• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Die englischer garten dis morgen"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    English is considerably easier to pick up reasonable fluency than German is. One of the factors is that if you mispronounce an English word to an English person, there's a fair chance they'll understand what they mean. But get your ie/ei the wrong way round, or bungle your umlauts, and they'll look at you blankly. When I said I was having a ski holiday at Davos (standard English pronunciation) they had no idea where I was going - until I say dah-v[oh]s, with the emphasis on the second syllable. Personally I think they do it to annoy.
    The french are the same.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    English is considerably easier to pick up reasonable fluency than German is. One of the factors is that if you mispronounce an English word to an English person, there's a fair chance they'll understand what they mean. But get your ie/ei the wrong way round, or bungle your umlauts, and they'll look at you blankly. When I said I was having a ski holiday at Davos (standard English pronunciation) they had no idea where I was going - until I say dah-v[oh]s, with the emphasis on the second syllable. Personally I think they do it to annoy.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yeah - Der Englische Garten an diesem Morgen. As I said - awful language.

Awful language nothing, some wains back home cannot even speak english dat well/good.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Another pic

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Or 'Der Englische Garten an diesem Morgen'?

Capital 'M' too, remember!
    Yeah - Der Englische Garten an diesem Morgen. As I said - awful language.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Only -5 and no snow where I am. But skiing in the Black Forest tomorrow.

Dieser isn't good German - you should use heute. Literally "today morning". Der Englische Garten heute morgen

The awful German language.
    Nah, that's the Bobs you're thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Dieser isn't good German - you should use heute. Literally "today morning". Der Englische Garten heute morgen

Or 'Der Englische Garten an diesem Morgen'?

Capital 'M' too, remember!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

'Heute morgen' ist möglich, oder?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Nominative I think, so dieser Morgen.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

You're absolutely correct. Forever making that mistake. I'm just happy I'm understood most of the time!

Taking 2-3 months out of working life this year to study the language. It's beyond irritating now.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Die englischer garten dis morgen

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    My missus is a fluent German speaker and I well remember her learning nouns with the article - whilst there are some rather flaccid rules you can apply, the proper way is to learn it with the article too.

And its '...diesen Morgen' isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    der Garten.

I think. I spent ages trying to memorize bloody german noun genders; please don't confuse me now.
    My missus is a fluent German speaker and I well remember her learning nouns with the article - whilst there are some rather flaccid rules you can apply, the proper way is to learn it with the article too.

And its '...diesen Morgen' isn't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X