• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone tried the new MX5?"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I think I want one of these
    Was in one last weekend at Carfest. A thing of beauty.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I think I want one of these

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    last year I got a Mazda 6 and love it. It's great for motorway driving and very well equipped. I was in the dealers a bit ago and saw the new MX5 and I think it looks really nice. I might look to switch when the time comes. Now the kids are older and my wife has a bigger car than me, I don't need one with 5 seats.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    We have a winner!!!!!

In true CUK tradition, I cheated

Not very durable these anymore though, I believe the creator has run out of juice and mentally might not be in a good place

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    We have a winner!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wetti Big Deal Birnathi
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I am aware of the history of Fiat cars, even the ones that morphed into Yugos (not Jugos), the Eastern bloc variants stopped when the Strada came out, as even the Ruskies couldn't work out how to make it worse than it already was.
    Russian steel was the issue if I am correct in my recollection.

Even the Italian productions were using this Russian steel.

Hindustan Ambassador shows how to do it right

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I am aware of the history of Fiat cars, even the ones that morphed into Yugos (not Jugos), the Eastern bloc variants stopped when the Strada came out, as even the Ruskies couldn't work out how to make it worse than it already was.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    No, we live in 2016, the 124 is most certainly not a Lada, nor is it LHD only

https://www.fiat.co.uk/124-spider
    Ok, thankyou. I wasn't aware of this but for your information:

1) Fiat 124 went to Russia where it became the Lada

2) Fiat 125 went to Poland where it became Polski Fiat

3) Fiat 127 went to Jugoslavia where it became Jugo.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Are you having a mid life crisis and looking to do the whole thing on the cheap?
    Nah, just don't see the point spending £40k+ when every serious motoring review of the original MX5 says it's about the best driving fun you can get, and very cheap.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    The pictures of the new one look great but when you actually see them they are tiny. Not a fan at all.
    Smaller than the previous one?

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    To put it all into perspective, if a bunch of dumbfeck IT related people, you only know via the internet, are taking the p*ss, it may be wise to give it a miss.
    People here are more interested in showing off how much they spent than in knowing if it was worth the money

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Wetti Big Deal Birnathi View Post
    Is a Lada now

or if you mean the Barchetta then you should be aware this is LHD
    No, we live in 2016, the 124 is most certainly not a Lada, nor is it LHD only

https://www.fiat.co.uk/124-spider

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    This. The MX5 is the classic British sports car done right. More powerful cars are fine in Germany where you can use their speed, in the Uk where the average speed on all roads is < 50 mph, the MX5 is the perfect driver's sports car.
    Note I said driver's not poser's. Posers generally drive BMWs and Porsches that they're scared to drive above 50.

But look at the Fiat 124 too
    Is a Lada now

or if you mean the Barchetta then you should be aware this is LHD
    Last edited by Wetti Big Deal Birnathi; 9 September 2016, 10:26.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    This. The MX5 is the classic British sports car done right...
    Both can be traced back to the MG Midget/Triumph Spitfire.
    And both are based on the same chassis.
    But the Fiat has a better engine - Alfa/Fiat 1.4l multi-air.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    I've seen the new one and rather like it. Nothing wrong with a MX5. I have to chuckle at a lot of contractors given it the big 'un about their motors when all they'll do is sit in traffic on the M25.
    Yes good cars, though whenever you see one the owners always look thoroughly miserable. And they have a tendency to drive really slow everywhere.

New ones look ugly I think, though the reviews are mostly positive. Buy an older one; it won't be any less reliable. Or better yet, buy an S2000.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Not had a go in the new one, but I had a previous version. It was, IMO, way more fun than some of the other cars I've had a go in, which accelerate much faster. It's a bit more tail happy than, say, a Porsche Boxster S and consequently better fun to drive.
    This. The MX5 is the classic British sports car done right. More powerful cars are fine in Germany where you can use their speed, in the Uk where the average speed on all roads is < 50 mph, the MX5 is the perfect driver's sports car.
    Note I said driver's not poser's. Posers generally drive BMWs and Porsches that they're scared to drive above 50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X