• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jamie Oliver hit by Brexit"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Not everyone believes in fairy tales though.

HTH

It doesn't hurt to dream though....

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's the modern fairy tale.
    Not everyone believes in fairy tales though.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    My hubby's pejorative term for him was "the fat tongued mockney c**t"
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    By thoughts exactly.
    You guys are married? Brought together by your common interest in irrational hatred of (or more likely jealously of) total strangers?

It's the modern fairy tale.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    My hubby's pejorative term for him was "the fat tongued mockney c**t"
    By thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    There's one in Reading.

That's p}obably why I've never been in oneM
    I've been to that one. Once.

Standard overpriced crap corporate eatery.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    FWIW, I think Jamie Oliver, the person, is to be admired. I think he may be trying to do too much at once, but at least he's trying, and he's trying to do some good along the way. His decent eating campaigns, and (I think) the 15 chain that helps young people get a start in their careers is an excellent idea.

Credit where it's due.
    He's one of those people it's popular to dislike, presumably because he has a social conscience and evengelises his views (and has a silly accent). Easy to call him a champagne lefty or a virtue signaller, etc.

But everything I know about him is that he got where he is through hard word and real passion, which IS to be admired. He seems to put his money and (more importantly) his time where his mouth is so even if you don't like him or his views at least he's trying.
    When I've heard him do radio interviews and the like, he comes across as quite genuine if a little vocal - but then that's what got him celebrity chef status in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    quite a few of the chefs have over extended and had to close restaurants.

Some of the locations are poor if you are going for a great experience.

Pricing isn't terrible ~ £30 a head 3 courses without wine assuming its better than Dominos.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Jamie trolled by Pub chain

https://twitter.com/WetherspoonsUK/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

This has nothing to do with Brexit, it's because his food is no better than ours but four times the price!
    Last edited by Flashman; 6 January 2017, 16:20.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    FWIW, I think Jamie Oliver, the person, is to be admired. I think he may be trying to do too much at once, but at least he's trying, and he's trying to do some good along the way. His decent eating campaigns, and (I think) the 15 chain that helps young people get a start in their careers is an excellent idea.

Credit where it's due.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Visited JOI in Glasgow last month,..
    Just googled JOI as I wasn't sure what you were referring to. Bad move.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Visited JOI in Glasgow last month, I was impressed with both the food and the service. Not the usual Italian experience and I will be going back.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...alian-barbecoa

Jamie Oliver closes six restaurants due to "Brexit" pressures including one in Aberdeen. Shocking Economic consequences.

Although
    -the other 42 resturants seem to be doing ok
    -In 2015, Oliver closed the last of his delicatessens, Recipease, and in 2014 closed three of four of his Union Jack restaurants.

This Brexit thing has really started to hit hard or maybe just the excuse every company rolls out wanting to make cost savings??!
    I've been to the one in Kingston several times, and it's way better than the other Italian chains out there (Ask, Prezzo, Zizzi etc). Even saw The Edge (U2 guitarist) in there once. I'm rather surprised to hear his restaurant in Richmond was due to close, mainly because we go there all the time and I never knew it was even there. Sticking it down a side street was probably a mistake.
    I wouldn't knock JO for his success, watching the Essex wideboy make it look so easy all those years ago gave me the confidence to start cooking to the extent that I now do 100% of the cooking in our house. My missus is useless, so one of us had to learn, and I really enjoy it. Best of luck to him.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    It was a one hour Ryanair flight FLC.
    I'd have had their bacon baguette.

About the only good thing about RyanAir.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Why didn't you eat on the plane?

Or where you Air India?...

It was a one hour Ryanair flight FLC.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Once visited the Jamie restaurant in Gatwick airport. Sat and ordered food and drinks and was told 30 mins later that the cooker had died and no food can be served. Didnt have to pay for drinks but had to catch a flight without eating which was a pain.
    Why didn't you eat on the plane?

Or where you Air India?...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X