• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And now they want to steal our cash...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Went to Moscow a few decades ago and found when you spent notes at the airport they gave you sweets instead of change. Maybe abolish notes and trade in Fruit Pastilles or Maltesers instead.

Seriously this is a pain. Got £65k in a savings accounts and just been told the interest rate is going from 0.75% to 0.25%. Don't want to move it into some longer term account as looking to buy some land.
    Getting the best high interest savings account

Santander current account 3% up to 20K, just fund from another account.

Best interest paying current accounts | This is Money

gives a nice bit of cashback too.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Xog,

how is your land grabbing neighbor doing ?

are you going to buy the bit he grabbed off him ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Bank of England’s chief economist, Andy Haldane, openly pondered ways of imposing negative interest rates on cash – ie shrinking its value automatically. You could invalidate random banknotes, using their serial numbers.
        So much for that banknote declaration "I promise to pay the bearer ...".

If they started randomly invalidating banknotes, they could hardly prosecute forgers for uttering false tokens. So we could start printing our own
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          £50 notes are very convenient when buying a hooker. A mate once told me.
          You don't buy, as with all women you only rent them
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            Got caught out trying to get onto a bus with only a Scottish ten pound note. "what's that". "It's ten pounds". No it ain't, get off the bus"
            You disgust me, passing up an opportunity for a rant.
            "That's legal tender pal" is not said often enough.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Santander current account 3% up to 20K, just fund from another account
              Do have one of those with another 20k in. May have to start another or similar, perhaps finally shut down my NatWest account.

how is your land grabbing neighbor doing
              Shot him years ago. They haven't found the body yet.

Why not buy a house? Prices can only go up, up and away. Surely 65k will get you something decent in London
              I could probably get a palace in the DCR! Must have a look at that.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Went to Moscow a few decades ago and found when you spent notes at the airport they gave you sweets instead of change. Maybe abolish notes and trade in Fruit Pastilles or Maltesers instead.

Seriously this is a pain. Got £65k in a savings accounts and just been told the interest rate is going from 0.75% to 0.25%. Don't want to move it into some longer term account as looking to buy some land.
                If I had £65k that I needed to keep liquid, I would be getting myself an early place on an order for a mid range sports car that is going to have a waiting list.

Or blood diamonds, blood diamonds are always good thanks to De Beers.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  So much for that banknote declaration "I promise to pay the bearer ...".
                  Before they promised to pay in gold, and now they don't even want to pay anything...

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    "That's legal tender pal" is not said often enough.
                    I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that it does not mean jack tulip in this country even though it's officially legal tender

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that it does not mean jack tulip in this country even though it's officially legal tender
                      In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X