• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barbers Tipping Etiquette (NSFW)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My barbers have an app system, where you book and pay in advance, does away with the tip as there is no cash exchange.

In the past a £7.50 hair cut was normally paid with a £10 and a suggestion to keep the change to keep things simple, come to mention it same with taxi's, usually rounded up to the next full note (unless I am ubering and again no need to tip).
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Mine is a young lady, she comes to the house, cuts my hair and then gives me a relaxing full body massage.

£10 for the cut, then I tip her £50 for the extras.

Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Mine is a young lady, she comes to the house, cuts my hair and then gives me a relaxing full body massage.

Works for me.
        There is a place in Bournemouth that does that (a friend told me £40 extra)
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Generally agree with rounding up but it all depends on the service, if you didn't like the service don't feel compelled to tip.

Some barber shops rent out their chairs so the barber will get to keep most of the tip perhaps that's why he is so insistent on a tip?

I usually get hair cut and beard trim, a bit of threading etc from my local (Iraqi Kurd) barber shop, usually end up paying £20 after rounding up etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Works for me.
            Wash, cut and bl@wjob, then
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Why do we still tip at all?

In the past it was because you knew the waitress was being paid an absolute pittance.

In the age of the minimum wage ( soon to be £9 per hour ) people should be being paid a reasonable amount for the work they are doing.

If you tip the waitress and the barber, why not tip the supermarket checkout staff and the Amazon delivery guy? Why not tip the barmaid each time you buy a round? Did they also not provide you a service and they are not being paid more than the minimum.

( ps : Only added the barmaid so that FLC can make some crass comment. )

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Why do we still tip at all?
                We are practising for when we go to the US or other countries where people rely on living on tips.

In the past it was because you knew the waitress was being paid an absolute pittance.

In the age of the minimum wage ( soon to be £9 per hour ) people should be being paid a reasonable amount for the work they are doing.
                Some of the people regardless of age are apprentice on feck all per hour - so you should tip them if possible.

If you tip the waitress and the barber, why not tip the supermarket checkout staff and the Amazon delivery guy? Why not tip the barmaid each time you buy a round? Did they also not provide you a service and they are not being paid more than the minimum.

( ps : Only added the barmaid so that FLC can make some crass comment. )
                I would happily tip some checkout staff and delivery people who go out of their way to be helpful. When you have had staff who barely do the minimum, though at the checkout that tends to be store dependent, it makes a real difference for someone to actually be helpful.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't like tipping as I'm a scrooge. However, it depends on the price charged and quality of service. I get my hair cut for £8 and it's always a better cut than I get when I pay £17 elsewhere in the country, therefore I pay a whole quid tip......sometimes.

I don't really believe in tipping catering related staff however. Minimum wage and all that, and should be paid decent enough by the owners. Giving you a menu and plonking food on the table is not that much of a personal service.

I don't tip parking attendants either when they give me a ticket.

Comment

Working...
                  X