• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can you post something interesting?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    It's "tl;dr"

Can you post a quick summary?
    Drivel
    Bored now
    Drivel
    Om
    Drivel
    Pali

Drivel

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    What is wrong with tpd?
    It's "tl;dr"

Can you post a quick summary?

Leave a comment:

• Gumbo Robot
    replied
    Something, ahem, interesting that I've just learned.

I think you have to be at least 45 to remember the Old Grey Whistle Test but do you know why it was so called?

The show’s presenter Bob Harris once explained that the name came from an old Tin Pan Alley expression.

When the first pressing of a record was made, they would play it to the doormen who were known as the “old greys” because they wore grey suits.

If they could remember the song and whistle it after one or two listens, it had passed the old grey whistle test.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    I bought some Robinson hyperconcentrated fruit squash to enliven my bottle of drinking water. On the pack it says 'avoid contact with eyes'.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Try gmx.com - It's very slick, and always seems to be available, and you'll have a shorter email address.

Now I just have to take my own advice, and shift everything over from Yahoo Mail to gmx.com.

But it will be a monstrous task, because I have dozens of contacts and subscriptions etc who all use my Yahoo address.
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    I use gmx also, make sure you install ad-blocker plus. Also set up the email gatherer for your old accounts makes life easier. Plenty of on-line storage also. Also ensure you reserve the .com version of the address if you want it really short.
    What reply address shows in any email you send out?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Would you like an interesting post in this thread, or an interesting thread?
    What is wrong with tpd?

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    I'm sure they've moved the buttons in Yahoo Mail in the last few days - When deleting an email, I often press the "Archive" button!
    Yes! Feckers. It has ruined my Yahoo mail management productivity rate.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Isn't that exactly what xbox/wii/megadrive/etc were when they first came out - niche products, but now only played with by loners who don't interact with people in the same room as them, instead wear their headsets and play world of warcraft while chatting to other loners around the world?

At least VR has applications outside of playing cartoon games - some of the development being done for medical and engineering training are very promising.
    Well the Wii was more about getting people together, which is why "real" gamers were turned off. I was only talking about gaming; other applications might well turn out to be compelling, but as an entertainment medium I think it's a dead end.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Would you like an interesting post in this thread, or an interesting thread?

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Just had a bob agency on the phone

..Are you available for contracts

. yes

.. Will you consider permanent

. no

.. What's your contract rate

. blah blah blah

.. will you consider permanent

. no

.. We have this Php developer role

. I do .Net web applications

.. You do Dart Net, is that Javascript

. no

.. So you don't want a Php role in Croydon

. I wouldn't want any role in Croydon unless you supplied body armour and my own personal tank for transportation

(They put the phone down at last)

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    VR? Niche product, not going to change anything owing to the lack of shared experience with people in the same room. If you're a loner with dosh who doesn't get motion sickness, enjoy.

Isn't that exactly what xbox/wii/megadrive/etc were when they first came out - niche products, but now only played with by loners who don't interact with people in the same room as them, instead wear their headsets and play world of warcraft while chatting to other loners around the world?

At least VR has applications outside of playing cartoon games - some of the development being done for medical and engineering training are very promising.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    I use gmx also, make sure you install ad-blocker plus. Also set up the email gatherer for your old accounts makes life easier. Plenty of on-line storage also. Also ensure you reserve the .com version of the address if you want it really short.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Yahoo mail is the WORST. I use it and the search functionality is so bad. You can click an e-mail and click 'find all messages from this sender' and I usually get 0 results, including the e-mail that I did it on. I need to switch because I often can't find e-mails I've received in the past which creates problems confirming stuff.

I think I will switch to gmail although I don't like gmail much.
    Try gmx.com - It's very slick, and always seems to be available, and you'll have a shorter email address.

Now I just have to take my own advice, and shift everything over from Yahoo Mail to gmx.com.

But it will be a monstrous task, because I have dozens of contacts and subscriptions etc who all use my Yahoo address.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    VR? Niche product, not going to change anything owing to the lack of shared experience with people in the same room. If you're a loner with dosh who doesn't get motion sickness, enjoy.
    Nah, no way zuckerberg paid all that money without being certain it was the future.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    I'm sure they've moved the buttons in Yahoo Mail in the last few days - When deleting an email, I often press the "Archive" button!

Actually, is Yahoo likely to be around much longer? Maybe I should archive all my old emails!

OK, you've had your treat - Now back to work!
    Yahoo mail is the WORST. I use it and the search functionality is so bad. You can click an e-mail and click 'find all messages from this sender' and I usually get 0 results, including the e-mail that I did it on. I need to switch because I often can't find e-mails I've received in the past which creates problems confirming stuff.

I think I will switch to gmail although I don't like gmail much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X