• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vegan Denied Passport For Being "Annoying""

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Good to see the Swiss give locals a vote on this sort of thing, I would welcome that kind of democracy here.
    The Swiss don't "give locals a vote". Sovereignty in Switzerland lies with the communities. That can be an entire city, a town, or a village of a few people. When you become a citizen here, it's not Switzerland that grants it (though you need approval from the federal and cantonal authorities), it's the community. You become a citizen of that community, which then entitles you to a Swiss passport. The community is then responsible for your social care should you fall on hard times.

The communities have given up some of their powers to the cantonal level (in fact this is where most of the real power lies). Cantons have given some of their powers to the federal government. It's easy to see how it works via the tax split. The canton collects the taxes, and 40% goes to the community, 40% to the canton and 20% to the federal government.

Not all communities give their citizens a say in who can naturalise. For some it's just a box-ticking exercise, approved by a committee - 12 years residence, no criminal record, no unpaid debt, likely to be able to support themselves, speaks the local official language, pays (or likely to, for students) taxes, agrees with Swiss law and custom, doesn't withdraw into a ghetto of their fellow nationals.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Good to see the Swiss give locals a vote on this sort of thing, I would welcome that kind of democracy here.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I meant the country, not the canal.
    And I was thinking of the residents..

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    That would be cruel....
    I meant the country, not the canal.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I like the idea of locals being able to vote as to whether someone can get a passport.
    Boris Johnson could be sent back to his place of birth.
    That would be cruel....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I like the idea of locals being able to vote as to whether someone can get a passport.
    Boris Johnson could be sent back to his place of birth.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    “if she annoys us and doesn’t respect our traditions”
    That's disgusting. They should celebrate her diversity and change their own bigoted ways to suit her.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Hmm..

Tanja Suter, the president of the local Swiss People’s Party, claimed Ms Holten has a “big mouth” and residents had not wanted to give her the gift of citizenship “if she annoys us and doesn’t respect our traditions”.
    However....

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    When I was a vegan, the worst thing was other vegans. The best things was teling vegans that I hated animals and then telling them that I was a vegan.
    The long winter nights must have just flown by!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    She moved closer to the village church - and then complained about the noise of the church bells. Her kids are Swiss. I wonder if they voted against her as well. :-)
    Wouldn't the church bells be a welcome distraction from the racket of cuckoo clocks?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    When I was a vegan, the worst thing was other vegans. The best things was teling vegans that I hated animals and then telling them that I was a vegan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    She moved closer to the village church - and then complained about the noise of the church bells. Her kids are Swiss. I wonder if they voted against her as well. :-)

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Vegan Denied Passport For Being "Annoying"

Vegan Denied Passport For Being "Annoying"

Swiss town denies passport to vegan anti-cowbell campaigner 'for being annoying' | The Independent

Good to see the Swiss taking a firm line with this nonsense

Working...
X