• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Million mask march

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Million mask march"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It is the way I do it
    Ah, you use ox-tongue dear boy? Why didn't you say? My hearty contrafibularities.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    That's not a punishment. Flay the workshy wench!
    It is the way I do it

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    was tongue in cheek.
    That's not a punishment. Flay the workshy wench!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    But she clearly wasn't available for work. Punish her.
    was tongue in cheek.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They do free coach trips for demonstrations like this.

"They" being organisations like student unions, unions and even smaller organisations depending on what the demonstration is for. The only thing is you have to get up early which is why I never demonstrated as a student.
    I suspected as much.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

"They" being organisations like student unions, unions and even smaller organisations depending on what the demonstration is for. The only thing is you have to get up early which is why I never demonstrated as a student.
    But she clearly wasn't available for work. Punish her.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Pretty restrained if it had been the French Police there would have been busted heads.

So was Angela available for work? How much does a train ticket from Wales cost? Or did she drive?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    It's bizarre.

These people just seem to regurgitate lines from the past without understanding what they are saying. As usual they target the Tories because that's what they have been brought up on.

But unemployment has been falling.
    Tax on the lowest incomes has been cut drastically (by Tories)
    A living wage will be introduced (by Tories)
    Every member of the Government was elected, including Theresa May. And the great thing about this country is they can be unelected too. The Tories were thrown out en masse in 97. New Liebour were thrown out en masse in 2010.

The bigger danger is from the Liberal elitists like Bliar and Branson as they slowly develop a ruling party and turn us into China.
    Unemployment figures are always manipulated by both sides. What constitutes employment and do they release figures for full-time employment (say 30+ hours per week) and how do those look?

People on the lowest incomes were already not paying tax, those taken outside tax under the Tories are the next group up. Splitting hairs for accuracy here, but what IS important is how the actual "take-home" for those on lower/lowest incomes has changed due to changes to tax credits and other benefits. You see claims that in real terms the poorest are loosing out but I've no idea if that is accurate. Clearly though, these are the ones to who even a small change makes a big difference.
    And then the whole issue of benefits sanctions and an "unsympathetic state" we keep hearing about. Isolated cases WILL ALWAYS slip through the cracks and the fact these are real lives doesn't change that - e.g. a cancer sufferer being taken off benefits because they had a chemo session when they were supposed to be at the dole office and it taking months to get it fixed, we all see these stories in the Guardian or on FB if we have socially aware friends who share all these things ad nauseum.
    My view is much of these issues are down to local government workers - an example of public sector workers doing bad jobs - rather than facsist Tory policies. But it still needs addressing.

The living wage is just a rebrand. You cannot say "we introduced a Living Wage", they just increased the NMW. Which is good IMO but it's not a LW.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Oxford University student Emma Janson, 18, came into the restaurant to get away from the mob with two friends.

She said: "We don't know how we're going to get out of here.

"We only came in here to get away from them and there was no where else to go.

A masked protester holds up a flare CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
    "It's really uncomfortable to watch them throwing bottles and fireworks from outside the window.

"Hopefully by the time we leave they will be gone.

"It's pretty scary."

The police beamed a message in green letters onto a building in Parliament Square, which read: "Please observe Public Order Act restrictions. Failure to comply may result in arrest and prosecution. Officers may require you to remove facial covering. Failure to comply is an offence."

It came after members of the crowd ignited fireworks and flares in front of Westminster Abbey.

Angela Windsor, an unemployed 40-year-old, said she travelled from Wales to take part in the event.

"Nobody is protecting people - nobody cares," she said.

"I think everyone here cares enough about people to make the effort to come down and try and do something, because the officials aren't doing it."

Pretty restrained if it had been the French Police there would have been busted heads.

So was Angela available for work? How much does a train ticket from Wales cost? Or did she drive?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    So, thousands of people turned up to a Million Mask March?

Lefties don't understand orders of magnitude, do they?

Bless 'em!
    Maybe each took a thousand masks?

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    So, thousands of people turned up to a Million Mask March?

Lefties don't understand orders of magnitude, do they?

Bless 'em!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Not like the 80s when 50 people would protest and everyone would get arrested.
    yes but then they threw bricks.

Policing of marches has got better.

Bloody hell they would vote in Jezzy!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    More than 50 arrested after thousands of protesters attended Million Mask March*

"People are not happy with the way things are in this country.
    "There has been a huge rise in unemployment and homelessness and I want to see Theresa May and her unelected government out.
    "Wages have stayed the same and the cost of living had increased.
    "People are starting to realise that things aren't right."

No they aren't....
    I agree with all of those points from my Ivory Tower.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Not like the 80s when 50 people would protest and everyone would get arrested.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    It's bizarre.

These people just seem to regurgitate lines from the past without understanding what they are saying. As usual they target the Tories because that's what they have been brought up on.

But unemployment has been falling.
    Tax on the lowest incomes has been cut drastically (by Tories)
    A living wage will be introduced (by Tories)
    Every member of the Government was elected, including Theresa May. And the great thing about this country is they can be unelected too. The Tories were thrown out en masse in 97. New Liebour were thrown out en masse in 2010.

The bigger danger is from the Liberal elitists like Bliar and Branson as they slowly develop a ruling party and turn us into China.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X