• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sherlock season 4 - contains spoilers"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As Private-Eye put it - the only mystery is "where's the detective story?".

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    ... If Sherlock had solved it 30 odd years ago HTF would "I'm in my room" or whatever it was help...
    A Series of Unfortunate Events (ep.3) has a message hidden in a film that gives instructions relevant only to one viewer at one specific time - but ASUE does this kind of nonsense quite deliberately.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I think it all got a bit self-indulgent at the end.

No one looking for the missing boy in the well - too far fetched unless it was covered by Eurus burning down the house?
    We are supposed to believe that Eurus could just swan off to go for bus trips and hold therapy sessions without Mycroft ever finding out - again a stretch.
    Sending the patience grenade which, if it had worked, would have rendered the whole thing pointless. I don't know what it was supposed to do.
    All this was (inc video footage) was arranged in just 5 mins with Moriarty?
    Why would Mary send a second DVD given she had no idea this was going to happen?
    Don't get me started on the logistics of the whole thing.

Finally and I may have completely missed the point here. Wasn't the whole point of the original riddle, the one Sherlock never solved to find his missing friend supposed to give the answer as the location of the well. If Sherlock had solved it 30 odd years ago HTF would "I'm in my room" or whatever it was help.

I enjoyed watching it but at the end I just thought "WTF was that?"

Other opinions are available.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The shock horror reveal that Redbeard was a child wasn't shocking.
    I was shocked at how a five year old got the boy down there, set up a chain for his feet, cuffed his feet and got back out again. I was also shocked at how they knew she had hidden Redbeard somewhere but could not get get to tell them and it was terrible etc. That made sense when it was a dog but for a missing child surely the police would have come in and they would have torn the place apart looking for him?

The "with one jump Jack was free" solution to the "patience grenade" was pathetic. The grenade itself was a dumb invention to try to inspire a sense of peril. Furthermore, the scene was filler - it didn't add to the plot in any way that I could see.
    It allowed Mycroft to infiltrate as Holmes as a boat crew member (the pretence was that he was badly injured and could not be contacted). However, the stupid part would have been that if anything had gone even slightly wrong Holmes would have been killed which would utterly negate Euros's long term plan and render everything pointless.

Don't even get me started on her X man style mind control powers :-(

They tried having a villain who was so powerful they could dominate Holmes but it did not quite come off. It was a nice setup. I was even prepared to accept Ep 2 of her but Ep 3 went a little too far for me.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    TBH I think it's run its course now even though I somewhat enjoyed the last series, either that or Moffat needs to p!ss off and let someone else have a go.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The explosions, the gadgets (such as the bomb) and the island with it's special cells, it came across a bit like a poor man's James Bond. Although last week's appearance of the Aston made me laugh.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Leap out of a first floor window onto a hard road and pavement and you would not survive!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The attempt at producing a moral conundrum failed - if you are in a position where someone arbitrarily decides that certain people must die according to your actions, it is that person who is responsible. The only way to not be culpable is to not play the game - which Sherlock managed to figure out after what, 45 minutes?

The shock horror reveal that Redbeard was a child wasn't shocking.

The "with one jump Jack was free" solution to the "patience grenade" was pathetic. The grenade itself was a dumb invention to try to inspire a sense of peril. Furthermore, the scene was filler - it didn't add to the plot in any way that I could see.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Episode 3. Meh. After series 3, I was hoping for more. After series 4, I'm hoping "no more".
    Disagree. Thought it was a great episode with the exception of the last 5 minutes which was majorly 'meh' as it was wrapped up so quickly.

And is that 'Sherlock Falls' or 'No More' or both ;-)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Episode 3. Meh. After series 3, I was hoping for more. After series 4, I'm hoping "no more".

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Spoiler alert: I thought the end of SH was very weak. He caught the murderer by hiding a listening device in a walking stick. Very lame considering some of the lengths SH had gone to previously (like pretending to be dead for 2 years). And I guessed the bit about the other sibling way before the end.

And I agree about Dr Who, that was rubbish. New Doctor needed I think! The preview of the new series looked better though.

Leave a comment:

• chally
    replied
    Ep 1 + 2 ss4 don't come up with my expectation.
    From SS3, I know Mary is a woman with many secrets and she would die before the film ends and now it is.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well worth the Licence Fee mind you.
    Nearly worth my licence fee...

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Just watch episode 2. So much better! Good fun and very creepy.
    Better than 1 but still with a tendency to overly convolute everything a bit too much.

I am sure he is very far removed from what Conan Doyle originally intended and it is now being driven more by a team of scriptwriters all trying to outdo each other with how outlandish they can make his detective abilities.

Well worth the Licence Fee mind you.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Just watch episode 2. So much better! Good fun and very creepy.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Bit dull. Preferred the recent episode of Jonathan Creek. Can't for the life of me remember anything about it tho.
    Going on a bit OT, but in the JC episode, the "striped unicorn" bit - there was no coaster on her bed side table, so how would the "killer" know where she would put her glass? (it needed to be right next to the wall) i.e. it had to have been her husband (he poured her drink)

The fact that this was not mentioned in any way annoyed me

...then JC murdered someone by setting them ON FIRE, ALIVE with absolutely no repercussions

Sherlock's way better (relatively speaking)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X