• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "And now they want to steal our cash..."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    This might help:

Where does CUK fit into all this?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Before they promised to pay in gold, and now they don't even want to pay anything...
    This might help:

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

One of the reasons I try to pay by card these days. I touch very few £1 coins.

I don't understand why smaller retailers won't take card payments below a few pounds. Handling cash costs money. And then there is a chance you will get a few fakes.
    Link removed as in this case knowledge isn't power.

Business banking tariffs in this country are odd.

It's still cheaper to walk to the sub-post office every day with the cash takings then to hire all the equipment and pay the charge per transaction on very small payments. (I've looked into this for other people.)

In countries that are cashless they don't have free consumer banking so the customer pays for using their card. Either each time, in a monthly account fee or above a certain number of monthly transactions.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Silly cos then they will just use smaller notes and coins.

Loads of one pound coins are fraudulent in the UK. Once I knew what to look for I off loaded all found, which as it's illegal I won't tell anyone else what to look for.
    How can I spot a fake £1 coin? - Telegraph

One of the reasons I try to pay by card these days. I touch very few £1 coins.

I don't understand why smaller retailers won't take card payments below a few pounds. Handling cash costs money. And then there is a chance you will get a few fakes.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Scottish notes are legal currency, but aren't legal tender.

Legal tender simply means that if you pay your debt in legal tender, then you cannot be sued for non-payment. Since the bus driver refused entry, there was no debt, so even if it had been legal tender, he'd have been under no obligation to accept it.

Restaurants, garages and other places where you typically receive the service before paying are a different matter.
    Thank you Steve Davis.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Think it is the yanks that want to get rid of the 500 euro as it is the note of choice used in dodgy transactions
    Silly cos then they will just use smaller notes and coins.

Loads of one pound coins are fraudulent in the UK. Once I knew what to look for I off loaded all found, which as it's illegal I won't tell anyone else what to look for.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm surprised the article didn't mention some European body wants to get rid of the largest denomination note in every currency so it's harder to launder money.
    Think it is the yanks that want to get rid of the 500 euro as it is the note of choice used in dodgy transactions

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Scottish notes are legal currency, but aren't legal tender.

Legal tender simply means that if you pay your debt in legal tender, then you cannot be sued for non-payment. Since the bus driver refused entry, there was no debt, so even if it had been legal tender, he'd have been under no obligation to accept it.

Restaurants, garages and other places where you typically receive the service before paying are a different matter.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?
    Legal tender does not mean merchants have to take it

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that it does not mean jack tulip in this country even though it's officially legal tender
    In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    "That's legal tender pal" is not said often enough.
    I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that it does not mean jack tulip in this country even though it's officially legal tender

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So much for that banknote declaration "I promise to pay the bearer ...".
    Before they promised to pay in gold, and now they don't even want to pay anything...

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Went to Moscow a few decades ago and found when you spent notes at the airport they gave you sweets instead of change. Maybe abolish notes and trade in Fruit Pastilles or Maltesers instead.

Seriously this is a pain. Got £65k in a savings accounts and just been told the interest rate is going from 0.75% to 0.25%. Don't want to move it into some longer term account as looking to buy some land.
    If I had £65k that I needed to keep liquid, I would be getting myself an early place on an order for a mid range sports car that is going to have a waiting list.

Or blood diamonds, blood diamonds are always good thanks to De Beers.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Santander current account 3% up to 20K, just fund from another account
    Do have one of those with another 20k in. May have to start another or similar, perhaps finally shut down my NatWest account.

how is your land grabbing neighbor doing
    Shot him years ago. They haven't found the body yet.

Why not buy a house? Prices can only go up, up and away. Surely 65k will get you something decent in London
    I could probably get a palace in the DCR! Must have a look at that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Got caught out trying to get onto a bus with only a Scottish ten pound note. "what's that". "It's ten pounds". No it ain't, get off the bus"
    You disgust me, passing up an opportunity for a rant.
    "That's legal tender pal" is not said often enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X