5 to 24 hours, when the toxins may already be absorbed and the damage (destruction of liver and kidney tissues) is irreversible. As little as half a mushroom cap can be fatal if the victim is not treated quickly enough. The symptoms include vomiting, cramps, delirium, convulsions, and diarrhea. ...
    I''ll stick to Sainsbury's thanks

Mind you, they say Chicken of the Wood is nice.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Had a 3 egg omelette last night for dinner (my girls are good layers even in winter). That is normally with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic, cheddar and Parmesan.
    Normally do 2 eggs for scrambled when I have them for breakfast. (With mushrooms and tomatoes)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    4 is pushing it in pure calories but I find eggs are pretty filling so if it holds you until lunch without snacking... and mushrooms are empty of just about anything.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    4 eggs!!! Are you kidding?!

How fat are you?
    Nothing fattening there.

It's a good carbohydrate free meal!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X