• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So what do you invest in for the future now?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    One or two good ideas there, but don't forget the iodine pills and water purifiers
    Brexit will purify everything.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Money's no good to me. Has to be diesel, guns and ammo, tinned or dried food, cooking oil or cigarettes.
    One or two good ideas there, but don't forget the iodine pills and water purifiers

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Kenya safaris are 100% safe. Kenya beach resorts are risky, but then why would you go to Kenya for the beaches?!?

We do 1 or 2 safaris a year, and a few years ago spent 6 months in S. Africa living in a safari camp Best holidays ever, bar none If you are only going to do one safari, then the great migration in Kenya is the one to do - last time we spent 9 days at Il Moran camp, Kenya and a night before that at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi.

If you think you'll want to do more safaris, then do Botswana ... the Delta is just the most amazing place in the world, even comparing against the Pantanal and the Amazon. Tanzania is OK, been there a few times, but wouldn't put it in front of even Zambia or Zimbabwe.
    Was in Tsavo a few years ago, followed by a beach break on Diani .
    Loved it - don't know why you'd think Kenya beaches weren't that good?
    This was before all the unpleasantness started so wouldn't go back to Diani.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Off to Kenya in a few weeks to do a bit of safari in Samburu and Masai Mara. Tend to do SA (Sabi, Addo), but have been to Botswana (Delta, Makadikadi), Namibia (Chobe river), Zambia (Zambezi).
    Hope you have a great time Should see some great elephant herds in Samburu, and the Mara this time of year will be great for predator / prey interaction

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Kenya safaris are 100% safe. Kenya beach resorts are risky, but then why would you go to Kenya for the beaches?!?

We do 1 or 2 safaris a year, and a few years ago spent 6 months in S. Africa living in a safari camp Best holidays ever, bar none If you are only going to do one safari, then the great migration in Kenya is the one to do - last time we spent 9 days at Il Moran camp, Kenya and a night before that at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi.

If you think you'll want to do more safaris, then do Botswana ... the Delta is just the most amazing place in the world, even comparing against the Pantanal and the Amazon. Tanzania is OK, been there a few times, but wouldn't put it in front of even Zambia or Zimbabwe.
    Off to Kenya in a few weeks to do a bit of safari in Samburu and Masai Mara. Tend to do SA (Sabi, Addo), but have been to Botswana (Delta, Makadikadi), Namibia (Chobe river), Zambia (Zambezi).

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Well that's a given, we too
    Safari in Africa is next big one, thinking of Tanzania (Kenya having too many Al-Shawadiwadi terrorists).
    Cars I can take or leave, I won't be thinking about a car on my death bed

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    If this is my post you are referring to them WTF are you on about?? Where do I refer to SIPPs? (If it wasn't my post then I apologise).

...?
    It's quite clear he was referring to Bob's post.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    WHS - I have rarely disagreed with a post as much as this ill-informed reference to pension liabilities.
    These bear no relation to a SIPP fund controlled by yourself especially with the flexible drawdown options.
    We will all be affected by state pensions being strangled/payout ages stretching out but that just makes it more important to make your own arrangements.
    If this is my post you are referring to them WTF are you on about?? Where do I refer to SIPPs? (If it wasn't my post then I apologise).

I ask you:

Please explain what you think the liabilities in the article refer to.

Then, how does what you invest in relate to your previous answer?

And what does your comment re: SIPPs have to do with the article at all?
    Last edited by GB9; 12 August 2016, 15:41. Reason: Clarification

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    In the days of defined benefits this was more likely, however they are few and far between these days. It is more likely anything you pay in is in a segregated fund, the value of which will rise and fall dependent upon what it is. What you get from it will depend upon its value when you start drawdown.

Some funds are far less liquid than others hence getting cash out of them can be difficult e.g. property.

Your father probably benefitted from high inflation in the 70s, 80s and 90's and was possibly on a defined benefit scheme. Issues arise when defined benefit schemes have promised a level of payout that can't be returned though investing in government debt I. E. When yield is minimal.
    WHS - I have rarely disagreed with a post as much as this ill-informed reference to pension liabilities.
    These bear no relation to a SIPP fund controlled by yourself especially with the flexible drawdown options.
    We will all be affected by state pensions being strangled/payout ages stretching out but that just makes it more important to make your own arrangements.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Yes but anyone with half a brain has known that paying into a pension today was paying the pensions of the already retired. This was mainly as a result of the Actuary industry getting the mortality projections vastly wrong, and it gave the retiring a better pension pot. Even My dad says he's been paid out 4 times over what he put in so there can only be one generation getting screwed as a result. Don't expect the millennial to pay for us because we have screwed them with lifelong sky high rental prices and mortgages. Even if they want to save they won't have the cash.
    In the days of defined benefits this was more likely, however they are few and far between these days. It is more likely anything you pay in is in a segregated fund, the value of which will rise and fall dependent upon what it is. What you get from it will depend upon its value when you start drawdown.

Some funds are far less liquid than others hence getting cash out of them can be difficult e.g. property.

Your father probably benefitted from high inflation in the 70s, 80s and 90's and was possibly on a defined benefit scheme. Issues arise when defined benefit schemes have promised a level of payout that can't be returned though investing in government debt I. E. When yield is minimal.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Whoosh!
    I can't. I know exactly what my pension pot is worth.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Mine too. But my understanding is that pension funds may not be able to meet their liabilities in the long term.
    Reading the article it looks like it is referring to liabilities to anyone who has bought an annuity (although it doesn't call that out explicitly). Possibly also guaranteed funds but there aren't that many about these days.

If you are building a pension pot then it will rise and fall dependent upon whatever you have invested it in.

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    My pansuon fund has increased by over 12% since we won the vote so can't see a problem myself. It's split across multiple sectors as you would expect, but not definitely not gold.
    Whoosh!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Mine too. But my understanding is that pension funds may not be able to meet their liabilities in the long term.
    Yes but anyone with half a brain has known that paying into a pension today was paying the pensions of the already retired. This was mainly as a result of the Actuary industry getting the mortality projections vastly wrong, and it gave the retiring a better pension pot. Even My dad says he's been paid out 4 times over what he put in so there can only be one generation getting screwed as a result. Don't expect the millennial to pay for us because we have screwed them with lifelong sky high rental prices and mortgages. Even if they want to save they won't have the cash.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I am investing in a power station which uses the cretinism on CUK to generate power.

While assguru still posts it will keep my pension pot alive.

HTH BISDI

Leave a comment:

Working...
X