• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Well behaved children welcome"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Push their buttons to get them in line before they push yours. If they can push yours you haven't sufficiently learned as a parent. Or you're a lentil-muncher who insists the little twunt should be allowed to express themselves when they're simply being naughty.
    dead right - plan ahead - even a 3 year old can understand things if explained to them what is happening

but from the amount of Muppets you see in airport who for whatever reason seem to leave all sense of reason behind them when they get airside I guess it is rarely the kids fault

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Push their buttons to get them in line before they push yours. If they can push yours you haven't sufficiently learned as a parent. Or you're a lentil-muncher who insists the little twunt should be allowed to express themselves when they're simply being naughty.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Bollox. Children know you better than you know yourself. They push you to your limit - and just a bit beyond.
    Only if you're a bad parent.

(Yes, yes, I know... then you point to the mounds in the garden. "We used to have seven children. But then three misbehaved...").

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Bollox. Children know you better than you know yourself. They push you to your limit - and just a bit beyond.
    No, no they don't in every adult - child relationship there is one adult and one child - make sure if you are the adult you act like it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The main point was to demonstrate that all times mum/dad is in control.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I carry a set of cards with the number 1 to 9 on them and then grade the tantrum. Arms and legs thrashing and screaming are necessary for full points, as are parents who have completely lost the ability to control their child.

My children seldom had tantrums. When they started, one of us would pick 'em up, hold any flailing arms and/or legs, and take them out. If shopping alone, then the shopping trolley was abandoned. The main point was to demonstrate that all times mum/dad is in control.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I was on a train about a year ago where some parents were getting stressed at their(obviously bored) children.

I arranged for the twins to amuse them for an hour - which gave the whole carriage some peace.
    Please tell me that's not a euphemism.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    This was before my sledges deal and had to travel Economy.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Don't Thomas Cook have first class flights to the West Coast?

This was when I was still a poor contractor and had to travel Economy.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I was on a train about a year ago where some parents were getting stressed at their(obviously bored) children.

I arranged for the twins to amuse them for an hour - which gave the whole carriage some peace.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I've never flown Thomas Cook again.
    Don't Thomas Cook have first class flights to the West Coast?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I do find it annoying when you stump up to travel 1st-class on a train and in the quiet coach there are people with kids. Young kids can't be blamed if they haven't learned volume control properly but their parents can be blamed for being thoughtless.
    Correct. Up there with parents taking their kids to decent restaurants on Feb 14th or after 9pm.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Flying is a tough one. It is HORRIBLE being trapped near a screaming kid on a plane but there's realistically nothing much the parents can do and (if they're not awful people) they're probably rather embarrassed and hating it as much themselves. Maybe planes should offer free ear-plugs?

I do find it annoying when you stump up to travel 1st-class on a train and in the quiet coach there are people with kids. Young kids can't be blamed if they haven't learned volume control properly but their parents can be blamed for being thoughtless.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
    Yep agreed. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people tut and shake their heads for the smallest thing no matter what you try to do... the type of people who prefer if children are seen and not heard. Just ignore them and carry on. No doubt they popped into this world as fully grown (and intolerant) adults.

I find people who tut irritating and it's guaranteed to get an immediate response of me.

When my daughter was about 18 months she went on a plane for the first time, and from about 20 minutes in her temperature went up and she had a meltdown. Now it could be ear pressure, but she was distressed and cried. Being a crap Thomas Cook flight, they wouldn't let us in the galley and the toilet was tiny, and it was stressful for both me and the wife as having a screaming child isn't fair on anyone around, and so puts the stress back on you.

So up and down we went, trying to stay at the back of the plane, then coming back when it looked like she might calm down. Spent ages in the bogs at the back, but to no avail. Most people were sympathetic, but the woman in front of us, kept turning around, looking at my daughter, shaking her head and tutting.

After the about the forth time of these disgusted looks, she turned around, stared again, loudly tutted, and so I leant over and in no uncertain terms told her 'If you turn around, look at me and tut again, I'm going to pluck your ******* eyes out'

Took three years before we ever went on another flight, and I've never flown Thomas Cook again.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Reminds me of the time I took baby bp on a plane. He was aged 5 - but the size of a 7 year old. While getting on he totally freaked - screamed at the top of his lungs. I wrestled him into the plane. Most passengers covered their ears.

I nearly said "apologies he is autistic". But people should learn a bit of tolerance. People without disabled kids can be so smug. Autism is war - and if a child has it the whole family has it.
    Agreed. When my daughter does dance performances etc. then we make set of leaflets for her explaining her quirks and ask her to hand one to the supervising grownups. Other times we just have to handle it whichever way works e.g. she used to go mad if people starting singing "Happy Birthday" or giving a wedding speech because she knew people would clap after it so I had to take her out of the room.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X