• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office chair and sit/stand desk recommendations"

Collapse

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I really want a new chair to replace my aging Arron. I’ve considered the Mirra 2 and Embody. I really like the look of the Steelcase Gesture but it seems very difficult to get hold of over here.

Leave a comment:

• vadhert
    replied
    I had a HM Mirra for 5 years until the base mesh went t|tts up.

Upgraded to the HM Embody which ended up as the best chair I've ever owned.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Just buy something that couldn't possibly be used for anything else but business....

Does it go faster than Warp 3?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Nice, well I priced up the version I wanted. 6 monitors etc and it’s only around 12k usd.

Looks rather uncomfortable for prolonged use.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Definitely more than just a gaming rig....

MWE LAB - Home
    Nice, well I priced up the version I wanted. 6 monitors etc and it’s only around 12k usd.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is it a gaming rig or personal mri or something even better?
    Definitely more than just a gaming rig....

MWE LAB - Home

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Just buy something that couldn't possibly be used for anything else but business....

Is it a gaming rig or personal mri or something even better?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
    I want to get a new office desk and chair, but how do you get around it being a business expenses when more than likely it will be in your home and just dual purpose?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    OK, so do you have an "office" in your house - a room that you use for work, and not much else?
    If so, to me that's fine.

If the place where you work at home is also where you have an xBox, a 65" TV and you spend most of your life playing World of Warcraft, then no, it's not OK.

This is what I have: Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Graphite/Polished Aluminium at John Lewis & Partners
    And since replacing a cheap chair with it, I'd not had as much back and shoulder pain, and my RSI has subsided
    Tbh even if you play computer games in your home office, how would HMRC even know? I don't know anyone that has their home office inspected.

Good choice of chair, I went for the one below but refurbished.

Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Mineral at John Lewis & Partners

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied

But this goes counter to HMRC's own advice where they say you need to work out the ratio of time needs to be calculated to split between personal and business use and the amount claimed to the percentage.
    What advice are you referring to? There is no such advice.

A company can provide an asset for its director/employee if it's needed to do their work. In such circumstances - where it was necessary for you to do your work - any personal use of an item will generally be considered insignificant so long as you can show that you needed the furniture for work. If you have a dedicated home office and work mostly from home that should be more than sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I'm with NixonWilliams, and they just pointed me to this:

Claiming Home Office Expenses | Nixon Williams Accountancy

But this goes counter to HMRC's own advice where they say you need to work out the ratio of time needs to be calculated to split between personal and business use and the amount claimed to the percentage.

Gut feeling is spend £250 HMRC won't bother, spend £x000 as suggested elsewhere and it starts to look dodgy!

OK, so do you have an "office" in your house - a room that you use for work, and not much else?
    If so, to me that's fine.

If the place where you work at home is also where you have an xBox, a 65" TV and you spend most of your life playing World of Warcraft, then no, it's not OK.

This is what I have: Herman Miller New Aeron Office Chair, Graphite/Polished Aluminium at John Lewis & Partners
    And since replacing a cheap chair with it, I'd not had as much back and shoulder pain, and my RSI has subsided

Leave a comment:

• InsertWittyNameHere555
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Speak with your accountant.
    I'm with NixonWilliams, and they just pointed me to this:

Claiming Home Office Expenses | Nixon Williams Accountancy

Office furniture
    When purchasing office furniture such as a computer desk, filing cabinet or chair, you should consider whether there will be any personal use of the item as this could have an impact on whether it is considered an allowable expense. If your private use of the item is insignificant then you will need to be able to demonstrate this to the satisfaction of HMRC.

However, if the item cost is deemed reasonable then it is unlikely that inclusion as a business expense would be questioned. This amount usually falls under around £300.

If you are called upon to justify the usage of your furniture by HMRC, you will need to consider how much time you spend using the item for business purposes. For example, if you have a piece of office furniture which you use only intermittently for work purposes, it would be difficult to prove that your personal use is less significant than your work use.

Gut feeling is spend £250 HMRC won't bother, spend £x000 as suggested elsewhere and it starts to look dodgy!

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by MrButton View Post
    Ikea now to a motorised sit stand desk. Actually seemed quite nice for Ikea.
    I've had an Ikea one for a few years now - good sized desk, works fine, no problems with it.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I have a 'glorious workbench':

It's very glorious.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Ikea now to a motorised sit stand desk. Actually seemed quite nice for Ikea.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X