• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "transfering profits offshore"

Collapse

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    A bit of a myth, that big co's just "get away with it", i.e. HMRC just turn a blind eye.

http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/article...ments-26112015

Big corporations are taken through the mill. They can however afford very expensive lawyers.

You can do what Google do, but first you need a valuable marketing trademark worth a lot of money. What Google and Starbucks do is put their Marketing assets in an offshore company. They then charge out the marketing rights to the UK company.

If you could turn up to customers and say "I'm Google" and you have all the rights to sell all their products, you'd make a lot of money yep? and therefore you'd pay through the nose to get those marketing rights.

How would you value your marketing assets of your company "diseasex Ltd" ? my estimation would be that it is probably worthless in that respect.

What you need to do is make a huge name for yourself first, then you can setup an offshore company and charge out.
    Putin bought shares and withdrew from the deal , Which incurred high fees. I'm sure there are other examples

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    No UK agent will work with an IOM Ltd company so that kinda rules out that plan
    But an IoM company can invoice a UK company, and the UK company can invoice the agency - just adds a bigger consultancy chain

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    A bit of a myth, that big co's just "get away with it", i.e. HMRC just turn a blind eye.

http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/article...ments-26112015

Big corporations are taken through the mill. They can however afford very expensive lawyers.

You can do what Google do, but first you need a valuable marketing trademark worth a lot of money. What Google and Starbucks do is put their Marketing assets in an offshore company. They then charge out the marketing rights to the UK company.

If you could turn up to customers and say "I'm Google" and you have all the rights to sell all their products, you'd make a lot of money yep? and therefore you'd pay through the nose to get those marketing rights.

How would you value your marketing assets of your company "diseasex Ltd" ? my estimation would be that it is probably worthless in that respect.

What you need to do is make a huge name for yourself first, then you can setup an offshore company and charge out.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Yeah just freaking invoice your english consultancy some fees and you have money transfered which is LEGAL... Not news , i know, just pissed that everyone does it and not me because I don't want headache.
    Yes, probably legal(ish). The trick is to get the money back again without incurring any tax on it personally.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If everyone does it , why don't we?

wealthy getting wealthier, whereas we are working our asses off
    google, starbucks or cameron's father to name a few

Um...
    1. We are (relatively speaking) wealthy.
    2. We are (relatively speaking) not working our asses off.
    3. We are (relatively speaking) paying less tax than if we were employees.

So, stop feeling so hard done by. Think of how much you earned back in your home country. Think about how many BMW M5s you could have bought back then. Now you've got more money you're getting greedy very quickly. Stop it. It's not big and it's not clever.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    FTFY
    haha ok

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    FTFY
    just pissed that everyone does it and not me because I don't want @rse ache.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Be a pioneer, try it out and post back here, with the results.
    I understand HMPs have full broadband access, now.

Don't forget to pack your lube, if you are a "first timer"
    I know dude. Prefer to sleep at night to be honest. But this whole case pisses me off.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Yeah just freaking invoice your english consultancy some fees and you have money transfered which is LEGAL... Not news , i know, just pissed that everyone does it and not me because I don't want headache.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied

Be a pioneer, try it out and post back here, with the results.
    I understand HMPs have full broadband access, now.

Don't forget to pack your lube, if you are a "first timer"

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Yeah but opening a LTD on IOM won't be that expensive. 0% CT and if i've read that correctly 0% on dividends too.
    No UK agent will work with an IOM Ltd company so that kinda rules out that plan

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Yeah but opening a LTD on IOM won't be that expensive. 0% CT and if i've read that correctly 0% on dividends too.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Economies of scale basically, the typical contractor will at most have £50k a year in tax liabilities so not worth going through the expensive process of hiring the likes of Fonseca Mossack, the sums involved in off shore start in the millions

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Because there's a different rule of law for small people.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you need to ask that then you are not worthy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X