• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nationwide Building Society December 2016 House Price Index"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What's the betting these new so-called "garden cities" will have barely a single tree?

There will be no room for trees, as the dinky little houses will be packed so close together.
    I reckon they will ban cars from every other narrow street to plant them with trees and flowers.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    What a great deal for the tax payer, 20% off a new build thats 20% overpriced, and they will even make it 20% smaller than an equivalent flat built in the 1990s!

The government subsidising the big developers never fails to amaze me. I still remember when the help to buy schemes were only available for new build properties..

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Oh, govt bunging some more money at house builders...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...rnment-support
    What's the betting these new so-called "garden cities" will have barely a single tree?

There will be no room for trees, as the dinky little houses will be packed so close together.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Oh, govt bunging some more money at house builders...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...rnment-support

The new garden projects will also have access to infrastructure funding programmes across government, such as the new £2.3 billion Housing Infrastructure Fund announced at this year’s Autumn Statement.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 3 January 2017, 16:16.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Govt will prop up the UK Ponzi scheme

First-time buyer subsidised homes 'will be built this year' - BBC News

Thirty areas across England are to receive funding from the £1.2bn "Starter Homes Land Fund" for new developments on brownfield sites.

Buyers must be aged between 23 and 40 and will receive a discount of at least 20% below market value.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    It's a really good question. My feeling is that we won't see price falls in 2017 as lenders are still confident in the UK housing market. A quick search shows that the main banks are still offering 95% loan to value mortgages which are the first to be pulled when times are uncertain.

There was a good article from the BBC a couple of days ago showing predictions for 2017:

"The experts have a relatively wide spread of predictions for 2017 - from price falls overall to rises matching or outstripping the general level of inflation.

Martin Ellis, housing economist at mortgage lender the Halifax, is offering a hedge-your-bets prediction of between a 1% and 4% rise."

House price predictions for 2017 - BBC News
    how sustainable are those offers / rates though as the Fed is likely to continue to raise interest rates in the US and no doubt BoE will follow,

I'd guess there will be a 1% rise by the end of 2017 which will no doubt lead to a contraction of high LTV offers and consequently buyers which would then see price reductions in the market

or am I just economically illiterate?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    House prices will fall massively.

All apart from luxury apartments in Bham located in a nice area.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Cheers Martin. Are we going to see prices fall in 2017? Seems to be a lot of building going on...
    It's a really good question. My feeling is that we won't see price falls in 2017 as lenders are still confident in the UK housing market. A quick search shows that the main banks are still offering 95% loan to value mortgages which are the first to be pulled when times are uncertain.

There was a good article from the BBC a couple of days ago showing predictions for 2017:

"The experts have a relatively wide spread of predictions for 2017 - from price falls overall to rises matching or outstripping the general level of inflation.

Martin Ellis, housing economist at mortgage lender the Halifax, is offering a hedge-your-bets prediction of between a 1% and 4% rise."

House price predictions for 2017 - BBC News

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Surely that should be zero now, after all the Government/UKBF can no longer blame the EU
    We're still in the EU, until at least next March.

Also, if the Brexit trade deal is a fudge and a sell out, which it probably will be, then the UK will continue to be subject to the EU's malign freedom of movement obligation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Surely that should be zero now, after all the Government/UKBF can no longer blame the EU
    stir stir.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Net migration to UK rises to 333,000 - second highest on record - BBC News

Enough for 330,000 extra people per year?

I don't think so...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Cheers Martin. Are we going to see prices fall in 2017? Seems to be a lot of building going on...
    Net migration to UK rises to 333,000 - second highest on record - BBC News

Enough for 330,000 extra people per year?

I don't think so...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Bearing in mind the number of houses built has been lagging way behind the number of houses needed for years I don't think a bit of extra building is going to change anything in the long term. It's gonna need a serious policy change that they stick to regarding numbers of new houses before it starts affecting the prices IMO.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nationwide Building Society December 2016 House Price Index

Happy New Year - hope everyone had a good Christmas

Key Points:

UK annual house price growth ended 2016 at 4.5%, the same as 2015

Price growth in London ended the year below UK average for first time in 8 years

Full report here:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/...ec_Q4_2016.pdf

Working...
X