• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tory Tax Cuts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tory Tax Cuts"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Sounds nice. One of the attractions of a narrow boat would be knowing that MF can't drop round.

The after effects of MF "dropping round" your narrowboat!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's not necessarily a good thing (although if it includes a falling teen birth rate then that's a good thing).
    It was reported in the main stream press linky and linky

I got the ages wrong at the lower end it's under 20 year olds.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    how much?
    Assuming you're on the move then you'd have to factor in:
    Annual license.
    Fuel.
    Safety certificate every 5 years (which is out of the water which again costs)
    Renew hull blacking every other year (out of the water again), more often of you're not careful.
    Regular engine servicing.

Initial cost of the boat is dependant on age and condition but one that is 'live aboard' and reasonably new would be around £80K.
    If you lived on board full time you won't have to pay Council tax.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah that's an extreme example.

Anyway apparently more women over 40 in the UK have been giving birth than girls under 18 for the last two years.
    That's not necessarily a good thing (although if it includes a falling teen birth rate then that's a good thing).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.
    how much?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Anyway apparently more women over 40 in the UK have been giving birth than girls under 18 for the last two years.
    Latest stats: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...dandwales/2015

In 2015, over half (53%) of all live births in England and Wales were to mothers aged 30 and over and two-thirds (68%) of fathers were aged 30 and over.

The average age of all fathers increased to 33.2 years in 2015, compared with 33.1 years in 2014. For mothers the average age was 30.3 years compared with 30.2 years in 2014.

The average age of first-time mothers was 28.6 years in 2015, compared with 28.5 years in 2014.

In 2015, 84% of babies were registered by parents who were married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting.

In 2015, 39% of live births were first births, 36% were second births and 15% were third births.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    You have a very blinkered view of the world. Lots of women and their accompanying male partners still have children when they are 60 who are dependant on them. It's actually becoming more prevalent due to second marriages and some women putting of children until later.
    64-year-old woman gives birth to twins - CNN.com

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by deebeegee View Post
    But why wait until you die? Why not use what you have accumulated in your lifetime to do something meaningful with/for your descendants today?
    Why not let the person who owns the money decide for themself?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Well I'm getting close enough to that age now to start thinking. I can assure you the older you get the easier it is to spend money on the things you want.
    Spending 6 months a year on my narrow boat would come very nearly top of that list, and I guess by the time I'm in my 80's I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.
    Sounds nice. One of the attractions of a narrow boat would be knowing that MF can't drop round.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    But why wait until you die? Why not use what you have accumulated in your lifetime to do something meaningful with/for your descendants today?

And dependents? Assuming you live to 60 how would you still have any? And if you know you have some then get insurance in place to look out for them.
    You have a very blinkered view of the world. Lots of women and their accompanying male partners still have children when they are 60 who are dependant on them. It's actually becoming more prevalent due to second marriages and some women putting of children until later.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Well I'm getting close enough to that age now to start thinking. I can assure you the older you get the easier it is to spend money on the things you want.
    Spending 6 months a year on my narrow boat would come very nearly top of that list, and I guess by the time I'm in my 80's I might not be able to physically do it any more, but 20 years keeping one of those in good nick will set you back a bit.

pay for things like making a decent education genuinely available to everyone
    Given how much Tax I've paid over the years for that (and other reasons, noting that MP salary, CS pensions are not normally included in the list you're talking about) that not enough?

Leave a comment:

• deebeegee
    replied
    Never understood that mentality, surely you pass it on to your dependants/decendants?

And dependents? Assuming you live to 60 how would you still have any? And if you know you have some then get insurance in place to look out for them. The age at which people inherit real money is approaching 60-
    Why inheritance is 'dead' for a generation in middle age - Telegraph
    What are you going to do at that age to change your life? use the money to fund a degree and reap the rewards for the last few years before your state sanctioned retirement? move into a massive mansion with 6 empty bedrooms so that your offspring can visit you once a year?

Wouldn't it be better if HMRC collected whatever hasn't been spent in a lifetime and used it to pay for things like making a decent education genuinely available to everyone?

And it's not all lefty snowflake virtue signalling, the only person i know who has inherited loadsamoney when young enough to do something with it, and has a very expensive education to really know better, gained such an entitled attitude to life that he basically retired early. Unfortunately he didn't manage his money and now works in a bar where he doesn't earn enough to heat his massive house.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    than take it to the grave
    Never understood that mentality, surely you pass it on to your dependants/decendants?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Remove child 'credits' for those earning over £25,000
    I think it's child TAX credits, not credits that entitle you to children

I'd like to see inheritance tax hiked further:
    - More incentive to spend what you have rather than take it to the grave
    - Levels the playing field for future generations
    Why is it important to level the playing field? And why by bringing everyone down to the same level... if IHT was changed to disburse the money directly to the population rther than to HMRC at least it levels things out so some people are better off not everyone the same or worse.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X