• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What world do you live in?"

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by genius View Post
    Asking as I spotted a thread slamming a daily rate of £330 - roughly £80k a year - which is at the very least £50k take home pay a year. Is it really that bad? Do you know the average UK salary?
    Jeez, you can't even buy a pack of playing cards for £330 these days....

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    In the unlikely event the OP is not trolling.....

You're comparing apples with wheel barrows.

You should work on the assumption that you're going to work a max of 200 days / year, 10 months at around 20 working days per month.

That gives a gross income, before tax, insurance, accountancy fees, training, sick, pension, mobile phone, laptop, training and all of the other good stuff a decent permie would get of £66k.

Factor in the fact the client can let you go with zero notice, you could be out of work for an indefinite time, you could be forced to take a contract 100s of miles from home....

Still think £330/day is a lot? I'm not for one minute suggesting that it's a rubbish rate, but it's not the gross income you think it is.
    no wonder i sit on my bottom now for a living .

anyone got a gig resetting passwords for £599 a day ?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I'm the good looking one with nice hair.
    You are shorter than I imagined and your co star has to carry you.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post

You should work on the assumption that you're going to work a max of 200 days / year, 10 months at around 20 working days per month.

That gives a gross income, before tax, insurance, accountancy fees, training, sick, pension, mobile phone, laptop, training and all of the other good stuff a decent permie would get of £66k.

Factor in the fact the client can let you go with zero notice, you could be out of work for an indefinite time, you could be forced to take a contract 100s of miles from home....

Still think £330/day is a lot? I'm not for one minute suggesting that it's a rubbish rate, but it's not the gross income you think it is.
    ^ This. Add in enforced furlough which clients like to use these days, especially in Dec - Jan and sometimes in summer if many of the permie team are on holiday. Then find yourself with a medical condition leading to an operation and you might be really struggling.

Rates need to reflect reality of contracting these days.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Weather's looking nice Swindon way, at least.

New plane not arrived, yet then

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    What world do you live in?

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Just wondering what world you guys live in? Are you in touch with reality or has your daily rate got the better of you?

Asking as I spotted a thread slamming a daily rate of £330 - roughly £80k a year - which is at the very least £50k take home pay a year. Is it really that bad? Do you know the average UK salary?

Cheers
    Why do you think that £330 a day is a lot? There are loads of people in loads of professions earning way above that rate.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    WTF are you smoking today? All your posts today make sense
    You're stoned..........drink some orange juice and sort your feckin head out

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Pretty much it yes.

The reason no one knows my rate, is because its got sod all to do with anyone else, so that's why I don't belittle low rate, or fawn over high ones, I keep my cards close to my chest and most other good contractors do the same
    My rate probably varies more than others because I am prepared to stay away from home. I wouldn't expect a London rate in Manchester but nor would I expect a Manchester rate in London.
    If I get offered two roles, one in each place that are similar then rate is probably the biggest factor.
    I also take rates on a project-by-project basis, as most of these things are negotiable versus working from home, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    No it makes yours irrelevant. It's like your saying the daily rate should be £10,000 just in case they **** you off after a week. Your argument made no sense.
    You were the one talking yearly earnings, before and after tax.
    My argument is you don't have guaranteed yearly earnings, as you a a contractor.
    Anyway you're not even worth £330 so I doubt it will become a issue.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What are prof forums?
    Not general or light relief or social.

So B+C, A+L, etc.

Leave a comment:

• genius
    replied
    What are prof forums?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    No it makes yours irrelevant. It's like your saying the daily rate should be £10,000 just in case they **** you off after a week. Your argument made no sense.
    See what I mean.. Just trolling and looking for an argument, same as in the prof forums.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    330PD is great if going rate is 200PD
    330PD is absolute tulip if going rate is 500PD

HTHBISFDI
    Pretty much it yes.

The reason no one knows my rate, is because its got sod all to do with anyone else, so that's why I don't belittle low rate, or fawn over high ones, I keep my cards close to my chest and most other good contractors do the same

Leave a comment:

Working...
X