• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Prime Day

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Prime Day"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    expensivo
    I have a Hitachi Li-Ion that I use very frequently and it rarely lets me down. Get two batteries. should be ~ £99. I look to replace every 5 - 10 years.

I have a cheap Li-ion ALDi drill screwdriver / drill which I put a holder with a pozidrive or pilot bit (hanging doors etc) in to save swapping bits and to make the bigger drill last longer.

I used to have a Makita/B&D/unamed NiCad drill but was forever buying a new £50 battery but the Li-ion batteries last so much longer and have more power for weight. The Makita was a nice drill though.

For hard Concrete & Engineering bricks or lots of holes in solid walls (battery drill will do few shelves etc but won't drill 50mm holes) I switch to my ALDi special <£15 on sale £25 normally which does almost anything.

Finally as mentioned above where its too hard for either I have a very similar one to the Champion SDS drill which will make lots of holes in most things and is great for chiselling away concrete, drilling tree stumps and making holes for wastes & Vents. at £50 ten years ago it was a real investment.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    In before the usual suspects....

Signing on?
    strange he said it was satisfying FLC's mother.

Lazy, I am your Father...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Try putting shelves up in my place with an £80 drill. It would be fun watching....
    If you'd read to the end of my post you'd have seen exemptions apply. Similarly the 600 year old Cornish farmhouse we bought with 2 foot thick granite walls (internal as well as external)

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    I had to resort to one of these for just about all drilling on the house:

Bad boy although mine is branded 'Champion', it has given sterling service so far and no job is proper these days until the SDS comes out.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY

Try putting shelves up in my place with an £80 drill. It would be fun smelling....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Rubbish. You don't need professional tools for drilling a few holes now and then for your shelves, you need them if you are going to be using them day in day out and/or drilling particularly hard stuff.
    Try putting shelves up in my place with an £80 drill. It would be fun watching....

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Only other thing I wanted was Dyson hand held but no luck.
    I wouldn't bother. It sucks.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Got enough suction power, old sport?
    I'll let you know tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I got a new cordless vacuum cleaner, £50 off
    Got enough suction power, old sport?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Bought a couple of blu ray boxsets for my collection.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I got a new cordless vacuum cleaner, £50 off

And some other stuff <buyers' remorse>

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Probably but ok for the limited use I have for it.
    You are not killing yourself??!?!

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    expensivo
    Obviously may be overkill for your situation.

Always worth remembering may be expensive, in initial outlay, but will pay for itself over the years.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £80 drill still crap.

Next time have a conversation with tradesman over where to buy decent drill and how much to spend on it.
    Rubbish. You don't need professional tools for drilling a few holes now and then for your shelves, you need them if you are going to be using them day in day out and/or drilling particularly hard stuff.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    Just got a FireTV for £50 odd. The sticks are only £19.99.
    I did the same, wanted to try FireTV with my 4k monitor and also bought a stick so I can use an old monitor in gym room (ok the garage).

Only other thing I wanted was Dyson hand held but no luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X