• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Crosstrain as a contractor?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    When you are king of .NET, BizTalk and SQL Server, WHO needs to learn anything else in order to coin it in?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Is it just me? When somebody says "crosstrain as a..." my mind automatically adds "hairdresser"

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    a combination of b) and c)

I tend to train myself up for the next contract before the existing one finishes, that way you have the training & the experience. I view training as an investment, looking at courses with ROI opportunities. So I tend to go for the ones that start with 'ISEB...'.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Franko,

having said that, no point dwelling on the past

look to the future man !

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 20 October 2006, 14:40.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    No, didn't do .NET yet.
    I have already gotten 5 years of .NET 4.0 experience.

threaded.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    afternoon Franko,

I have a fine memory and remember the technology you had exposure to in 2002, it was your opportunity to get into it,

you passed it by.

Milan.
    No, didn't do .NET yet.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    afternoon Franko,

I have a fine memory and remember the technology you had exposure to in 2002, it was your opportunity to get into it,

you passed it by.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    I always created a little project for myself in my spare time to get confident with the technology. Once you are certain you have mastered it, just exaggerate/lie about how much you used it in your last contract/job.
    I also do that too. It's worthwhile doing it as an open source thing too so you get feedback from people using it and so the client can see your code.

<blatent-plug>For example, I did this when I was learning J2ME - http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobilesudoku</blatent-plug>

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    poor franko,

he had a chance to get onto the real gravy train in 2002, but he didn't take it

Milan.
    As usual you don't have a clue of what you are talking about.

2002 was the worst year ever in the last years. I have done contracts between 2001 and 2004 for your own record.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    poor franko,

he had a chance to get onto the real gravy train in 2002, but he didn't take it

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I always created a little project for myself in my spare time to get confident with the technology. Once you are certain you have mastered it, just exaggerate/lie about how much you used it in your last contract/job.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Well: Any and all of the following

1. Develop something to sell yourself in the chosen technology

2. Any chance to use it in a current contract take it

3. Take advantage of any training opportunities (MS have had some excellent free online training opportunities)

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Back to the original question.

I reckon the answer is (a).

I know of several people who have done this.

Personally I don't have the bottle.

tim

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Option C is my preferred training method.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    What's the preferred solution?
    d) Decide which technology you want some experience in, then find a contract where you have 99% of the required experience but not in your target area. Go to interview. Do contract. Gain experience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X