• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And todays Darwin Award winner is"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    I think he meant this story linky

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    KUATB

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Pet dog 'ate crack' then killed owner in front of BBC crew filming drug documentary | The Independent

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Wavey

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Just realised this is an old thread being brought back.
    Wavey

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Door should not crush people, that's pretty obvious. They should either re-open or the train should not be able to move until said person is removed from the train and told off.
    Same as car windows... children for instance are all too likely to do something stupid the moment you take your eyes off them
    Just realised this is an old thread being brought back.

At some point the doors have to close. Late passengers can't delay trains forever.
    The passenger is relying on the train's safety mechanism to allow them to board at a time that they should not be attempting to board.
    If the door re-opens, that tells said passenger (and any others) that if you just miss your train because you're too slow at getting there on time, then throw your hand into the closing door and the train will stop for another 30 seconds to let you board.
    ...and then another 30 seconds for the next tardy arrival, and then another, etc.
    ...and then the train company are to blame for late running trains.

The door should not open up again, it should stop closing, allowing said passenger to remove the object they inserted and wait on the platform. Maybe next time they'll make more effort to turn up before the train departure time.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Doesn't say much for the person.

You make something safe, some idiot will find a way of using that "safety" in a dangerous way - I.e. By pushing their hand into a closing door because it was too far closed for them to get in.

The passenger should be fined.
    Door should not crush people, that's pretty obvious. They should either re-open or the train should not be able to move until said person is removed from the train and told off.
    Same as car windows... children for instance are all too likely to do something stupid the moment you take your eyes off them

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    May I also add from I downloaded an app. And suddenly, was part of the Cajun Navy. - Houston Chronicle taken from Monday's Monday's Links

During flooding do not move from the first floor into the attic / loft, get on to the roof...
    It's amazing how people step up in a crisis and how others will refuse to do something out of panic that would save their lives.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    May I also add from I downloaded an app. And suddenly, was part of the Cajun Navy. - Houston Chronicle taken from Monday's Monday's Links

Around 11:30, I realized I hadn't heard Cowboy on the line with a report about Sassine Street. I asked on the app if we had had any update.
    My phone rang. It was Cowboy.
    "We got to Sassine. It's confirmed."
    "Confirmed?" I frantically asked. "Confirmed what? What does that mean? Does that mean they're dead?"
    "Yes. Water past the roof. They never left the attic. We sent divers in."
    During flooding do not move from the first floor into the attic / loft, get on to the roof...

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    But he didn't just slip into a pool. He ignored all the warning signs and walked 225 yards off the designated path!

Yellowstone National Park rangers fear man dead after reportedly falling into hot spring | Daily Mail Online
    And here's some more unfortunates in Italy:

Family of three die after falling into boiling mud as sink hole opens up in volcanic area in Italy

Poor little sod is orphaned in a whipstitch.

And, as if the thought of that isn't hideous enough:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...tack-rats-bed/

Attacked by rats in her bed.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 13 September 2017, 11:46.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    There's probably an EU a UK regulation on this.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Maybe it was the heat or something this weekend

but it has to be said the amount of stoopid, drooling, knuckle dragging derps seems to have been on the increase

nothing specific just a huge amount of basic stupidity

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    No can do, otherwise the trains would never leave because the late people on the platform would continue to hold them up. If you know the train will not move provided you can get something in to jam the door, then it will have to wait at the station until there is no one near the platform.
    Some trains do work that way though...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Agree totally, people are stupid. However if something gets caught in the doors you would expect them to either open, or or emergency brake to kick in.

No can do, otherwise the trains would never leave because the late people on the platform would continue to hold them up. If you know the train will not move provided you can get something in to jam the door, then it will have to wait at the station until there is no one near the platform.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Doesn't say much for the person.

You make something safe, some idiot will find a way of using that "safety" in a dangerous way - I.e. By pushing their hand into a closing door because it was too far closed for them to get in.

The passenger should be fined.
    Agree totally, people are stupid. Answer was a bit tongue in cheek. However if something gets caught in the doors you would expect them to either open, or or emergency brake to kick in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X