• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you get Trick'or'Treaters?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    That is pretty impressive.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Living in the US at the moment in a large town so we knew we would have had swarms of pre-teens and some teenagers on Monday evening so we went out early for dinner.

The neighbours really went to town some of them with smoke machines, sound effects and light shows. I liked the skeletons ...

There were hundreds of them around stuck to houses, lamp poles etc.
    Last edited by redgiant; 2 November 2016, 14:43.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

Trains are quieter unless you live near a tunnel.

I use to live with a train line at the back of the garden. The most annoying and disturbing thing was the announcements on the platform. If you opened the windows you could hear them.

After resident complaints to different councils up and down the line the train company made them much quieter.
    Your experience may vary I guess. We lived by the main line into Waterloo from Woking and the high-speed trains could be heard in the house, albeit briefly. Plus every so often there would be some sort of track clearing doohickey going by with a lot of clattering going on. We weren't anywhere near the station though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I sometimes find it's quicker to get the train to LHR than a flight.

I prefer Teeside to NCL. At least you don't have to queue.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No idea if there are many trains during the late night, they didn't wake me up It's crazy how good the train service is here considering the size of the place, especially compared to the lame air service.
    Mrs Eek is selling chocolates at a craft fair near the Cathedral a week Saturday btw...

As for the lame air service at least you are 25 minutes nearer Newcastle than I am...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    No idea if there are many trains during the late night, they didn't wake me up It's crazy how good the train service is here considering the size of the place, especially compared to the lame air service.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    We used to live pretty close to a line in Durham (very close to the viaduct to those who have been). The noise was quite nice I thought when you were drifting off to sleep, though the glassware rattling was a little annoying.
    Line? You are aware by line you mean East Coast mainline - not that there are enough trains at night to annoy you..

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    We used to live pretty close to a line in Durham (very close to the viaduct to those who have been). The noise was quite nice I thought when you were drifting off to sleep, though the glassware rattling was a little annoying.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by westtester View Post
    I used to live in one and it was certainly a novelty having a 120' x 20' garden which ran right down to the railway line. Although at that distance it wasn't really 'butting' I guess. The noise of the trains was bad to begin with but after a while you didn't really notice, bit like living near an airport I suppose.
    Nope.

Trains are quieter unless you live near a tunnel.

I use to live with a train line at the back of the garden. The most annoying and disturbing thing was the announcements on the platform. If you opened the windows you could hear them.

After resident complaints to different councils up and down the line the train company made them much quieter.

Leave a comment:

• westtester
    replied
    Am I the only one who finds houses with gardens butting against railway lines really interesting by the way?
    I used to live in one and it was certainly a novelty having a 120' x 20' garden which ran right down to the railway line. Although at that distance it wasn't really 'butting' I guess. The noise of the trains was bad to begin with but after a while you didn't really notice, bit like living near an airport I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I used to love Halloween. I have props and effects from horror games I have run so I decked the porch out and dressed up as the grim reaper to give sweets to the kids. I pretended to be a dressed mannequin once I simply stood there until some kids came up the door and rang the doorbell and then I jumped at them, the kids screamed the parents thought it was hilarious.

Now I have two of my own I have grown to hate it. I have to balance taking them to the relevant party, decking the place out, finding/making a costume (and making sure it does not scare my kids), taking them trick or treating etc.

I would rather the entire thing just buggered off.
    Bah Humbug!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I used to love Halloween. I have props and effects from horror games I have run so I decked the porch out and dressed up as the grim reaper to give sweets to the kids. I pretended to be a dressed mannequin once I simply stood there until some kids came up the door and rang the doorbell and then I jumped at them, the kids screamed the parents thought it was hilarious.

Now I have two of my own I have grown to hate it. I have to balance taking them to the relevant party, decking the place out, finding/making a costume (and making sure it does not scare my kids), taking them trick or treating etc.

I would rather the entire thing just buggered off.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I think they've caught on with the middle-classes now, but round here certainly.

Next time you're on a train, look at the gardens of all the houses backing onto the railway line - these are probably working/lower-middle class properties and it seems sometimes like trampolines are virtually mandatory.

No idea why this should be the case - they seem like a great think for anyone with kids to me.

Am I the only one who finds houses with gardens butting against railway lines really interesting by the way?
    Canals are better. Unfortunately they are all filled with Slough Sheds!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    ooh are trampolines chavvy then?

must tell Tarquin & Rupbert...
    I think they've caught on with the middle-classes now, but round here certainly.

Next time you're on a train, look at the gardens of all the houses backing onto the railway line - these are probably working/lower-middle class properties and it seems sometimes like trampolines are virtually mandatory.

No idea why this should be the case - they seem like a great think for anyone with kids to me.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The end of the village where all the houses have trampolines?
    ooh are trampolines chavvy then?

must tell Tarquin & Rupbert...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X