• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oh Dear, Wales

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear, Wales"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    It is true, as much as it pains me people still haven't moved on from the closure of the mines. Mind you the WAG haven't helped they're more interested in the cities yet they seem to forget that they need to improve the infrastructure in order to do it as transport is abysmal as it currently stands.
    This is true spartie. "Some" people in the valleys need to get away from this "woe is me theres no jobs around because we live in the valleys attitude" though I think.

Like I said, born and bred there. Lived tulipehole council estate, tulipe valleys school.

Lots of people cant see a world outside the valleys either. Even cardiff is like a foreign land with weird people there.

My old man is like that. In his mind, a pint of beer is £1.50 a pint because thats what it is in his tulipehole working mens club. Anything more is daylight robbery.

He is the valleys small minded person spot on my old fella. Refuses to use taxis (not for people like him). Is amazed I've got an accountant (thinks Im getting above my station!).

Bottom line - theres a whole world out there to think about and people need to realise that and change.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Spartie, I did say "SOME" and "A LOT" didnt I? :-)

You've got to admit its true though?
    It is true, as much as it pains me people still haven't moved on from the closure of the mines. Mind you the WAG haven't helped they're more interested in the cities yet they seem to forget that they need to improve the infrastructure in order to do it as transport is abysmal as it currently stands.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    No you're not you don't know them all
    Spartie, I did say "SOME" and "A LOT" didnt I? :-)

You've got to admit its true though?

Leave a comment:

• Milkyway
    replied
    Be interested to see how many people who voted leave did so for the following reasons:-

1. Immigration will stop immediately and we'll eventually throw people out.
    2. All the money that goes to the EU will now go and save the NHS.

Im betting theres going to be a fair percentage. I also wonder how many people in Ebbw Vale who voted Leave actually realise what parts of their town were rebuilt using EU money?

I'm not totally surprised. The valleys is like a timewarp in terms of attitude - my own Dad is the same. And there are some VERY VERY small minded and stupid people who still live there (my own family included). They'd believe any crap someone in the street/friends tell them (as does my Dad).

(BTW - Im allowed to say this having been born and brought up there).
    TBH, any of us can complain on any of the world's most stupid people... not only by the ones born there

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Be interested to see how many people who voted leave did so for the following reasons:-

Im betting theres going to be a fair percentage. I also wonder how many people in Ebbw Vale who voted Leave actually realise what parts of their town were rebuilt using EU money?

I'm not totally surprised. The valleys is like a timewarp in terms of attitude - my own Dad is the same. And there are some VERY VERY small minded and stupid people who still live there (my own family included). They'd believe any crap someone in the street/friends tell them (as does my Dad).

No you're not you don't know them all

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Dont get me wrong Im all for getting on your bike and getting work but what do you suggest?

The entire population of the valleys cant work in swansea, cardiff, or newport.
    home based working & businesses?

Cycling further?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Maybe they should consider emigrating, plenty of jobs available in the EU

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Dont get me wrong Im all for getting on your bike and getting work but what do you suggest?

Maybe they should consider emigrating, plenty of jobs available in the EU

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    maybe its the kick in the arse it needs.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The valleys have been declining for 20-30 years. EU money was only thing keeping it afloat.
    maybe its the kick in the arse it needs.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    OK smartarse, that £245m is per annum, so not even 1 weeks donation to the EU charity.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    52.5 per cent of Welsh voters backed leaving the EU during the referendum last week despite the region enjoying an annual net benefit of £245m from the UK's membership.
    It's ok, that can come out of the £350 million extra that's going to the NHS each week.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The Tories will just let it go into "managed decline" linky
    The valleys have been declining for 20-30 years. EU money was only thing keeping it afloat.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    That's what many brexiters have failed to understand it wasn't like a general election, it was a decision vote, not a protest vote.

qh
    Indeed, its just lucky lots of people (including most of the EU) wanted a change in the EU and Brexit was the only way to bring that about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X