• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Byron Burgers are on me."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I thought you were deranged
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    Stopped reading after that as it's obviously all made up ...
    I thought you were my friend

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Well it's all tick-box now in immigration, no tick, no stay.

This couple came as students, which confers no permanent right to remain expect under 10 yea legal stay rule but students are capped at 5 years study to stop the perennial student loophole.

They hoped to switch to Post study Work visa after, but then it was withdrawn, as many visa schemes are, can't rely on them, and in any case again confers no right to permanent residency. Tough titty.

What they should have done (and probably tried to do) is find a T2 sponsor but lets face it, how can you justify employing a foreign student over an experienced local person? They didn't find one so off they must go, except they are dragging it on using the kids Gaelic education as a lever.

They don't tick the boxes, simple as.
    Indeed - keep it simple and nobody can complain.....

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    It does seem to me that they just get rid of people when it's easy to make up the numbers. Been various cases I recall, including a model and a footballer with major contracts, who were doing well in the UK. Since they probably can't get rid of them all, they should concentrate on the criminals or low performers. Reform the current human rights crap if necessary.
    Well it's all tick-box now in immigration, no tick, no stay.

This couple came as students, which confers no permanent right to remain expect under 10 yea legal stay rule but students are capped at 5 years study to stop the perennial student loophole.

They hoped to switch to Post study Work visa after, but then it was withdrawn, as many visa schemes are, can't rely on them, and in any case again confers no right to permanent residency. Tough titty.

What they should have done (and probably tried to do) is find a T2 sponsor but lets face it, how can you justify employing a foreign student over an experienced local person? They didn't find one so off they must go, except they are dragging it on using the kids Gaelic education as a lever.

They don't tick the boxes, simple as.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    If that was a post by DA I would have agreed with you. Unfortunately DA's entire post is just a copy of the Telegraph article that begins

Originally posted by telegraph.co.uk
    When I was much younger, I had a friend ...
    So it does confirm who the cretin is around here at the moment and that you have a mirror....
    Last edited by eek; 1 August 2016, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I had a friend with the surname Brain.
    That is sas's surname. Which complements his christian name of "Lame" admirably.

Leave a comment:

• CretinWatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

When I was much younger, I had a friend ...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I've been following this story due to my interest in immigration law
    It does seem to me that they just get rid of people when it's easy to make up the numbers. Been various cases I recall, including a model and a footballer with major contracts, who were doing well in the UK. Since they probably can't get rid of them all, they should concentrate on the criminals or low performers. Reform the current human rights crap if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    And this....

Australian Brain family 'hopeful' over deportation deadline - BBC News

I've been following this story due to my interest in immigration law, one of the reasons they think they should be granted ultra vires LTR is cos the kid now speaks Gaelic and would be unfair to reintegrate to Oz.

Of course, these people are white so will be interesting to follow this to the end.
    Oh, he'll be sent packing then.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And this....

I've been following this story due to my interest in immigration law, one of the reasons they think they should be granted ultra vires LTR is cos the kid now speaks Gaelic and would be unfair to reintegrate to Oz.

Of course, these people are white so will be interesting to follow this to the end.
    I had a friend with the surname Brain. He intended to marry a girl called Sarah-Jane......

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    And this....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The #BoycottByron mob don't want facts on immigration, just righteous fury

When I was much younger, I had a friend who went to Japan on his gap year to teach English. He told his parents he was going to improve his Japanese, when in fact he just wanted to drink saki and sing karaoke, while making a bit of cash on the side by finding work teaching English. It didn’t work out so well for him.

It quickly became clear that his Japanese adventure was going to take in nothing more than an interrogation room in Tokyo airport: he was trying to enter on a tourist visa and told border staff he would be funding his holiday by working. He was sent straight back to Heathrow pronto, and I don’t recall him garnering much sympathy from his family or friends when he arrived. In fact, I think the phrase “Serves you right, you complete numpty” was used quite liberally.

Yet change the character in this story from middle-class idiot to disfranchised burger flipper dreaming of a better life and the moral reaction to it changes. Take the recent outrage over claims that Byron, a burger chain with restaurants in England and Scotland, worked with the Home Office to have 35 of its staff deported back to countries including Brazil, Nepal, Egypt and Albania. That doesn’t sound so great, does it?

Then you discover that by “working with” the Home Office, the company was simply obeying the law by giving the Government access to workers who had used false documentation to get jobs, thus taking work away from other people (immigrants included).

Unions claimed that the staff were lured to their fates under false pretences – a health and safety meeting – as if these staff hadn’t themselves behaved in a similarly underhand fashion. The Unite union complained that the deportees wouldn’t get redundancy. I admit I gasped at this – imagine, defrauding your employers and then not getting a pay-off when they uncover your duplicity!

Inevitably, a hashtag was unleashed: #BoycottByron. Then on Friday, thousands of cockroaches and locusts were released into two of the chain’s restaurants in London. It wasn’t Byron’s CEO, or the Home Secretary Amber Rudd, who had to clear up the creepy crawlies; I am guessing it was the staff, who, we must presume, also lost their tips when the restaurants had to be closed.

The great virtue-signallers of social media valiantly announced they would not be spending £8 on a burger, to show solidarity for the deported workers. A mass protest has been announced for tonight, outside the company’s Holborn branch. In the post-fact world in which so many of us now languish contentedly (ignorance is, after all, bliss), Twitter blazed with accusations that Byron was happy to “exploit” illegal workers before throwing them to the wolves when it looked like it might get found out – the company was painted as a sort of Pied Piper of Hamburgers, leading innocents to their doom while posting handsome profits.

This despite there being no evidence for these claims. Byron fulfilled its legal duty by checking its workers’ documents, which turned out to be false. The fakes fooled Byron but were picked up by the Home Office, which has the final responsibiliy to verify immigration status. The system worked.

But the Boycott Byron movement is emblematic of a knee-jerk society where there is now only black and white, good versus evil; where you are right and anyone who doesn’t agree with you is not just wrong but wicked. Reality, of course, is more complicated than that, more nuanced than 140 characters will allow, but who wants nuance? For the Left, all immigrants are angels, even the illegal ones, while on the Right, all immigrants are criminals not to be trusted, even the legal ones. As for businesses, on Friday, a Unite official told the BBC that “all” employers didn’t care about their staff.

There is no doubt that the way in which the Byron workers were deported was heavy-handed; some were not allowed to collect their belongings, most were prevented from saying goodbye to colleagues.

Byron is actually a pretty good employer. There are no zero-hours contracts, all tips are handed back to staff, people are paid properly, and staff are given development training
    But then some might argue that it is also cruel to deprive others of work through illegal means. Would the people boycotting Byron rather see the company break the law, thus making them inadvertent supporters of people traffickers, not to mention liable for hundreds of thousands of pounds of fines, which would no doubt lead to the firm having to lay off migrants and others working in its restaurants? And imagine how quick the protest mob would be to complain if there was any evidence that Byron had broken laws providing a minimum wage or other rights for workers.

Byron is actually a pretty good employer. There are no zero-hours contracts, all tips are handed back to staff, people are paid properly, and staff are given development training.

This is, of course, the least that restaurant workers, British and foreign alike, should expect. Yet parts of the hospitality industry still do not meet such standards.

Meanwhile the Home Office can lack compassion for desperate people who have fallen foul of the rules: the Yarl’s Wood detention centre was labelled a “place of national concern” last year by the Chief Inspector of Prisons, and the Government is quietly closing Cedars, a removal centre for families, meaning once again, children seeking asylum will be held in adult detention centres.

Those are matters that deserve attention and debate, but it’s Byron, a company that has done nothing more than obey the law, that’s under fire. And that says much more about the protesters than the object of their righteous fury.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed any company needs to ensure its workforce is made up if proper employees and not wage slaves being pimped out by dodgy gangs.

The old 'we did our checks' line is simply not good enough.
    How far can you go, though?

If they meet the required documentation levels, you can't then stop them working for you. Either that or you unofficially change your employment policy to not take on foreign nationals on certain visas.

Can't believe there are calls to boycott Byron for doing the right thing. Then again, what do you expect from the protest lot? This is the sort of people who kick off anti-austerity riots which do nothing but cost more public money the thick chunts.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Indeed any company needs to ensure its workforce is made up if proper employees and not wage slaves being pimped out by dodgy gangs.

The old 'we did our checks' line is simply not good enough.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Cockroaches, locusts and crickets released into Byron burger restaurants by protesters after immigration swoop

Leave a comment:

Working...
X