• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The first molecular sensor that fits in the palm of your hand"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    er, what kinds of molecules can it detect?
    Extra big-ass taco molecules....

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    True, but there are thousands of types of molecules in a typical everyday environment. So the signals would be hopelessly mixed up.

Unless you have a fairly pure sample, or a simple inorganic compound such as a mineral, it would be like trying to follow every conversation in a crowded stadium.
    GB9 and NigelJK are simple inorganic compounds, but we do our best to follow their conversation.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Every molecule gives a signature with the light it does not reflect. The detection actually occurs back at HQ via your phone. The device gathers the results. From what I've read the device gathers scanning data from users with which over time a larger the cloud database grows.
    True, but there are thousands of types of molecules in a typical everyday environment. So the signals would be hopelessly mixed up.

Unless you have a fairly pure sample, or a simple inorganic compound such as a mineral, it would be like trying to follow every conversation in a crowded stadium.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I thought I remembered that this is utterly tulip vapourware... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ular-sensor-fo gives me the first clue I'll see what else I can find...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    er, what kinds of molecules can it detect? There are an awful lot of them!
    Every molecule gives a signature with the light it does not reflect. The detection actually occurs back at HQ via your phone. The device gathers the results. From what I've read the device gathers scanning data from users with which over time a larger the cloud database grows.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You just press the button and it says "yep, I found some"

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    They don't seem to know why they are selling it.

Drugs raids, CSI, A&E , Food safety seem ideal areas.

Clever development though.

Perhaps Apple will buy them and integrate to the phone. Coool. Or indeed to the iWatch to monitor your molecular makeup for unwanted chemicals in your bloodstream.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    A problem for scientists is this exactly, no commercial benefit no interest from the public. And yet many of our everyday inventions were the subject of accidental discovery.

Do you remember the early 90's computer sciences question. A shopkeeper using a ledger for his bookkeeping. How would you convenience him a computer would be a much better tool? I really struggled with that!!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They don't seem to know why they are selling it.

Drugs raids, CSI, A&E , Food safety seem ideal areas.

Clever development though.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    I looked at this on Kickstarter years ago and decided that it wasn't going to be coming any time soon. The project has now been pulled from Kickstarter because of a legal case, and people are saying that they are still waiting for theirs to arrive.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well it can tell whats in drugs which should be good for the young uns out in the clubs. Might save a death or two.
    Indeed, in my younger days I "worked" with a lot of bands and DJs, setting up parties etc. One of these would have been very useful

How Pure are Your Drugs? SCiO Pocket Molecular Sensor Could Instantly Tell You | Gizmodo UK

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Well it can tell whats in drugs which should be good for the young uns out in the clubs. Might save a death or two.
    I'll keep it in the glove box next to my breathalyser.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I want one. I'm ready to buy. But can't think of a reason I'd need it. Is that important?
    No it's not important that you don't know why you need one. Nobody really knows why they need a new gadget.

But get it and play with it, you may find it's purpose. It may change your life.

Either that or it will end up gathering dust at the back of a drawer along with your old Palm-pilot and first-generation 3D printer.

Buy it today. I expect a stream threads over the coming months saying how cool it is and that it's really useful for X ( where X is some as yet unknown thing that you never needed to do or know for the past 40 years, but now need to ). And that can form part of the justification for me buying one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X