• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New Plan B

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Plan B"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Top tip to avoid contactless fraud: Keep multiple expired cards in your wallet so the device doesn't know which one to automatically charge.

Keeping a kit kat in your pocket in front of the wallet also used to work, until they got rid of the foil wrapper. Used to be known as the two finger salute unless you were a four fingerer.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    NLYUK and AndyW's mum have got RFID readers installed down under.

Charge per stoke, I heard

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    It's possibly to switch banks to one that doesn't do contactless.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Anyone tried Disabling Contactless Payment on Debit Cards ?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Sorry to POYF... RFID Card Wallet
    Bugger...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ahhh Faraday shield's. I used love those. The way it made your hair stand up and could give your friends shocks.. Lots of jolly japes...

But anyway...

I thought I'd seen one of these on both Kickstarter and another on Indiegogo alone... Gonna be knee deep in offerings soon.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    That said NFC & crap like Apple Pay baffle me even more.
    For a while I kept noticing that my phone would make a strange noise when I took it out my pocket and put it on the table when I got home. Eventually I realised it was because of my habit of putting the phone down on top of my wallet and it was talking to my credit cards via NFC, but not doing anything other than making a bonk noise.

What's the point of that then?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I bought a new leather wallet from M&S last year. I didn't even notice until I got it home that it has RFID shielding. I reckon the market's saturated by now

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I have previously asked my bank for non contactless cards - but seems they don't do them
    HSBC Premier will issue these if you ask them, for £ & $ cards. For some strange reason they only issue € cards as Amex Platinum charge cards, which noone accepts anyway, but just to be double sure they are not contactless.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Create a wallet with built in Faraday shield

I have previously asked my bank for non contactless cards - but seems they don't do them
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...=rfid%20wallet

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied

The whole proximity bank card thing baffles me. Why the hell did we go to the effort of Chip & PIN after years of ignoring the French with their Carte Bleu, then overlook the fact that Proton was a complete failure in Belgium due to fraud.

At least in the UK there appear to be floor limits. I had €618 put through a contactless terminal by my dentist on Wednesday.

That said NFC & crap like Apple Pay baffle me even more. I got stuck at Marks & Sparks at T5 behind a queue of people firing up iPhones and waving them around trying to pay for a sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    "CLARIFICATION: The picture in Paul Jarvis' post appears to have originally come from the Russian media. He has now deleted his Facebook post."

Flipping scare-mongering clowns everywhere....

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied

Sorry to POYF... RFID Card Wallet

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    started a topic New Plan B

New Plan B

A post has gone viral, after a man, Paul Jarvis, saw a thief scamming people out of their money in a tech-savvy manner.

He was putting through payments of less than £30 in a wireless card reader and touching it on wallets of unsuspecting people.

Working...
X