• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Barbers Tipping Etiquette (NSFW)"

Collapse

• SuperZ
    replied
    I don't like tipping as I'm a scrooge. However, it depends on the price charged and quality of service. I get my hair cut for £8 and it's always a better cut than I get when I pay £17 elsewhere in the country, therefore I pay a whole quid tip......sometimes.

I don't really believe in tipping catering related staff however. Minimum wage and all that, and should be paid decent enough by the owners. Giving you a menu and plonking food on the table is not that much of a personal service.

I don't tip parking attendants either when they give me a ticket.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Why do we still tip at all?
    We are practising for when we go to the US or other countries where people rely on living on tips.

In the past it was because you knew the waitress was being paid an absolute pittance.

In the age of the minimum wage ( soon to be £9 per hour ) people should be being paid a reasonable amount for the work they are doing.
    Some of the people regardless of age are apprentice on feck all per hour - so you should tip them if possible.

If you tip the waitress and the barber, why not tip the supermarket checkout staff and the Amazon delivery guy? Why not tip the barmaid each time you buy a round? Did they also not provide you a service and they are not being paid more than the minimum.

( ps : Only added the barmaid so that FLC can make some crass comment. )
    I would happily tip some checkout staff and delivery people who go out of their way to be helpful. When you have had staff who barely do the minimum, though at the checkout that tends to be store dependent, it makes a real difference for someone to actually be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Why do we still tip at all?

In the past it was because you knew the waitress was being paid an absolute pittance.

In the age of the minimum wage ( soon to be £9 per hour ) people should be being paid a reasonable amount for the work they are doing.

If you tip the waitress and the barber, why not tip the supermarket checkout staff and the Amazon delivery guy? Why not tip the barmaid each time you buy a round? Did they also not provide you a service and they are not being paid more than the minimum.

( ps : Only added the barmaid so that FLC can make some crass comment. )

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Mine is a young lady, she comes to the house, cuts my hair and then gives me a relaxing full body massage.

£10 for the cut, then I tip her £50 for the extras.

Works for me.
    Wash, cut and bl@wjob, then

Leave a comment:

• CompulsiveArsonist
    replied
    Generally agree with rounding up but it all depends on the service, if you didn't like the service don't feel compelled to tip.

Some barber shops rent out their chairs so the barber will get to keep most of the tip perhaps that's why he is so insistent on a tip?

I usually get hair cut and beard trim, a bit of threading etc from my local (Iraqi Kurd) barber shop, usually end up paying £20 after rounding up etc.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Mine is a young lady, she comes to the house, cuts my hair and then gives me a relaxing full body massage.

Works for me.
    There is a place in Bournemouth that does that (a friend told me £40 extra)

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Works for me.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    My barbers have an app system, where you book and pay in advance, does away with the tip as there is no cash exchange.

In the past a £7.50 hair cut was normally paid with a £10 and a suggestion to keep the change to keep things simple, come to mention it same with taxi's, usually rounded up to the next full note (unless I am ubering and again no need to tip).

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Who here tips their barber still ? Do I just sound like a whinge bag (which is how I generally feel at the moment) ?
    Yes.

Also in those situations you are suppose to round up. If the place are too stupid and have made their cuts £5, £10 etc then it's their own fecking fault they get sod all from customers.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    She does.

wait till she manscapes you. She loves checking you are really smooth.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    at £5 (its piece work) seems mean not to give them a £1

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    I went for a scalping in Basingstoke recently and was spoilt for choice by the number of establishments offering personal grooming services.

Most of them run by folks of middle eastern origin. Have you ever noticed how these places only do one cut no matter what you asked for?

Anyhow, just when the finishing touches were being put to the back of my neck, the Kurdish gentleman who was attending to me got very animated about Turks in response to an innocent comment I had made about being partial to baba ganoush and started waving his cut throat razor around.

It got me thinking that it is prudent, when at the mercy of such an individual, to make it very clear that a handsome contribution to the establishment's annual p*ss up will be made upon egress from the shop.

Particularly in this day and age
    Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 29 July 2016, 13:37.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Are you saying MF is right in calling you a massive bellend?

MF never calls me (thankfully), unlike your wife.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    and I like to give her a big tip.
    Are you saying MF is right in calling you a massive bellend?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    So my local barbers (Turkish bunch) do a pretty good cut. However they are so unfriendly and ignore the customers, not even saying hello or thankyou, just talking amongst themselves in their own tongue. Oh and then expect a tip at the end, making remarks if customers don't as they are leaving.

Who here tips their barber still ? Do I just sound like a whinge bag (which is how I generally feel at the moment) ?

If they are talking in their own tongue, how do you know what the remarks are?

The Wife (tm) cuts my hair, and I like to give her a big tip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X